Samsung to release smartphones with flexible displays that fold in half by end of 2015
1. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1119; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
So I guess we shall finally see the return of the flip phone?
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
May be a tablet that can be folded into a smartphone???? Sounds cool...
7. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
However innovative the tech is implication should be neat and useful. Hope Sammy pull this off even more sooner...
14. smarttechbadworld (Posts: 74; Member since: 07 May 2014)
no the note 5 itself will fold in half this time if not the note 6 surely will.
26. Daftama (Posts: 619; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
This would a great slogan "bend without breaking"
16. joe1blue (Posts: 168; Member since: 25 Jul 2013)
If samsung did that then some iphone people would say its gimmicky.
2. AndroidLollipop (unregistered)
# Foldgate :)
3. vuyonc (Posts: 993; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Please showcase the panels at MWC or CES, Samsung.
4. xuerantiger (Posts: 52; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
if samsung can really pull this off, i'm sold
10. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Yes. Maybe finally, the bigger, the better, trend will be over.
11. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
10 inch screen tablet that can fold into a 5 inch screen sized handset would be bloody brilliant. The major hurdle here is that they need to make it so the folded area isn't obvious or lesser quality than the rest of the screen. If you see an obvious visual or colour loss where it folds it's not going to work. It needs to look completely uniform when flattened out.
17. marcski07 (Posts: 598; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
i think, this why they introduced note 4 edge, where, if you fold the device, it will look like note 4 edge.
12. kurama. (Posts: 85; Member since: 13 Sep 2014)
Samsung is up to something crazy again like last time with the note concept. While apple meh. Won't upgrade it's camera from 8 and is trying to deceive people with the dual camera bs.
25. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
You mean the Tablet P? That doesn't count. That was just a giant flip phone where when you flatten it out it became two screens. This is supposed to flatten out to be one big screen. There is a huge difference.
15. ACTxOFxGOD (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Nov 2014)
iPhone 6+ already does this, just put in pocket and sit...
18. treasure (Posts: 14; Member since: 31 Oct 2014)
you made me so laugh, brilliant comment =))
21. LeBoeuf (Posts: 6; Member since: 17 Nov 2014)
NO...forget that...I want the "Red Planet" pull out screen.
22. xtroid2k (Posts: 515; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Honestly I think this is going to bring us closer to a truely ubiquitus computing experience. I always have thought that one day we will have one computing device which will be a phone, tablet and home computer. What I mean is having one solution that you can use in three different ways. A smartphone which opens into a tablet and then a docking station which makes it a full desktop.
23. pavsidhu (Posts: 214; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Finally a phone that is supposed to bend!
24. gunnor (Posts: 25; Member since: 22 Oct 2014)
Have the phone screen bend in two and when it's folded the outer screen is dual sided. I'd be sold if the had a physical keyboard.
27. nbringer (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Sounds intriguing, but I don't see much appeal for the phone business. Maybe for large wall screens that you can fold around...