x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

iPhone 6 Plus catches fire in man's bed

iPhone 6 Plus catches fire in man's bed

We live in the age of daily smartphone charges – whether we have a tiny iPhone 4s or a gargantuan Galaxy Note 5, we are very likely to plug in our handsets in the power outlet in the evening, so it would have the juice to keep its lights on throughout the next day. And, being the powerful media devices and smart alarm clocks that they are, we are very probable to have our smartphones positioned close to, or even in our beds as we sleep.

A man from Atlanta — one David Grimsley — was doing just that. He had his iPhone 6 Plus plugged in the outlet and lying on the bed next to him, when the phone unexpectedly caught on fire, Fox 5 News reports. Suddenly, the man accounts, sparks and flames busted out of the device, prompting him to quickly push the handset off the bed, then off the carpet, until it was lying on the hard floor.

Mr. Grimsley reported the accident to Apple and was quickly sent a brand-new iPhone 6 Plus to replace the overcooked unit, but this doesn't really put the user’s mind at ease. He was disappointed in the fact that Apple showed no concern whether he had been injured in the accident or not, and said that he feels paranoid over recharging his phone now. And, for those who are concerned, Mr. Grimsley did burn his fingers during the ordeal, but has now recovered.

This is not the first account of a spontaneously-combusting smartphone and the issue is brand-agnostic – it has happened to many different classes of devices, made from various manufacturers. However, this is the second report of an iPhone 6 Plus catching fire this month alone – last time, we heard of a man who was forced to take his burning pants off in the middle of a parking lot. Interestingly enough, that also happened in Atlanta.

The two main culprits that cause a malfunctioning cellphone battery are physical damage or use of a low quality, unauthorized charger. Of course, there’s always the possibility of having a lemon battery, which still explodes despite the fact that the user has been treating it right. So please, be mindful of how you maintain and where you leave your favorite gadgets!


source: Fox 5 News via Ubergizmo

72 Comments
  • Options
    Close






posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:19 6

1. villagerguyz (Posts: 93; Member since: 22 Jul 2015)


Bashers coming in 3....2...1....

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:21 11

2. sgodsell (Posts: 3898; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)


He was looking at too much porn. I guess his iPhone couldn't handle it. ;-)

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 08:12

21. neela_akaash (Posts: 1216; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)


Statutory warning:- don't do sex while an iPhone is lying on the bed...

posted on 31 Dec 2015, 14:28

67. ghaniosman (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)


awww...is that what happened to u too ?? ;-p

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 12:50

45. engineer-1701d (unregistered)


wheres samsung they usually jump on this fox news and a barber spreading the word about iphone going up in flames, they should have sent him a galaxy s6 edge plus with wireless charger with later saying must be activated under his name and poof you got a new user with wireless charger pad at work in front of everyone and be able to show it off. lost opportunity sammy

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 20:20 2

60. Acer_Predator (unregistered)


that crap company deserves it!

posted on 01 Jan 2016, 18:51

68. jphillips63 (Posts: 223; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)


Acer_Predator you're an idiot. Why would anyone think that the mans house could had burned down and or his family could have lost their lives f this had happened. Maybe one day your phone catches fire and kills your entire family including you.

posted on 02 Jan 2016, 08:08 1

70. catze86 (Posts: 726; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)


It is only happened if he has an iPhone

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:23 8

3. Raito (Posts: 58; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)


#grabpopcorn

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 13:10 2

47. Finalflash (Posts: 3221; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)


Grab an iPhone 6 plus to pop them.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:25 5

4. scarface21173 (Posts: 179; Member since: 17 Aug 2014)


To hot to handle lol

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:35 6

7. johanbiff (Posts: 405; Member since: 31 Mar 2015)


apple don`t use SD810.... or do they?! ...hmmm :)

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 15:43

51. javy108 (Posts: 1004; Member since: 27 Jul 2014)


Were so lucky they dont, If they ever use the SD810, they will sell potencial weapons instead of phones.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:30 12

5. johanbiff (Posts: 405; Member since: 31 Mar 2015)


Apple: you put the charge cable in wrong
consumer: it`s duble-sided...
Apple: your using it wrong

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 10:55 3

40. catze86 (Posts: 726; Member since: 07 Dec 2015)


iPhone is not ready for VR. It will burn your head....hehehehehe

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:31 1

6. legiloca (Posts: 1410; Member since: 11 Nov 2014)


Taco Bell

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:55 17

9. Talhamid (Posts: 37; Member since: 13 Jun 2009)


Android explodes: Android sucks! Fragmentation!!! Insecure!! Low quality!!! The OS causes overheating!! wake up Google you are causing mass genocide!

Apple explodes: Bad charger!! Bad position!! Bad man!! Bad connection!! Bad cable!! Faulty electric work!!

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 07:16 3

13. maherk (Posts: 4042; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)


But it is most likely because of a knock off charger.
My cousin's iPhone 6+ caught fire like 2 months ago because she was stupid enough to plug it into a chinese "Apple" battery pack, she paid $50 for it thinking that she is buying an authentic Apple battery pack. The moment she got home, plugged it, and poof, the phone made that magical spark and then died for good.
Even when Apple had nothing to do with this, after going back and forth with them, they ended up sending her a brand new device.
And that's what separates Apple from the rest.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 07:32 8

16. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 3035; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)


Sorry but other manufacturers replace the burnout device as well. There are many stories where a Samsung has exploded/ caught fire it has been replaced for free. Also did your sister have Applecare?

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 08:26 1

22. maherk (Posts: 4042; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)


Not in Lebanon. Samsung and LG are know for their subpar customer service. And there is no slight chance for them to replace it if it has been caused my a 3rd party charger.
She is my cousin btw, and yes she did.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 08:33 4

24. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 3035; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)


AppleCare is always better (and more expensive) than standard warranty. But when I look in my country, Apple isn't that much better with warranty support compared to other manufactures/shops.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 08:07

19. Nopers (Posts: 279; Member since: 01 Jun 2015)


A while ago my sister used a fake Amazon charger and the phone got very hot and the wire burned her arm, luckily she woke up in time to turn it off.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 09:26 2

27. hwb01 (Posts: 328; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)


I saw this story on my local news, it was an official Apple charger. They showed a picture of it.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 10:49 1

39. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 10681; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)


Dude, the guy wasnt using a knock off charger. Why are you even bringing it up?

Your example doesn't apply. I recall 5 phones catching on fire in 2015 from Apple and only one wasnt using the Apple charger. ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wake up man! As PA states an I agree, such things are platform/brand agnostic.

What they are trying to hide though is the fact that all the phone fires for 2015 at the least were ALL IPHONES...EVERY LAST FIRE PHONE WAS AN IPHONE RELATED INCIDENT.

if you Google Samsung phone catches first, you see 2 stories both involving a galaxy S4. One of the stories was from 2014 and one for 2015, both involving an old phone

Samsung also gave the man a "NEWER" model of the phone, not the same old one like Apple's cheap ass.

$200Billion dollars. This guys livelihood could ave been lost.

Notice...NO APOLOGY FROM APPLE, NO ARE YOU HURT, NO IS ANYTHING DAME. It's more like HERE BOY TAKE THIS NEW PHONE AND STFU. That si basically what they did. I woudl take the phone and tell Apple to shove it up your butt and buy something else.

Any phone can catch on fire. It is an unfortunate occurrence that is rare of ALL BRAND including Apple.

But when it comes to products that catch on fire, Apple leads with both the Mac and iPhone over any other OEM. That is fact that is easily proved.

if you google "laptops catches fire" you will see the very first mentions was Apple and Dell.

If you Google "Smartphone catches fire" - It's Apple first and then Samsung. Samsung tho was an older phone the S4...while for Apple, the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5s and 6 have all caught fire.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 12:52

46. engineer-1701d (unregistered)


not really think about the 100 million phones out there using knock off chargers and only a few go bang its just a bad battery

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 06:56 9

10. Podrick (Posts: 816; Member since: 19 Aug 2015)


You're burning it wrong.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 07:01 3

11. Podrick (Posts: 816; Member since: 19 Aug 2015)


Quality they say.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 07:15 6

12. Plasticsh1t (Posts: 765; Member since: 01 Sep 2014)


No it's not burned it's a feature that you can make yourself an apple pie but the user is too dumb to know that.

posted on 30 Dec 2015, 09:54 4

30. Hexa-core (banned) (Posts: 2131; Member since: 11 Aug 2015)


Me: #burngate
Apple: No, you're charging it wrong!

posted on 31 Dec 2015, 02:22

63. submar (Posts: 479; Member since: 19 Sep 2014)


#chargegate

* Some comments have been hidden, because they don't meet the discussions rules.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories