Citigroup: Apple to order 90 million units of the Apple iPhone 6 from Foxconn this year
While Apple is continuing to show growth in the number of iPhone units it will take delivery of this year, growth of smartphones globally are forecast to slip to 28% in 2014 from 40% last year. Such shipments in markets considered "mature" are predicted to grow 4% this year, down from 5% last year.
The latest speculation has the Apple iPhone 6 launching as soon as July, although that is based on an analysis of the supply chain by Mizuho Securities analyst Abhey Lamba. The analyst expects the Apple iPhone 6 to be released in July with a 4.7 inch screen, followed by a fall release of a 5.5 inch Apple iPhone phablet.
1. msa1988 (Posts: 417; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
Has Apple been innovative recently? Not necessarily, but neither has anyone else. Is Apple still desirable? More than ever! Bring on the IP6!
6. LiyanaBG (Posts: 307; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
let them set in the warehouse like the 2 million iphone 5 cheap
11. LiyanaBG (Posts: 307; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
15. Sauce (unregistered)
The 5c still manages to sell better than some of these "feature phones" lol.
24. Sauce (unregistered)
You don't understand what I am saying.
The 5c, as stupid and bad people claim it to be, as well as poor sales numbers, still manages to sell more than other feature phones lol.
27. EclipseGSX (limited) (Posts: 1587; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Because it has the word i and Phone in it. Not because it is better by any means so don't kid yourself.
29. Sauce (unregistered)
Keep using that as an excuse lolololol
23. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I have no desire to own an iphone - I mean it would be cool to get a 5.5 inch version, but then after a few days I would be bored with it and sell it - rather have the coolpad 9976A, codenamed HALO...
26. flipjzn (Posts: 147; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
2. PBXtech (Posts: 977; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Shouldn't be an supply shortages like previous years.
13. Finalflash (Posts: 1737; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Depends, they plan to release it earlier probably to compete with Samsung phone to phone and phablet to phablet. The only things that can cause shortages are supply of components and such. This is going to be an interesting year.
3. jove39 (Posts: 1281; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
With new large screen phone & phablet in portfolio, apple must be expecting more cross shopping...5.5" phablet is what I am excited for to see what apple really do with more screen space.
9. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Be able to fit more square icons on the screen?
14. Finalflash (Posts: 1737; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I doubt they'll do anything amazing OS wise since iOS has shown to less than flexible. Plus they don't do a hardware upgrade and software shenanigans in the same year to mitigate their release issues (why screw both up), so for that people will likely have to wait till next year.
4. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
good big screen always good. but 5.5 inches iphone should be above 900 bucks
16. Sauce (unregistered)
They wouldn't increase the price. If they did, better for me. Buy an iPhone 6 on contract, or using the Next program, get Apple care, report phone stolen, get second iPhone 6 for $150, sell in Brazil for $3000 US Dollars. Boom.
28. EclipseGSX (limited) (Posts: 1587; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
So commit insurance fraud....really?!
5. nctx77 (Posts: 503; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Rather I get the 5.5 inch phablet depends on the design. If there is truly a edge to edge screen, then I may bite.
8. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
...and iPhone 5(6)c is dead in the water...Nice try though for trying to introduce a cheap but not so cheap iPhone to the market.
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6448; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
and more people be dying every other day by building the iphone 6
17. Topcat488 (Posts: 1144; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Well, it looks like the workers at Foxconn is going to be working a lit---tle more OVER TIME! Stretch out the nets around the plant, for the season has arrived again.
19. Caralho (Posts: 119; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
If paid overtime existed at Foxconn, that is...
18. Scott93274 (Posts: 901; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
So, is this year's big feature sapphire glass which is actually a step backwards from Gorilla Glass? Larger displays are the norm for the rest of the smartphone market, nothing innovative about that... But definitely something to look forward to for everyone forced to use such a small screen all these years. I'm really waiting for some real official announcements.
22. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 929; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Why is it a step back, because some guy at Corning said so? News flash, chief, but competitors distort facts about the competition every second of every day.
As for Gorilla Glass, without Apple and the iPhone, it would still be an unknown product sitting in Corning R&D. If Apple has decided to go a different direction, chances are that they have good reasons.
20. TechFreak123 (Posts: 83; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
So now instead of 3 million iPhone 5c in the inventory they'll have more than 30 million.