Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S II now available for Stateside use on AT&T and T-Mobile
Besides having to pay an unsubsidized price for the phone, you could also be missing out on certain design changes. For example, as we reported, the Samsung Hercules is expected to come to T-Mobile and there is speculation that the phone-with its larger 4.5 inch display-is a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S II for the nation's fourth largest carrier.
We recently told you that speculation was centering on Verizon becoming the first carrier to offer the Samsung Galaxy S II with a possible August 12th launch date. With that day increasingly becoming more unlikely for the release of this summer's hottest smartphone, the most likely scenario now is a September launch. And don't forget, the recently leaked Verizon roadmap mentioned a September launch of the Samsung Stratosphere, a phone with specs that exactly match those of the Galaxy S II.
source: Newegg via UnwiredView
1. Irad123 posted on 07 Aug 2011, 03:44 2 1
I can almost sniff the SGSII coming to the U.S. Come to papa!
2. John (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 03:53 0 0
Although it seems unlikely that the SGSII will come out for Verizon on the 12th, I really hope it does it would be great timing, if it is in September I'm going to be pretty bummed.
3. koreampuff (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 04:41 0 0
I think you mean T-Mobile users will have 3g only.
4. Tenko (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 05:22 0 0
No, it's AT&T 3G only. T-Mobile uses AWS (1700/2100).
5. chris23 posted on 07 Aug 2011, 05:34 0 0
No, they are correct about the phone being At&T 3G only. i looked at the reviews and on Newegg.com there is always one person that doesnt read the description of the specs and leaves a negative review because the phone runs on edge only. And that was the case for some poor fellow T-mobile member
10. remixfa posted on 07 Aug 2011, 10:08 2 2
Its true. Tmo uses their own 3g/4g signals. If samsung would just release a darn GSM world phone with all signals Id grab one full retail. Im 80% sure im skipping out on the Hercules since it runs with a darn Snapdragon instead of a Exynos core according to rumors.
Let the specs be wrong!!!!! lol
15. remixfa posted on 07 Aug 2011, 12:12 4 4
i see taco is following me and thumbing down anything I say today.. lol.. every comment ive made no matter what has gotten a thumbs down..
oh man... i think im gonna cry!! oh those thumbs down hurt me so bad!!! lololol
23. TOdoubleD posted on 07 Aug 2011, 23:45 1 1
Taco would thumb down his own family, if uncle Steve told him to! LOL.
27. remixfa posted on 08 Aug 2011, 07:01 0 0
oh im sure he'd do more than that if ol stevey commanded it of him. :)
6. wassup posted on 07 Aug 2011, 07:16 3 1
meh, i bought mine when i was in england in july.
also, it works on AT&T 3G.
its awesome as usual
7. fatgurl (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 08:53 2 0
Who ever thumbed down wassup is just jealous cuz they haven't gone to the uk and dnt have a Samsung galaxy s2..
8. StormTrooper626 (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 08:55 0 0
This is a little late guys. I have had a GS2 from expansis usa since may.
9. DontHateOnS60 posted on 07 Aug 2011, 09:20 3 0
Unlocked = no carrier bulls**t. It's worth every penny.
13. dj (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 11:33 0 0
you mean you dont like us carrier variants that are bulkier and have cool names such as hercules or within?
11. Go_fast (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 11:01 0 0
Where is the 32gb model??
12. Gsmalltheway posted on 07 Aug 2011, 11:17 0 0
This makes no sense at all. Why not make a phone with ALL 3G bands?? More people will buy which = more money for samung.
14. astarling10 (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 11:44 0 0
I've had the S II for over a month and I bought it from new egg and it works great on ATT. Not sure why this its news now. It its a great phone though.
16. what the (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 13:52 0 0
I highly doubt they would piss of the american audience any more they know theyre behind schedule and any more postponing and i will just get the next best thing as will many other consumers.
17. ltr (unregistered) posted on 07 Aug 2011, 14:02 0 0
Being in EDGE aint too bad, a little faster then Evdo. I had a unlocked Galaxy1 year ago, THe Wifi is great.
18. Dj21o posted on 07 Aug 2011, 15:36 0 0
I'm still waiting for this sexy monster, I don't care if I have to wait another month if I have to. No phone is worth 650.00 in my honest opinion lol. I also like reading reviews on things instead of just buying it because it is new. No problems are nice. :)
19. btbotimtim posted on 07 Aug 2011, 19:46 0 0
I have a question.
Does AT&T 15 dollar unlimited non-smartphone data work on unlocked phones?
specifically, unlocked non-branded smartphones?
$5.99 t-zones works on unlocked sensation.
unlocked phones are a bit more expensive but worth it over time if cheap data works.
20. RAIDERWILL posted on 07 Aug 2011, 20:05 0 1
Eh.. All my fellow Verizon Campers.. You know this phone is not going to have hdmi out ( without an adaptor..) and no 4G radio right ?.. And... You do understand its not coming until Quarter One 2012 right? Right along with Ice Cream Sandwhich.... That's why I decided a month ago to go with a Droid Charge.. Its now Rooted Runny Gummy and damn fast.. For me.. The mid 2012 upgraded G2S2 running at 1.5mhz might be worth a look.. By then all the bugs will be out of it.. It will have 4G.. And the Ice Cream Sandwhich operating system should have plenty of Mods and be running smooth as silk... Until then, My Rooted Droid Charge is more than capable.. Running Gingerbread 2,3.4 and Nexflix Heaven with the Super Amoled Plus Screen Baby!
21. sgogeta4 posted on 07 Aug 2011, 22:15 0 0
And your sources for all this information? Whoever told you Q1 2012 is either a liar or does not know what they're talking about. Not that the Droid Charge isn't a good phone (because it is the best of Verizon's current line up) but I'd still take the SGSII over the Droid Charge.
24. sgsii (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 01:00 0 0
I have mine since June 1 on AT&T and it works great. If you have a 4g plan the phone will do UMTS+. I live in a town that is not 4g yet and I get about 2.5 to 3.0 mb down but I just went to San Diego and I tested it and got 10.00 mb. so its 4g not just 3g although, its not LTE.
25. Jeff (unregistered) posted on 08 Aug 2011, 01:08 0 0
Samsung Galaxy S II (Hercules) unlock codes: http://unlockcellphonecode.com
28. XTREEMMAK posted on 08 Aug 2011, 10:14 0 0
Why is this freakin phone taking forever to get to USA?!?!? Almost everyone in the world has it but us. This is starting to get old!
29. Oseis (unregistered) posted on 09 Aug 2011, 12:07 0 0
AT&T "4G" HSPA+ works on the SGS2 with some minor tweaking of the APN's.