Join the discussion: A Flip or a Fold? Which is the cooler foldable form-factor?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago
↵isaiah12345 said:

I personally prefer a compact fold like the Oppo Find N and Find N2. Compact when I need it and a large screen when I want.

Agree. I have been using this phone for a few weeks now and have been incredibly impressed. Selling my fold 4 and keeping both my x fold and find N.

• 1y ago

Flip for me but Samsung needs to get back to innovate and come with a slide out cell phone.

• 1y ago
↵Brewski said:

Oh, please allow me to google that for you kind sir.

"The Find N2 Flip's 6.8-inch display is long and narrow, with a cinematic 21:9 aspect ratio, like the long screen on the Xperia 1 IV."

This is of course the exterior screen. But the interior screen is meant to mimic a tablet, which are usually closer to 4:3.

You literally just proved my point. Please tell me what is the benefit of a 4:3 screen on a cell phone when every conceivable cell phone use case is tuned for a wide screen these days? I was shocked when I tried browsing a website feed on the interior screen on Galaxy Fold and it showed less content compared to the exterior one.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵jonbed said:

Tri-Fold....use case / screen size / spen...pure functionality...why limit yourself....

That's an interesting thought. I think I saw a couple of tri-fold patents some time ago...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

I have to agree. The Fold (to me) is impractical due to the ridiculously narrow external display. I’ve owned or currently own the Z Flip 4, Razr 5G and both Surface Duos. For side by side multitasking you simply can’t touch the Duo. Checkmate. But it’s impossibly uncomfortable as a phone. The Razr 5G (to me) is better than the Z Flips because of the external display but falls short with the narrow main display. Surprisingly, there is a GCam port for the Razr that makes its camera better than most flagships and wipes the floor with my iPhone 13 PM with Night View. Queen to Queen’s level three (Star Trek chess).

Good stuff! I still own a pink Motorola RAZR (2005) in perfect working condition (the battery is toast though), so I get it! When the reboot happened, I was really excited, but the RAZR 5G is too wide for me. The GCam stuff is something I'm curious to try, thanks for the heads up.

• 1y ago
↵IgorEfremenko said:

You literally just proved my point. Please tell me what is the benefit of a 4:3 screen on a cell phone when every conceivable cell phone use case is tuned for a wide screen these days? I was shocked when I tried browsing a website feed on the interior screen on Galaxy Fold and it showed less content compared to the exterior one.

Maybe. But I think you missed my point entirely. Regardless of what aspect ratio you desire to have, tablets aren't in 21:9. So I sounds to me like you just don't like tablets.

• 1y agoedited
↵Brewski said:

Maybe. But I think you missed my point entirely. Regardless of what aspect ratio you desire to have, tablets aren't in 21:9. So I sounds to me like you just don't like tablets.

Whilst I would agree with you that I don't think there is a sweet spot for tablets nowadays, I still own an iPad Pro from the previous years and I also bought my father a Galaxy S Tab (which he very much enjoys). And I have to tell you that even though unlike my father's 16:10 Sammy, the iPad comes with a square-ish aspect ratio, it is a completely different story compared to a foldable. Simply because the screen is so big you can actually see a lot of stuff on it despite youtube videos being displayed in a black box for example.

• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

That's an interesting thought. I think I saw a couple of tri-fold patents some time ago...

triple hinge or dual hinge with triple display sections?

• 1y agoedited
↵remixfa said:

both. if you are a heavy media consumer, the fold is better. If you are someone who wears skinny jeans or hates bulk, the flip is better.

lmaooo ?

• 1y ago

Which Form Factor the best, both are great. It depends on what you do and what Best for you. I use the Fold Models and I Love them. The fact that I have a Phone that can Open up into a Tablet is Amazing. Having 3-4 Apps Open at once is great and all. I usually only use One or Two. Mainly to Watch Content and Mobile Game, when the Device is Open. Say what you want, but when it Closed that’s when it better to use the Folds for Social Media, if you like. Like Instagram, facebook, etc and you can always which to the Internal Screen if you want. I used mine like a Phone when it was Closed and a Tablet when it was Open.

The Flip on the other hands, I never own a One. Everyone who I seen with One enjoyed them. Mainly cause of the Portability. There was a few who wanted the Fold, yet went with the Flip, cause it was Cheaper also. They all agreed that if the Folds were cheaper that that would’ve been their first choice. The Flip in my opinion is great for anyone trying to Test their Luck with a Foldable. Cause I know most people don’t feel like they’re Safe and that easy to break. They’re not though, I used my Fold the same way I used any of my other Cellphones.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless