Samsung sues LG seeking to invalidate OLED patents
had no innovation behind them and should be invalidated. The move by Samsung against its fellow Korean tech giant had a lot to do with the September countersuit in which LG sued Samsung claiming that Sammy violated LG Display's seven OLED patents with the Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy S II HD, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy S II and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. LG filed the suit after Samsung accused LG of stealing some of Samsung's technology for its OLED patents.
Because they don't require backlights like LED panels do, OLED displays are thinner and have been used by Samsung on their handsets and tablets while LG has used the technology for its televisions. But what concerns Samsung, and is the reason why they are being so aggressive with these patents, is that an LG victory in the September suit could possibly keep OLED technology off future Samsung handsets.
source: YonhapNewsAgency via Phandroid
1. someones4 posted on 19 Nov 2012, 20:30 6 2
I actually like OLED screens.
And in this case i have no idea who to root for.
19. Mxyzptlk posted on 19 Nov 2012, 23:24 4 8
So you're saying it's ok for Samsung to sue for ridiculous patent reasons?
23. gallitoking posted on 20 Nov 2012, 00:21 4 12
two wrongs doesn't make it right.. said it a while back ago that Samgung is no better than Apple
29. Bernoulli posted on 20 Nov 2012, 08:02 0 0
I could care less when you said that Samsung is no better than Apple, all I did was reply to this mate who asked whether it was okay for Samsung to Sue for ridiculous patent reasons, and I just simply brought up how when Apple sued over round edges, which seems beyond ridicule to me, since I used to be a fan of the Walkman line up from Sony Ericsson and all their lineup was candy bar with round edges, long before the iphone came out
26. someones4 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 00:58 5 1
I did not say anything, child.
My statement is I like OLED display. On one hand, LG may have made this but they do not put them on phones. Samsung on the other hand made it better. i would hate the galaxy line for not having this display.
Although i could live with the IGZO display or IPS.
28. troutsy posted on 20 Nov 2012, 07:28 2 0
Don't get angry, he's just a troll using your post to get a premium seat in the comments.
3. shuaibhere posted on 19 Nov 2012, 20:32 2 0
Confusion confusion.....what will be the solution??????
4. Android4u posted on 19 Nov 2012, 20:33 7 8
wow....Sammy that's kind of disappointing on your part...let apple Sue their competition... just keep on innovating and you will be fine.
5. Goldeneye posted on 19 Nov 2012, 20:38 5 9
Exactly now it'll be interesting to see crapsung's fanboys sayings, yeah Apple this and that and I'm sure this time is ok.
7. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:04 14 6
What makes people angry about Apple's lawsuits is Apple's patents are garbage like rectangle with rounded corners or flat centered screen.
OLED is real serious innovation that Samsung spent billions or hundreds of millions to develop so they should protect it, there's no shame.
Let the Court decide who is right.
9. Android4u posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:07 0 9
thats an Invalid argument my friend
10. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:12 7 4
LOL, would you tell me where is wrong?
14. Android4u posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:47 2 8
lol....your entire response is wrong...lg did oled first. and those are garbage patents but nonetheless they are patents.
16. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 19 Nov 2012, 22:11 4 2
Your claim is very bold man, the history of the technology is vey complicated and no 1 can claim to be the FIRST.
IDK if LG is the 1st to make an OLED product but even then it does not mean LG invented OLED.
17. Android4u posted on 19 Nov 2012, 22:18 1 4
i didnt say they invented it. they probally didnt but they did have it out in the market before samsung.. that's all...the whole sueing game is getting old fast. that's just my honest opinion... but just like assholes, everybody has one.
11. jphillips63 posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:21 6 7
Samsung didn't research and developed oled, LG did and was the first to market it in TV sets Samsung wants to use LG's technology in there hones and tablets. So it'll be a clear winner in LG's behalf on thus lawsuit. Sammy is just wanting to discredit LG for there technology so they can use it in there own products.
12. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:32 5 3
I wouldn't say who is right and who is wrong in this case, but SS products are proof that they have done a good job with OLED/AMOLED.
But there are perhaps dozens or hundreds of patents related to the technology and it's not surprise that LG and SS clash over some of the patents.
6. redmd posted on 19 Nov 2012, 20:41 1 0
you should get the idea of what the last sentence is about
22. anywherehome posted on 20 Nov 2012, 00:19 1 0
have you read it properly??? Lg sued Samsung and Samsung just want to invalidate stolen patents ;)
8. Quezdagreat posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:07 11 10
I hope lg wins the lawsuit, those damn copycat
13. oister85 posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:33 0 0
what i thought samsung and lg were like brothers i guess not
i wrote this comment on my psvita
15. Android4u posted on 19 Nov 2012, 21:52 0 2
and anyone else that tells you different obviously can't tell their ass from their elbow..
20. christianqwerty posted on 19 Nov 2012, 23:39 2 1
Let me guess, " it's apple's fault for starting it!"
24. kobainez posted on 20 Nov 2012, 00:47 2 1
WTH???? SONY SHOULD SUE SAMSUNG BECAUSE SONY IS THE ONE THAT INVENTED OLED BUT SAMDUNG STOLE IT
25. bluexperia posted on 20 Nov 2012, 00:53 1 0
since suing is a trend now, why dont they sue each other in a sequence. samsung>apple>lg>samsung.. eventually they will get their money backs.. hahaha.. makes me wanna use nokia again...
30. rex1213 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 17:01 0 0
Oh Sammy! You should have done the same approach on Apple's suit on rounded corners. Yes, I'm talking about questioning the validity of the patent.