Shin: Samsung on the cusp of announcing the acquisition of a mobile-related tech firm
While Shin would not name the target company that Samsung is close to purchasing, he made a point of discussing the new Smart Stay function on the just unwrapped Samsung Galaxy S III as an example of what these acquisitions can lead to. The Smart Stay function uses the front-facing camera on the Samsung Galaxy S III to see if you are looking at the screen so that the display won't time out.
Shin didn't give any precise date when the deal would be announced although it is believed to be imminent. Samsung is now the world's leading smartphone manufacturer and Shin's mobile division accounted for 75% of the Korean company's $4.5 billion profit in the first quarter.
2. jove39 (Posts: 1196; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Thinking...what kind of company they might buy...Samsung already manufactures - Processors, Display, Storage...not sure about radio equipment!
4. Rangers (Posts: 12; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
You need to read the article more carefully: "he also said that Samsung had no plans to buy ailing handset manufacturer RIM."
16. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
just joking - do not get your panties all bunched up :-)
13. pbui.818 (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Also said he's "looking at several *software* firms"
3. rg987 (Posts: 130; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
ask MR. SHIN , not to be shinchan and buy a company that knows about phone's designs too . bcoz their phones' designs are really bad . all that kills their phones are their designs
5. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
They said a software related company not a handset manufacturer.
17. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3510; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Why/how could they buy Motorola? Didn't Google already acquire them? I don't think Google would hand it over, much less so soon after the purchase.
12. BattleBrat (Posts: 883; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I wish someone would purchase SPB, makers of the SPB Shell 3D launcher and incorporate it into their phone. I REALLY like the way it handles folders.
That smart stay function sounds epic!
18. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
huh, lots of red thumbs...oh TACoooooooo
20. samfrancisco (Posts: 12; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
Strong software firms will be acquired to build apps for Samsung's own SDKs like the S Pen, AllShare, and possibly the new ones - S Voice, S Beam, etc. This move would cement Samsung's lead over other manufacturers which only focuses on hardware and not the ecosystem.
22. pbui.818 (Posts: 78; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)