Yahoo rumored to be buying Tumblr for $1 billion
Tumblr has raised $125 million at a valuation of $800 million, so a $1 billion price tag would certainly be in the ballpark, especially since the microblogging site starting adding mobile ads to its mobile app in March. Over the past 6 months, the number of those using Tumblr's mobile app has quadrupled. Tumblr's growth is right now off the charts. The company had $13 million in revenue last year and is expecting as much as $100 million this year.
Yahoo has been shutting down many of its mobile apps and one estimate is that 80% of the company's apps could be gone by the end of the year. But a purchase of Tumblr would add a mobile app that could revitalize Yahoo in the mobile space, where it has yet to make a name for itself.
1. Meleagru (Posts: 81; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
I can't believe Yahoo even has one billion dollars
8. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Either way, they're gonna screw up Tumblr.
4. speckledapple (Posts: 874; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Wow I must say that i am surprised as I did not know that Yahoo was still in the acquiring business. There were rumors of Microsoft buying them not too long ago now they are in the market of buying one of the most popular newer web companies out there. Very interesting.
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yahoo a chocolate milk drink. YAHOO Nothing but to do it
6. decent4u (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
i think they have a extra billion dollars lying around, first they made an offer to zuckerberg (1 billion dollars for Facebook) and now to this ;)
7. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
My guess is Marrisa Myers, the celebrity CEO will destroy Yahoo.
9. downphoenix (Posts: 1996; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Given Yahoo's history on having the chance to buy companies like Facebook and Google... it may be in their best interest to pursue this at all costs.
10. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
That's a small chunk of change. How does yahoo even have 1 billion dollars?