Pixel 5a: Google's flagship killer might kill the Pixel 6 instead18
Thanks to Jon Prosser - leakster and tech-joker in charge, we know that the Google Pixel 5a is expected to become a reality on August 26th. Without keeping you on your toes, let’s jump straight to the specs of the upcoming budget Google device (according to Prosser), and then see why it might be the best Pixel for you if it’s… available where you live.
Google Pixel 5A specs: Kinda Big, Mostly Black, Definitely Water-resistant
Side note: I insist while reading you put the emphasis on the third syllable of “resis(tant)”, so my rhyme works out. Thanks!
- Color: Mostly Black
- Display: 6.4-inch, 60Hz – forced 90Hz (we assume this means a 90Hz variable refresh rate for saving battery life)
- Processor: Snapdragon 765G
- Battery: 4650mAh
- Wireless charging: No
- RAM: 6GB
- IP67 water and dust-resistant
Google Pixel 5A: If Pixel 4A (5G) and Pixel 5 had a baby
If you’re familiar with Google’s existing lineup of phones, you’ll know that although the Pixel 5A is indeed a new device, it isn’t exactly anything new:
- The biggest screen across the lineup (until the Pixel 6 Pro comes out)
- The biggest battery across the lineup (as of now)
Apart from that, it’s basically a fusion of the Pixel 4A (5G) and the Pixel 5. Interestingly, you lose the metal-ish body of the Pixel 5, but you gain a headphone jack. Then, the Pixel 4A (5G) is more compact, but you gain water resistance and a 90Hz screen with the 5A. So, really, at just $50 more, if we compare it to the 4A (5G), it’s a win for the 5A. You should buy one! Oh, wait…
Google Pixel 5A availability: New Pixel, but same old Google
You know what’s the best reason not to buy a phone? Well, if it’s not available to buy. As you might already know, you won’t be able to buy a Pixel 5A unless you are in the US or Japan. We understand Google’s decision to launch the Pixel 5A in the US, but Japan?!
The availability situation over at Google has never been exactly amazing, as the Pixel 5 launched in nine countries. The Pixel 6 series is initially expected to launch in only eight countries, and previous devices have a similarly poor track record in that regard.
Google Pixel 5A: Party in the USA… and Tokyo
However, at its core, the Google Pixel 5A will carry the some of the Pixel 6 identity - Android 12 and Google’s photo processing (probably not Google’s upcoming video processing, which Tensor powers). Apart from that, it simply looks like a great all-around device that happens to run pure Android and will take photos with “that Pixel look”.
In the end...
- We are confused about why Google decides to launch a phone that’s pretty similar to the Pixel 5, instead of just lower its price with the launch of the Pixel 6 (you know - like Apple does every year).
- We are confused with Google’s decision to launch the Pixel 5A in only two markets (and again - why Japan?).
- We are confused about whether Google makes phones to sell or to… show off?!
However, if you happen to live in the US or Japan, you’ll definitely have one more great option to consider in case you can’t afford the upcoming Pixel 6 or in case you just want a great mid-range device. If you live elsewhere… Better luck next time.
This story is part of:Google Pixel 5a leaks (11 updates)