Apple's annual Design Awards at WWDC traditionally honor the most outstanding applications of the year and filtered through Apple's strict criteria these apps carry not only the looks, but also the functionality and all-around appeal of a must-have application. Cupertino judges apps using three main criteria: design, innovation and technical excellence.
As application revenue is booming to nearly $5.2 billion in 2010 expectations are even higher for future years – the CTIA projects some $15 billion revenue from apps in 2011 and $185 billion in 2015
. And this year's best applications at WWDC give a sneak peek at what amazing graphics and functionality we are to expect. Check out the iPhone and iPad application winners and feel free to share your personal picks
for best apps in the comments below.
- Winner: Djay for iPad | Company: algoriddim GmbH | $4.99
- Winner: Osmos for iPad | Company: Hemisphere Games | $.99
- Winner: Our Choice | Company: Push Pop Press / Al Gore | $4.99
- Student Winner: Pennant | Company: Vargatron / Stephen Varga | $4.99
- Student Winner: Pulse News Reader | Company: Alphonso Labs / Akshay Kothari | Free