Join the discussion: A Flip or a Fold? Which is the cooler foldable form-factor?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago
said:

Funny you should mention that; we saw a vertical rollable concept at this year's MWC, and it was great. Whether or not it will make it to mass production is a completely different matter...

This comment was deleted by the user.
• 1y ago
↵Brewski said:

Please see literally any manufacturer other than Samsung. (Oppo has screens that are not square, and others do as well.) This isn't 2019 anymore, folding phones have come a long way recently.

Is Oppo 21:9 or at least 16:9?

• 1y ago

I personally prefer a compact fold like the Oppo Find N and Find N2. Compact when I need it and a large screen when I want.

• 1y agoedited

Doesn't much matter which I think is "cooler." For a lefty like me a flip phone (like a vertical flip case) is simply going to be much more usable than a fold model.

• 1y ago

It depends on the purpose. If it is for regular use, than Flip. For "power users" there is Fold. Simple as that.

• 1y ago
↵Brewski said:

2 years ago when Samsung was the only one making folding phones, I would have said Flip is better. But that's just because Samsung's fold design is horrible, so anything would be better than that. But now that Oppo has released 2 iterations, their fold is definitely the way to go. Now it seems that picking a good manufacturer is more important than form-factor.

Motorola released the OG Razr before Samsung released the Z Flip. THE Huawei Mate X was released shortly after the Z Fold (less than 2 months). Never were they the only ones making folding phones. They do sell the most, but they're not alone and the competition is hot on its heels in both form factors.

• 1y ago
↵IgorEfremenko said:

Is Oppo 21:9 or at least 16:9?

Oh, please allow me to google that for you kind sir.

"The Find N2 Flip's 6.8-inch display is long and narrow, with a cinematic 21:9 aspect ratio, like the long screen on the Xperia 1 IV."

This is of course the exterior screen. But the interior screen is meant to mimic a tablet, which are usually closer to 4:3.

• 1y ago

Tri-Fold....use case / screen size / spen...pure functionality...why limit yourself....

• 1y ago

Fold, provided they can eventually eliminate the crease. Love the idea of that big screen, but with a smaller outer screen for simple tasks.

• 1y ago
↵ProfessorJER said:

Fold, provided they can eventually eliminate the crease. Love the idea of that big screen, but with a smaller outer screen for simple tasks.

Luckily oppo and Huawei solved the crease issue.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless