Join the discussion: A Flip or a Fold? Which is the cooler foldable form-factor?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago

I'll kick this off with the heresy that the Flip design is cooler and much more convenient! Chess with the pawn—your move!

• 1y agoedited

I'm partial to the old clamshell-type flip phones. Given a chance I'll go on and on about my Sanyo SCP-5300 and SCP-5500 (VM-4500 at Sprint). I still have my original SCP-5500 although it is in storage after a move ten months ago. I recently bought two pristine, unused, 'unopened' examples of this phone on eBay and now I own a little piece of cellular phone history. The novelty of the SCP-5500 is that is my first phone with video recording capability. I could send 15-second video clips to my girlfriend who had a 5500.

Aleksandar Anastasov
Aleksandar Anastasov
Phonearena team
• 1y agoedited

If I had to choose using a foldable, I would choose the clamshell-type. But if I could manifest a perfect situation, I would choose a rollable that extends vertically.

• 1y ago

Both are actually cool designs. For those who like the compact design of the Flip, aka a 2020's version of a flip phone, that design is cool to them.

For those who want a display larger than a slab phone but not quite as big as a tablet, the Fold design is cool to them.

• 1y ago

In my mind, fold doesn't exist. Flip only.

• 1y ago

I will say fold always like Huawei x3 but they need to cut price. I would pay 1000 € but this is overpriced I won't pay 1500 + €

• 1y ago

I don’t like the Flip as it’s too narrow when open, while I don’t need it to be too small when closed. Do not like the Fold as I’m used to a 4 x 3 form factor in a tablet, while is too thick in closed position. In addition, a protective case can’t seem too practical for either.

If I had to pick Samsung, would be the standard S23 (“had to”, but never will again after they sealed the battery post-Galaxy S5).

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵tokuzumi said:

In my mind, fold doesn't exist. Flip only.

That's cool, and yet - everyone seems to be making folds...

• 1y ago

I got the Fold 4 after drooling over the first three.

Definitely Fold!

• 1y ago

To me flip form sounds better and more practible

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless