Join the discussion: A Flip or a Fold? Which is the cooler foldable form-factor?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago

I personally would never buy any current flippable or foldable phone on the market.

Flips don't make sense to me because I typically put my phone into the pocket and I would always choose a slimmer phone even if it is taller.

As for foldables, the idea is good in general but in reality square screens are not usable. You either multitask with 2 apps (why would I need it on the phone?) or see even LESS info compared to the regular 21:9 aspect ratio phones.

So, waiting for a good 21:9 ROLLABLE phone.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵IgorEfremenko said:

I personally would never buy any current flippable or foldable phone on the market.

Flips don't make sense to me because I typically put my phone into the pocket and I would always choose a slimmer phone even if it is taller.

As for foldables, the idea is good in general but in reality square screens are not usable. You either multitask with 2 apps (why would I need it on the phone?) or see even LESS info compared to the regular 21:9 aspect ratio phones.

Funny you should mention that; we saw a vertical rollable concept at this year's MWC, and it was great. Whether or not it will make it to mass production is a completely different matter...

• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I'll kick this off with the heresy that the Flip design is cooler and much more convenient! Chess with the pawn—your move!

I have to agree. The Fold (to me) is impractical due to the ridiculously narrow external display. I’ve owned or currently own the Z Flip 4, Razr 5G and both Surface Duos. For side by side multitasking you simply can’t touch the Duo. Checkmate. But it’s impossibly uncomfortable as a phone. The Razr 5G (to me) is better than the Z Flips because of the external display but falls short with the narrow main display. Surprisingly, there is a GCam port for the Razr that makes its camera better than most flagships and wipes the floor with my iPhone 13 PM with Night View. Queen to Queen’s level three (Star Trek chess).

• 1y ago

Either one is great in each own way because it serves different target groups. Flip is for regulars consumers that want cool and different form factor while Fold is the productivity powerhouse. Some changes to make either one slimmer and lighter are certainly welcome and we are seeing examples of that from Sammy competitors already. Remember when Samsung introduced large screens as possible replacement of two devices? Every manufacturer, including "the most evil one that should not be named" ?, jumped on that. Now it is a slightly different trend and, frankly speaking I no longer need to take my tablet with me on the trips, because Fold 4 is more than sufficient. Now, having a rollable phone would be even better, in my opinion, and new concepts clearly show great possibilities of doing it. With this said, however, let's not forget that we still want IPX8 and more with any new design which are not an easy task to achieve.

• 1y ago

2 years ago when Samsung was the only one making folding phones, I would have said Flip is better. But that's just because Samsung's fold design is horrible, so anything would be better than that. But now that Oppo has released 2 iterations, their fold is definitely the way to go. Now it seems that picking a good manufacturer is more important than form-factor.

• 1y ago

Neither one, prefer a bar type phone.

• 1y ago
↵IgorEfremenko said:

Please see literally any manufacturer other than Samsung. (Oppo has screens that are not square, and others do as well.) This isn't 2019 anymore, folding phones have come a long way recently.

• 1y ago

Thank God companies don’t listen to people in the comment section or we wouldn’t see any form of tech advancement. Both are great tech. We need more tech even if experimental.

• 1y ago

both. if you are a heavy media consumer, the fold is better. If you are someone who wears skinny jeans or hates bulk, the flip is better.

• 1y ago

Flip for me, but only when it doesn't compromise on battery and cameras.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless