Join the discussion: A Flip or a Fold? Which is the cooler foldable form-factor?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago

The Durability of these Devices is Amazing. I have dropped mine, on the Concrete, in Water. I used them outside during the Winter Months, on Rain Days. Then again I wasn’t trying to break mine either. The majority of the Videos and Claims of people breaking their Foldables, were Apple Users, who later became Foldable Users. You had a few who over used their, which honestly I don’t know how. If you was to get one, Treat it like a normal Phone or Tablet. Now if you know you’re the Type that always Breaking, Dropping and Losing your Phones, foldables not for you.

I Enjoyed Samsung Galaxy Folds, I have seen the other, they don’t have the same Support and Teams to back their Apps up and Software up like Samsung. Google is part of that Support and even they can’t Copy One Ui Software. They can, Samsung already did it though. You can say what you want about Samsung. My only beef with Samsung foldables, mainly the Fold. When the first Original Fold came out, you got a Case, Charger Cord with the Adapter Brick, Sim Ejector Key and a Pair of Galaxy Earbuds, a full Luxury experience. Now you just get the Device, a Charger Cord and the Sim Ejector Key, for almost the same Price.

I do feel that Samsung and a lot of the other Tech Companies, follow too closely to Apple Eco Friendly Trends. I feel Samsung needs to focus on making the Foldables better and more affordable for everyone. Not the Ones who Break their Devices easily and you know who you are. Yet if Samsung was to listen to their users and make the External Display a little Wider, which would also make the Internal Display Wider. That would make it feel more like a Phone for some when it’s Closed. It doesn’t bother me, it would be a New and Nicer look though. Maybe add a Built-In S Pen Slot for the Stylus. Bring back the Luxury experience, with a Case in the Box, Charger Cord and Adapter, maybe an Extra Stylus with Extra Tips, an pair of the New Galaxy Earbuds and the Sim Key would be Amazing.

If I had to choose though, I’ll go with the Fold, yet I’m waiting to see what Samsung can do with a Rollable. One similar to the One they advertised in their Unboxing back when they Announced they were word on Foldable, Flexible and Rollable Displays and Devices. This is the Future and so far with Samsung it look Bright.

• 1y ago
↵AleksandarAnastasov said:

If I had to choose using a foldable, I would choose the clamshell-type. But if I could manifest a perfect situation, I would choose a rollable that extends vertically.

In the theoretical scenario that a rollable was durable enough for real world usage, I'd actually pick a rollable that extends horizontally and just slightly, like a S23U that gets wider when watching videos to eliminate the black bars without cutting content on the top or bottom. Then it retracts to current size to put it in my pocket or for one hand usage.

• 1y ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

Motorola released the OG Razr before Samsung released the Z Flip. THE Huawei Mate X was released shortly after the Z Fold (less than 2 months). Never were they the only ones making folding phones. They do sell the most, but they're not alone and the competition is hot on its heels in both form factors.

I know what you’re talking about, Samsung were the First to introduce the idea of a Foldable, Flexible and Rollable Devices, long before they created their first Fold. Samsung idea for the Foldables started when they introduced the Galaxy S Line. They said that, when they launched the Note 4 Edge and Introduced their first 3 Concepts. They said that the Galaxy S Line is the Basic for the Software and Hardware the they will be using to Launch their Foldable. And they did just that, they also stated, yet people either didn’t hear or it when over their Head that. Their Foldables will be the End of the Galaxy S and Note Line. Which is why it was crazy to me People were so upset cause the Note Line was discontinued.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵vwite2 said:

triple hinge or dual hinge with triple display sections?

Two hinges and three displays—basically, a fold with one additional section.

Stanislav Serbezov
Stanislav Serbezov
Phonearena team
• 1y ago

As someone that prefers compact phones as their daily driver, my vote goes for the flip. ?? Plus, I love that there is a tiny screen on the outside. ?

• 1y ago

Fold 4 has surpassed all my expectations. After 8 weeks I can say it's best

• 1y ago

For now, I'm very much satisfied with Find N2. I will surely go with Fold only If they come under 10mm(folded).

• 1y ago

Out of the two main types of foldables that are currently on the market. I love Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold models, because they are a 2 in 1 foldable, that is both a smartphone and a tablet. You have to love that type of foldable, because you are getting 2 devices in 1 physical device. The flip type is cool in the sense of being more compact, but it's still just a smartphone, and you are only getting one device.

If Google does join the foldable club, then Google should create both the flip type, and the larger foldable tablet type. The more Android OEMs that create foldables, then the more mainstream foldables will become.

In all honesty I hope both types will really take off in the Android camp, much more than what we have currently seen in the past.

• 1y ago

Fold. I love my Surface Duo 2. I appreciate the two separate screen concept hasn't been widely adapted, and any future Duo will likely follow the single folding screen idea, but for productivity there's nothing better than two screens.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless