Video: new Sony Xperia Z2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 concepts will leave you wanting for more
We’ve already seen concept designs showing the Galaxy S5 and the Xperia Z2, but there are new ones out there that are definitely worth a look.
First, let’s see the latest Samsung Galaxy S5 concept, made by T3 (in 3D, no less). In T3’s vision, the S5 won’t be a radical departure from the Galaxy S4. However, they’re expecting it to have an aluminum body, and very thin bezels around the (rumored) 5-inch Quad HD display. They’ve put Samsung’s new Magazine UX (officially revealed on the Galaxy TabPRO and Galaxy NotePRO) on the S5 - and that does look good. Check it out in the video embedded below.
As for the new Sony Xperia Z2 concept, this was made by Jermaine Smit. He's hoping the smartphone will have a 5.2-inch display, a "wrap-around-screen message indicator", 3GB of RAM, a 23MP rear camera, a 2.5MP front-facing camera, and an ultra-thin body. You can see the Z2 concept in the video and photos below.
Sony Xperia Z2 concept by Jermaine Smit
We’re not sure which of the upcoming smartphones will be announced first. But we’ll certainly let you know when we find out. Anyway, assuming that both handsets will be similar to these new concepts, which one would you rather get?
sources: T3, Jermaine Smit
4. akki20892 (Posts: 3306; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Concepts always looks gorgeous, but in real life phone not gonna be like concepts.
58. Be_Mine (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Yea...If only the real model looks at least half as good as the concept ones...!
66. gamblor77 (Posts: 71; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Still annoys me how random people from the Internet are able to create 10x nicer designs than the real phone design teams. Teams who are supposedly experts in their field and are getting paid extremely well to create the next generation flagship phones. I wish Samsung and others would grow some balls and stop with all the worry about "design language" changes and just make a damn phone that everyone wants. It shouldn't be too hard. T3 nailed it and they didn't need years of debate and definitely did NOT have the countless budget that Samsung has.
67. Psykotik_Dragon (Posts: 22; Member since: 21 Dec 2013)
they also didn't need any physical constraints to HAVE all those goodies in them & keep it in a decent price range...
2. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1216; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Can't wait to see what both of them will bring! Will be interesting.
3. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Whoa that S5 render looks hot!
Especially that huge camera glass.
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2507; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Both look gorgeous! Can't wait for the KitKat from Sony and Samsung!
6. pwnarena (Posts: 843; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
the samsung render looks fugly. the s4 looks better than that. the xperia z2 render is impossible. those bezels? no way says sony.
7. teja171 (unregistered)
Xperia Z2 looks sleek.
8. jibraihimi (Posts: 676; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Z2 concept looks really very cool.... hope Sony make it reality
16. Feanor (Posts: 295; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
From what we have already seen, the real thing will be really close to this. Actually the upper bezel will be slimmer in reality. Only the thickness cannot be so slim, because of the big lens.
18. Feanor (Posts: 295; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Me too... but hmm... do all premium handsets need diamond cuts to look premium? It's a bit iPhone 5/5s copy. I must admit, with the diamond cut Apple found out again something really unique to make their handsets look expensive, but that means that as soon as others try to implement it, they look like they copy Apple (HTC, I'm looking at you).
10. nctx77 (Posts: 456; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
LOL! At the beveled edges. It's basically an s4 with iPhone materials lol! Sammy still eating that Apple sauce.
27. wildfiregt (Posts: 89; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
iPhone materials ? did Apple create metal and Aluminum?
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hopefully the s5 DOES NOT look like that. Ewww!!! Couldn't care less about sony though.
13. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2507; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
And why is that you couldn't care less about Sony?
17. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2507; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
You're right. But that suggests that you don't have any reason to not to care about Sony. So in other words it suggests that you're a blind hater of Sony.
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
See post #14, you'll say see post #17, so after that...see post #14 then go away.
22. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I value his opinion even less now.
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Thank you, cuz I definitely have no value for yours. It's a beautiful thing, when you truly DGAF what people think. Keeps the stress, and blood pressure low.
28. Feanor (Posts: 295; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I think living in the US and not caring about Sony Mobile makes sense; their presence there is negligible, I guess. But on the other side of the Atlantic they are doing very well, and the latest line-up (let's say from 2013 onwards) is starting getting back it's 'Sonyness'. I think their last fatal error was the horrible TN screen of the Z and Z1. Now that they are correcting this, they are definitely the advanced, premium smartphones that one would expect by this brand name.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well put my man, you clearly understand the difference between blindly hating, and not caring. I've demo'd several sony phones, and they look nice and work well...simply don't have an interest in sony. Much like I don't have an interest in moto, although they make really nice phones. The 3 handset makers that float my boat are #1. Apple #2. Samsung #3. HTC, in that exact order. I don't blindly hate anything, other than liver.....geeeesh that horrible smell when my mom would cook it. +10 for seeing where I'm coming from. I really have nothing to say to artsim98
40. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Now I just wonder why darkkjedii couldn't say that.
46. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Read the last 7 words and 1 screen name of post #29
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Not required to, and not going to are two different things. Wahahaha. Boy you're dumb/stupid/simple.
47. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Actually, he didn't really answer, he let somebody else do it and merely agreed.
50. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Post #49. Dude I'm the jedii, just look at me.
24. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1216; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
That's like asking why is that you couldn't you care less about.....Erm.....Huwiea (someone check the spelling)?
51. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7724; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, aren't they?
55. TMach (Posts: 349; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Yep! And opinions are like a certain orifice, everybody has one of those too!
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Please remember that when giving yours.
61. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Dark bought his phones on contract and Sony is not on his carrier.
That's my assumption, btw.
63. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7724; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Darkk buys his phones off contract like I do.. Contracts = jail
68. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Absolutely. Last time I signed my contract was about 6 years ago. Now, enjoying my freedom.
69. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly smurf, and I use Craigslist a lot too. +1
71. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Relax. It's because very few people buy high end device outright. Now I know you're 'rich'. Happy now?
12. Liveitup (Posts: 1082; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Reminds me of my Lumia Windows Phone home screen.
34. Credo (Posts: 692; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Me too actually, but the way Samsung designs it, it just looks better, those are even more alive then live tiles from Windows Phone, i think something is missing in the Windows Phone design language .... Don't shoot me, i'm just a regulair Windows Phone user who's tired of the lazy slow Microsoft ;-)
38. Liveitup (Posts: 1082; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I disagree, with Windows Phone I can rearrange my Tiles to look many different ways, it's gorgeous, with Magazine UX it looks washed out and more like a weak imitation, they prob would get sued by MS.
54. rangaha (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
right, they'll get sued for what they had since galaxy s2.
21. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 329; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
The Z2 doesn't seem that far off, although it definitely won't have a "Rap around screen message indicator" and I doubt it will have a wrap around screen message indicator.
And hopefully the flagships won't be using Snapdragon 800s... That's what we saw in 2013, let's see something new.
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Show concepts of the only 3 phones that matter. The next iPhone, gs5, and note 4. 33% + 33% + 33% of the pie.
30. Feanor (Posts: 295; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
oh, I made a polite reply to your comment No 14, but for this one, I wish they still had the good old thumbs down...
Are you posting, only to post something?
31. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
When it comes to sales, innovation, setting trends, being household names, being synonymous with being the mobile leaders, and being the ones people line up and wait for, name me 3 other phons that matter more. In fact name me one. Only the HTC M8 can be mentioned, and it matters way less than those 3, and I never post just to post. I'm am the jedii dude. I'm waiting bro...
33. Feanor (Posts: 295; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Hahaha, Dark Jed, I think both you and me are having very boring Sundays, sitting here and arguing over smartphones. :-)))
Respect for your opinion though. Peace
35. darkkjedii (Posts: 10531; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm on vacation for two weeks, looking forward to boring relaxing days bro lol. Peace man, glad to see you don't get all bent outta shape over good old fashioned tech talk. Post #32 stop hating.