Samsung wants to patent a phone with bendable display and chassis, patent application reveals
1. tech2 (Posts: 3360; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
and what purpose such a phone would serve ?
PS. Those side bezels look straight out of transformers movie.
6. drunkenjay (Posts: 859; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
its for sports etc. riding a bike with your phone that can bend meaning it will contour around your body thus less discomfort
10. Finalflash (Posts: 2779; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
No, its for more than that. I have been advocating this stuff forever now, thank god they finally got around to making it happen. A phone you can squeeze in your palm would allow you to reach almost any point on the screen easily with one hand even with a very large screen. Reaching across would be a joke since you can squeeze it to bend it in a U shape and reaching the top left/right of the screen would also be easier. That would allow you to have a bigger screen and still use it with one hand fairly easily. Aside from that the durability increase is nice as well.
16. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Did I read bendable? Oh! YES... shouldnt apple already be awarded with the patents of bendable phone? It is their innovation
11. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8478; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
It's just a representation of the actual thing.
19. engineer-1701d (Posts: 3266; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
they already showed the flexible battery last year
the second is from 2013
2. rk181090 (Posts: 4; Member since: 15 Jan 2015)
It won't break and can bend easily, avoid discomfort of having large displays in your pocket, etc. etc.
7. drunkenjay (Posts: 859; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
and if samsung wins a lawsuit, obama will use executive order to not ban apple products.
4. seven7dust (unregistered)
it's weird ! will probably feel very plasticky or even slimy.
I don't think flexible phones will take off. build quality will be sub-standard.
5. amasog (Posts: 338; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
LOL!!! I'VE BEEN READING ARTICLES ABOUT THIS BENDABLE PHONES FOR YEARS!!!
& UNTIL NOW, IT IS REMAINS A RUMOR!!!
NOTHING NEW HERE!!!!!
8. maherk (Posts: 3420; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Rumors? Apple did implement thia technology in the iPhone 6+. Where have you been living in buddy?
9. lyndon420 (Posts: 3882; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
True but apple hasn't perfected the concept of bending it back straight without it breaking. Once it is bent you have to leave it that way. But...will give them credit though as I hear their return policy is less of a pain now for their bendable iPhone.
12. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 8478; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
One thing is for sure, if Samsung gets a patent for a bending display, we know one company's phone that will likely never have one because it would require licensing the tech from either Samsung or LG and I don't see it happening.
In a phone I just don't see the practicality. Unless they actually make a phone that can rollup into a tube which would be ultra-cool.
13. SuperNova (banned) (Posts: 649; Member since: 15 Jan 2015)
If the new Note 5 (or Note 6, maybe) would be this device, it could be really easy to make it smaller by folding it up and effectively can be fitted it in half the space, bent the screen to match our eyes and make it easier when on the run by putting it on wrist. This is a great idea from Samsung. Hope to see it soon.
26. Ruturaj (Posts: 1288; Member since: 16 Oct 2014)
Or be of same size and when opened becomes a tablet.
14. techken (Posts: 2; Member since: 13 Jan 2015)
We need better battery and not bendable display!
18. G9-Kokos (Posts: 27; Member since: 31 Jan 2015)
And do you think they dont? Do you think that the companies that depend on consumers money dont want to offer the best and crush the competition?
Do you imagine what would happen if Samsung said: "Look every1. Our new flagship can do 1 week on heavy use with just a single charge"
They would swipe EVERYTHING. and i mean 90%+ over worldwide sales.
They dont do it, not because the dont want, but because the cant.
Battery technology is very tricky. You must develop a WHOLE new battery. That means from new matterial, new design etc. Everything. And then test it for
1) Safety. Cause what good will be if its amazing battery but turn your mobile into a mini-bomb
2) Long life. Due to discharges and recharges that wear batteries off.
Its like developing a quantum cpu. We sort off have the idea. But we cant still produce something concrete.
And every new battery technology must go the same way.
So its easier, and cheaper, for the companies to just first optimize the SOC to use less power, less nm etc, better screens that use less power again, algorithms like hotplugs or governors in the kernel to save power.
15. TBomb (Posts: 692; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
You could turn a phone into a watch with a simple accessory O.O
17. LGisgood (Posts: 833; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
only LG and Samsung has it! no other smartphone manufacturer can do this.
22. digitalw (Posts: 64; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
yes...indeeed. And they pay royalities for that to... see 2 posts lower ;)
20. tacarat (Posts: 727; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
Yet another example of Samsung blatantly ripping off Apple again. For shame.
What? The comment is too early? Wait for the Apple iPeel to be released first? I thought that was the stripper app...
21. digitalw (Posts: 64; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Well, good luck with that Samsung
23. kerginaldo17 (Posts: 167; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Nokia currently has no money to take this project ahead.Only big companies can make this.And bend display will happens.Is a old dream of smartphone makers.Just a matter of time.
24. hellonerds (Posts: 313; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Here we go again.. lawsuit from apple.. iPhone 6+ was the world's first bendable phone..
My note 4 Dont have this.. my iPhone 6 also don't have it..
25. insanity99 (Posts: 31; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
Lets just wait if apple can file a lawsuit against samsung and lets see if they will win.
27. Hellouser (Posts: 39; Member since: 05 Feb 2015)
I'm good. I wont ever purchasing one of these. Just somthing about it bothers me. I like sturdiness in my life.