Samsung D880 DUOS is GSM with two SIM cards

Posted: , by Nanko R.

This article contains unofficial information.

Samsung D880 DUOS is GSM with two SIM cards
When we are talking about GSM phones, we must note the role of SIM card – it is a small chip that stores information on your account and allows the device to communicate with the carrier and in this way be usable as a phone. This means that if you have two accounts, you must have two phones or switch the one with the other, only one being active at the same time. That was until now.

Samsung D880 DUOS is the first GSM phone from major manufacturer (earlier there were solutions from Chinese brands with contestable qualities) to work with 2 SIM cards at the same time. In standby both cards are active and when dialing, DUOS asks which one to be used. The two can have different tone for incoming call and when one arrives, the phone says which card (number) it is destined to.

Features of the DUOS include 2.3” QVGA display, 3.2-megapixel camera, Stereo Bluetooth and FM radio.

Samsung SGH-D880 DUOS will be available for about $700 among Europe countries in November.

via UnwiredView

Samsung D880 DUOS is GSM with two SIM cards
Samsung D880 DUOS is GSM with two SIM cards

posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:41

Nextel has had two--line phones for years, with a single SIM. Their billing can be together or separate; you can arrange to have the bills for each line sent to separate addresses for payment. For example, an employee can use their company-provided phone with their own separate billing for their personal useage, but only have to carry one phone.

posted on 03 Oct 2007, 10:51

but this seem better than nextel cuz u can have an international # nd a local #

posted on 16 Oct 2007, 00:22

with nextel, both lines are NOT active at once. i know because i have one with 2 lines. also, coverage area sucks (very limited)

posted on 13 Jan 2008, 12:33

4. Kashif (unregistered)

Hi all phonearena friends; Samsung D880 is really disapointing to me i bought it yesterday from a samsung dealer in my country in PKR 23000, and sold it today at PKR 15000. As a mobile its good but as a double sim mobile its get zero marks from me; Reason is that "two sim mobile means a mobile which receive and send calls from both sims at same time" but this one can call from one sim at once, if u want to call from second sim u have to restart the phone, then secondry sim become first. Every time u call from second sim u have to repeat the whole process. This mobile can only take or receive call at both sims at one time but when u want to dial a call from second sim u have to restart it and it take 35-40 seconds. Kashif, Attock, Pakistan

posted on 13 Jun 2008, 02:23

13. Man Mohan Singh (unregistered)

Dude... You could have asked the General, even he ain't that stupid...

posted on 31 Oct 2008, 23:35

21. Cool head (unregistered)

Hey Kashif, samsung did not really do the job of educating its users hence the issue. The phone is reaaly superb for the 2 sim facility. You are wrong that the phone needs to reboot, just select the no. u need to call, there is a switch above the volume button which helps to select the sim outgoing call, thats all - its so easy my friend!

posted on 20 Jan 2008, 06:05

I think you are wrong.. I have one and I am happy with it. it will let you choose which line you want to use without restarting it. just press a small button above the volume. Sorry to hear that you have to sell it to a much cheaper price. I hope I am the one that you sell it to

posted on 07 Feb 2008, 04:16

6. Spider (unregistered)

Hi Kashif, You did a foolish mistake to sold it out (loss of 8000 rupees)!If you had read the user manual, then you didn't sold it. Because Your mobile will only REBOOT automatically if you change PRIMARY SIM from MENU options. While to CHANGE your simcard WITHOUT REBOOTING the phone, is to press the little button (located above the volume button at the left side of the phone). just TYPE your desired phone number or SMS and then, press the little button on left side to select your SIMCARD (SIM1 or SIM2). Then press "SEND" green button which directly send phone call or message to your desired number without restarting the mobile. For full demonstration of this procedure, please watch this YOUTUBE video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJa5vJf5ZPs And ofcourse, you can receive phone calls and messages on your BOTH SIMs at the same time as well. And goodluck next time! Spider from PAKISTAN

posted on 28 Aug 2008, 07:42

18. Deb (unregistered)

Thank you so much for the link to you tube. I found this so difficult to do, but the video clip is amazing and solved my problems. Thanks again.

posted on 09 Feb 2008, 01:08

I am interested in the phone, but being that it is triband and not quad, reception I hear is poor for the US and according to some won't even work with ATT. Tell me it isn't so.

posted on 27 Feb 2008, 06:41

8. viajero (unregistered)

A triband phone will work in the US. It may or may not work in Japan and Korea (as they have a different system), but a 3G system (which, unfortunately my D880 does not have) will

posted on 09 Mar 2008, 04:09

9. D880 fan (unregistered)

Hi Friends, I have two queries regarding the Duos. Can any one tell me what is the SMS capacity of Duos and is there any means to increase it? What is the platform (firmware) loaded in this mobile and what are the possible softwares that can be loaded on this? Thanks a lot. D880 fan.

posted on 21 Apr 2008, 01:17

10. jade (unregistered)

Slot 1 is triband and works in the USA. However, slot 2 always says NO SERVICE, no matter what SIM I put in. (even the one that was working in slot 1). In Asia, both slots are working

posted on 02 May 2008, 10:38

11. abeefe (unregistered)

I'm having the exact same problem. Have you figured out how to fix it? i'm in USA and slot two won't work. slot one works with either SIM. If I switch primary, both work. But I can't get them both going at the same time!!!

posted on 25 Jun 2008, 12:26

15. andreoide (unregistered)

Hi, were you able to get both sims working at the same time, I just bought my phone and Im having the same issue here in the US. Please let me know if you did anythig to get it to work. Thanks.

posted on 01 Aug 2009, 22:45

23. cheenahc (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Aug 2009)

Hello!im here in the US and im having the same problem too. any of you guys figured it out already? please let me know soon.

posted on 08 Jun 2008, 09:12

12. Bathiya (unregistered)

Any body know that, how to apply a new theme instead of manufacture themes. and where I can download those new themes ?

posted on 14 Jun 2008, 10:56

14. muahzim (unregistered)

if you ever found themes please mail me at muahzim@gmail.com thanks

posted on 10 Jul 2008, 02:45

Slot 1 Is tri band however (900 / 1800 / 1900) Slot 2 Is NOT tri band and only dual. (900 / 1800) The U.S. pretty much only uses the 1900 frequency so slot 1 is the only one that is compatible with the U.S.

posted on 08 Aug 2008, 10:41

17. Prakash (unregistered)

Yeah, I got the D880 hoping to use it in the US during my frequent travel here with my country SIM and a local SIM. Unfortunately, Slot 1 only works in the US Slot 1 Is tri band - (900 / 1800 / 1900) Slot 2 Is NOT tri band and only dual. (900 / 1800) Here I am , saddled with one more paper weight !

posted on 21 Sep 2008, 22:54

19. srb66 (unregistered)

when i connect my D880 with my pc i only see contact name but not the number , how can i see the number in pc studio software , any body have any information.

posted on 30 Sep 2008, 03:54

20. Ajayi Emmanuel Yinka (unregistered)

It saves one from carrying two handsets at a time

posted on 20 Nov 2008, 12:51

DO U KN OW IF IT WORKS IN JAMAICA?