What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?
- What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?
123 votes (123 votes) Less than 3.5 inches – The smaller, the better. Navigation is easy and the smartphone fits nicely in the smallest of pockets.
1253 votes (1253 votes) Between 3.5 inches and 3.99 inches – Small enough to use with ease, yet big enough to read fine text.
1612 votes (1612 votes) Between 4.0 inches and 4.29 inches – The extra real estate proves useful when viewing photos and videos.
988 votes (988 votes) 4.3 inches and above – No display is too big for my hands.
1. Jaowwooa (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 08:09 0 1
I bet everyone will vote for the display size their current phone has :P
7. aries.phills posted on 27 May 2011, 08:28 3 0
You're wrong bro, my both phones have 2.4'' screen size and 3.5'' screen size respectively, yet I voted for '4.3'' and above' cause I like it bigger.
All about choice bro!!
10. aries.phills posted on 27 May 2011, 08:36 1 1
I voted for ''4.2'' and above''.
Though I think 4.3'' is the perfect size for me.
62. BOB (unregistered) posted on 30 May 2011, 09:17 0 0
Thats what she said!
12. andrews (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 08:56 2 0
not so sure about that. people like me may have one size on their phone but wants a bigger/smaller one. in my case i have a 3.2" display but i definitely want to get a 4.0-4.2 display.
20. xenover posted on 27 May 2011, 09:31 0 0
I didn't. I have a 2.9" phone currently, but I am aiming for a bigger one, preferrably over 4" :P
41. WakaFlakaD posted on 27 May 2011, 14:03 0 0
Until battery pack gets even larger, 3.5-3.99 seems like the perfect solution for me. Otherwise, bigger the better
2. bossmt_2 posted on 27 May 2011, 08:10 4 0
One small thing, I do think it should be between 4-4.3 instead of 4.2 (who make sa 4.1 or 4;2 inch touch screen?)
28. sniperace posted on 27 May 2011, 10:50 0 0
Sony arc 4.2 but your right it should have been 4-4.3
4. ronalgps (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 08:19 6 0
4.3 super amoled plus
29. sniperace posted on 27 May 2011, 10:53 0 0
Galaxy SII..I'll have what he"s having..4.3 inches of pure perfection!
6. cybervlad81 posted on 27 May 2011, 08:26 3 0
4.3 - lg revolution, moto x2, sam charge. I like the size of the 4.3's.... maybe even a little bigger..... but I don't want to be holding a Galaxy Tab or iPad up to my head..."Can you hear me now?"
8. Rich (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 08:32 3 0
4.3! and im sure all those smaller iphone voting people vote smaller bc they dont have bigger... just wait till the new iphone comes out with a larger screen. this poll will look drastically different.
16. Hallucinator posted on 27 May 2011, 09:20 3 1
I have an iphone and i voted between 4.0-4.29. I am not devoted to any one phone. I like all the different OS. I switch phones every 3-4 months. Why? because I can and it makes me happy
25. snowgator posted on 27 May 2011, 10:06 0 0
.... and we like to keep our hallucinations happy, so change away. :-D
31. deep pockets (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 11:01 0 0
11. SE freak (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 08:44 0 0
4.2 inch 16:9 screen in 117grams light phone (SE Arc) :))
13. darkninja posted on 27 May 2011, 09:02 1 0
I want the option for just 4.3" Anything bigger than that to me is pushing it, and would not be comfortable to carry around all day.
14. WirelessCon posted on 27 May 2011, 09:16 2 0
When edge to edge screens start popping up, 4-4.3" will be perfect for most people. Now we need to get them 1920x1080.
30. sctwinslow posted on 27 May 2011, 11:00 1 0
I agree its not always about the size of the screen, it depends on size of bezel also
15. PimpStrong (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 09:19 3 0
4.5" is perfect for me because my phone is more for entertainment than for actual talking. It's a mini tablet size with phone capabilities.
Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!
17. xenover posted on 27 May 2011, 09:24 0 0
4" would be the best for me as I have quite medium sized hands :)
18. Knicknevin posted on 27 May 2011, 09:25 3 0
It's not the Size that counts, it's what you can do with it!!
j/k. Bigger is always better! 4.5!
19. More Power (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 09:27 0 0
I have large hand and have a 3.7" screen now. I think that 4.2' would be the sweet spot. Large enough to display all the goodies and web content, yet small enough to hold comfortably for extended amount of time while still fitting in a back pocket. IMO
21. ahubb (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 09:38 0 0
4inches is probably the perfect size. 95% of the phones with 4.3in. screens all seem too bulky or too long. Granted, some are thin but length and width wise they aren't as pocket friendly as say a phone with a 3.5, 3.7 or 4in screen is. The only phone I've seen with a 4.3in screen that doesnt look unattractively long or wide is the HTC Thunderbolt. But it is still kind of thick depth wise. So across the board for men and women 4in. is the perfect screen size for a smartphone.
22. mjh (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 09:40 0 0
I like my phone to fit in my pocket. If I need a large screen I have a tablet or laptop. These phone are too big these days. 3.5 is perfect.
23. snowgator posted on 27 May 2011, 10:04 0 0
I kinda think it depends on the form factor. If it is a touch screen only, I think it needs to be 4.0 - 4.3 screen. Any bigger becomes really unmanageable over time. But any smaller, and the keyboard/text display becomes cramped. 3.7 is the smallest you can do there. Landscape sliders seem perfect at 3.7 - 4.0. Keeps the weight and thickness comfortable. Portrait sliders look good up to 3.7, any bigger and you get top heavy and lose the comfort of the body style. Any smaller then 3.2 and they physical keyboard gets cramped. The candy-bar style that Blackberry made popular tends to range up to 3.0", which is fine.
I kinda like the 4.0" range.
24. Hasan Asad (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 10:06 0 0
I vote for 4.5 " although I have ordered Samsung Galaxy S II 4.3". I like it bigger screen 4.5" is max.
26. CPS (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 10:27 0 0
It would be interesting to note what size phone people vote for AND what gender they are.
I like the larger phones (hubby has the HTC Evo), but as a woman who carries her phone in her hand or pocket, anything over 4" is too big.
38. URC (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 12:55 1 0
That's what she said!
27. remixfa posted on 27 May 2011, 10:43 2 0
if there was a category for just 4+ inches i would have hit that.. love big screens. i dont know that ill ever go below 4 inches again.
32. Jk (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 11:03 1 0
4.0 - 4.3 is the perfect size.
37. URC (unregistered) posted on 27 May 2011, 12:52 1 0
It's not screen size...it's phone size. There's a ridiculous amount of wasted space above and below screens on phones. Take my Captivate for example. There's about about a half an inch of empty space between the top of the screen and the speaker, and about a third of an inch of space between the bottom of the screen and the capacitive buttons. As far as I can tell it's just space that is designed to plug AT&T and Samsung. Get rid of that wasted space and suddenly you have a 4" screen on something the size of the iPhone. Or extend it to 4.3" and you will have a bigger screen on a phone the same size as the Captivate. Once that happens, this entire poll will shift. Those voting for 4" screens will then vote for 4.3", etc.
43. remixfa posted on 27 May 2011, 17:45 0 0
I agree. Good thing is that as screen tech evolves the bezels get shorter n shorter. The galaxy2 is not really any bigger than the galaxy1 but the screen is. The Sensation (i just got the dummys in the store for hands on) is smaller than the evo or hd2/7 in hand even though its the same screen size. The galaxy3 and iphone5 are supposed to have edge to edge screens.
I think as the edge disappears 4.5-5 inches will be my sweet spot as they wont be much bigger than the current generation's 4.0-4.3 inch phones.
40. Scourge posted on 27 May 2011, 13:25 0 0
Come on now, lets just invent expandable screen sizes on every smartphone! Then everyone will be happy...
42. kujee posted on 27 May 2011, 14:33 0 0
how about a display that could be expanded , fold and rolled in o rout of the phone so you can adjust it to be perfectly matching the mood you are using it for like when navigating you can use 4" display and when calling or texting you can only use 2' or 3"
45. mohammadchik posted on 28 May 2011, 00:26 0 0
Between 4" - 4.3" is the perfect size. But i do prefer 4.3".
46. Alex-af (unregistered) posted on 28 May 2011, 02:18 0 0
What many don't realize is that screen size does not equal to phone size.
I don't understand why poeple always complain about 4.3 inch screens saying that 4.0 is perfect. I remember reading thunderbolt pre-release discussions and half the people complained saying that it should be a 4 incher.
Get this. I have the thunderbolt. My significant other has 4.0 inch fascinate.
When you place them on top of each other they are EXACTLY the same size. Fascinate is thinner, that's all.
TB has less bezel surrounding the screen.
That being said, I think thunderbolt/fascinate is about the perfect phone size. If manufacturers can pack a 4.5 inch screen on the phone the size of TB, IMO that would be perfect.
51. AnnDroid (unregistered) posted on 28 May 2011, 11:23 0 0
I currently have the EVO. I love the size and I'm a 5'1" petite female. I would like to try a larger phone next time.
We women aren't stifled by the size of our pants pocket. I say, bring on the larger phones. The difference in a 3.x and a 4.x is amazing when browsing. I bet a 5.x would be incredible!
52. TheBrizz posted on 28 May 2011, 16:07 0 0
I think the 4.3" on my HTC Inspire is perfect. Any bigger and you're almost getting into tablet territory. Jonathan Geller of BGR tweeted last month that manufacturers should stop making 4.3" screens; that 4" should be the max for smartphones; I tweeted back that he should speak for himself!
53. iPhoneOwner (unregistered) posted on 28 May 2011, 22:42 0 0
Eventually the current size iPhone will have a 4" or 4.5" screen without being any bigger. They will replace the wide frame with a larger and larger display.
55. Rocket75 (unregistered) posted on 29 May 2011, 02:52 0 0
I guess some people that think under 4" acceptable, but the 4.5" Infuse has shown me that still is not too large. I guess some guys don't mind holding a smaller package lol, or don't want to admit that something might be better than the iphone!
61. seeds posted on 30 May 2011, 07:02 0 0
3.7-4.0" is better for me (based on my experoience)
but if in future baterry performance can handle 4.3" for 1day hevy usage or 2.5days for moderate, i will back to awesome 4.3" :D