If available, would you have picked a version of your current smartphone with two SIM slots for $10 extra? (poll results)

If available, would you have picked a version of your current smartphone with two SIM slots for $10 extra? (poll results)
According to Strategy Analytics, up to a third of global smartphone sales in 2016 will be of devices with two SIM slots. Before the year is out, the research firm estimates that some 431 million dual-SIM smartphones will be sold. This makes sense, specifically considering how emerging markets are now driving growth in the industry. Those also happen to be the very markets where such devices are flourishing, as consumers prefer the flexibility of combining two pre-paid plans in order to get maximum value out of their money.

But beyond mix-and-matching carrier plans, dual-SIM phones are also appealing to people who travel often (especially because of work) and folks who simply have a company and a personal number. The availability of a second slot can be quite the added benefit in those cases. That's all good in theory, but does the general PhoneArena readership agree? That's what we asked you yesterday.

As it turns out, the vast majority of participants in the poll — 76.66% or 1,116 votes — not only agree, but claim they'd even part with an extra $10 for the same model if available. The remaining 23.34% (355 votes) don't see it that way. A few of the reasons that were given in the comment section include poorer battery life, higher SAR values, and more limited custom development. Do you agree with these?

If available, would you have picked a version of your current smartphone with two SIM slots for $10 extra?

Yes
77.45%
No
22.55%

FEATURED VIDEO

5 Comments

1. TyrionLannister unregistered

I don't see the need of a second sim card. And the dual sim variants have to wait long for even official updates as no one cares about them, But that's just me, and most of the people see it the way I do.

2. Tanii

Posts: 132; Member since: Apr 30, 2015

I'd have preferred the single sim version even if they were of the same price.

3. mrptkln

Posts: 2; Member since: Jul 08, 2015

one sim for the extra wide coverage area but pricey operator, and the second one for the cheap gigabytes data-packet. 2 sims FTW

4. Tanii

Posts: 132; Member since: Apr 30, 2015

This is what I do while my 2nd number is totally private for data only, so that I don't get disturbed while surfing internet. While purchasing the handset I'd wished I could get single sim variant but it wasn't available so thought to keep 2nd number totally private.

5. frustyak

Posts: 248; Member since: Mar 08, 2010

Is this a relevant question? I mean, *IF* there was a dual-sim version that only cost $10 more, sure, why not? But does such a choice exist? My feeling is that if there really was a smartphone that was offered in both single- and dual-sim versions, the difference in price would be well more than $10. I think a more likely scenario would be $50-$100 difference, at which point you'd have much fewer people opting for the dual-sim version.

Latest Stories

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.