Report: Apple iPhone phablet (aka the Apple iPhone Air) pushed back to 2015 or perhaps even later
According to the report, the suppliers are referring to the 5.5 inch iPhone model as the Apple iPhone Air. This dovetails with an earlier story back in January that claimed Apple was working on a 6mm thin Apple iPhone Air. Not only does today's report from Taiwan seem to confirm the name of the device, it also confirms that Apple is working on a phone that is thin enough to demand a battery with an unusually thin footprint. We also showed you a picture that was said to be the metal housing for the Apple iPhone Air.
As usual with a story of this type, we urge you to take it with a grain of salt. This is the time of the year when the air is thick with iPhone rumors (no pun intended) and many of them just do not pan out. Still, expectations have been raised so high, that if Apple does not release a large screened version of its iconic smartphone this year, there is bound to be some disappointment. As usual, Apple is pretty tight-lipped about anything iPhone related until the next iteration is unveiled.
Thanks for the tip!
source: CommercialTimes (translated) via GforGames
1. Antimio (Posts: 313; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
I always knew it. They're just not prepared for that market.
3. akki20892 (Posts: 3847; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Actually good move, because they don't want to lose some sell number of iPhone 6. They will announce in iPad event 2015.
8. Doakie (Posts: 1758; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Honestly who wants a phone THAT thin. My Note 3 is already really thin. I never thought to myself "Man, I wish this phone was thinner... "
12. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I thought a thin phone was great to have...until I had a Droid RAZR. Its so thin...it can be a lil uncomfortable to hold one handed. The added bulk from a thicker phone actually feels better to hold.
For reference I also had a Rezound and Galaxy Nexus at the same time...was trying a lil experiment, comparisons with all 3.
Apple.....ultra thin isnt always great for smartphones.
14. H3Drvr (Posts: 43; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
"Apple Ultra Thin" Sounds like some type of feminine hygiene product...
15. 36thDisciple (Posts: 10; Member since: 21 Apr 2014)
Actually, it sounds like a male sexual safety product...
19. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
i owned that phone until DECEMBER and sold it on ebay for 175.00. I had a case on it most of the time, and it was not unfortable to hold. The Nexus 5 is pretty thin, but a case on that one makes it just fine to hold.
17. Antimio (Posts: 313; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
Totally! there is no benefit from having such a thin device.
31. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Unless they are getting the bendable screen technology from LG, a phone that size but that thin would suffer damage more than a thicker phone would. We've already seen iPhone 5's bend and suffer damage, expect a lot more of that should Apple proceed along these lines.
This whole race for thinness has gotten out of control. IMO, the focus should be on weight reduction, not size reduction.
26. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1873; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
No, Apple is ready for that market. I think it would be smart for them to push the release away from iPhone 6 release about 6 months. This way they will be releasing two headsets a year. It'll help them to reel in even more money. On top of that, this way will ensure the factory to keep up with the production. This is a very genius move on their part.
39. Topcat488 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Samsung has been doing this with the Galaxy S & Note Series for years now... Apple will be copying, but as you say it's a very genius move. O.o "Two launches"
43. WallStreetWolf (Posts: 289; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
Good god, every company that has multiple product offerings does this. I admit that calling it "genius" is overzealous, but saying that they copied Samsung is just as ludicrous. Comparing Apple to Samsung just isn't feasible based on their different business models.
49. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1873; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Of course it isn't an original idea :P but this will definitely help boost Apple's sale even more. There are people out there just can't use a phone with only 4" screen and Apple finally taping into larger screen market which will help them to gain sale. Might be a little to get into the game, but it's better late than never.
We should see how everything unfold
2. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1873; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Just add call function on the iPad mini then you'll have your iPhone Air. Problem solved.
48. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1873; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Can't you get a Google number too? I can't remember
4. tigermcm (Posts: 838; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
*sigh* like jay said just add call function on the mini and you're good to go. one less device to worry/spend money on
5. BCMWorld (Posts: 22; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
They are prepared for the court but not for the market
9. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 158; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Manufacturers aren't ready for them!
6. nctx77 (Posts: 1332; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
I'm having a hard time thinking that apple would release the new phablet during an "S" model year. Also, I thought they were having problems with the screen, not the battery.
36. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
This isn't an "S" model year, last year was.
47. willard12 (Posts: 1344; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
They are reporting it as a separate model from the 4.7 in iPhone.
7. BCMWorld (Posts: 22; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
They are prepared for the court but not for the market
10. nctx77 (Posts: 1332; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
On second thought, they may release this along side the S6. Sammy don't wont that lol! This would make since. They either need to launch these phones together or different parts of the year.
13. phatdaddio21 (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 Aug 2013)
The bigger phone don't need to be that thin build a damn phone like others and put a decent size battery in it the I phone 5S is so thin now you have to put a thick battery pack on it just to get through the day ,,APPLE YOUR DEFEATING YOUR OWN PURPOSE BY TRYING TO BE SO STUPID ASS THIN
24. iampayne (Posts: 321; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
You realize your complaining about a phone that probably doesn't even or has ever existed right?
16. rossumentum (Posts: 48; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
haha pathetic apple.... they gotta keep those thick phones. What is this 2008 lol
45. ecmedic4 (Posts: 298; Member since: 02 May 2013)
"gotta keep those thick phones", umm what? How is 6mm thick? Did you even read the article? It would be even thinner than the motorola droid razr, which was like 7.1 i think. 6mm is just crazy thin, possibly too thin.
18. Immolate (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I expect that Apple is looking for a way to differentiate itself in the large-phone space. I think that being in the space is far more important than having some gimmick to stand out. Just being an Apple will be enough to guarantee a significant market share. As the owner of a Note 3, I can tell you that it is already thin enough to make it feel slightly fragile without a case. Get much thinner and it will feel like you have a pane of glass in your pocket, albeit with slightly rounded corners. They should focus on minimal bezels, forehead and chin. A phablet with a minimal footprint is far more desireable than one with minimal thickness.
22. refillable (Posts: 834; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
I guess they just realized that they have no way competing with the Note 3... Oh well. Thinner=/=Better. I found that that 7.5mm is the sweet spot.
25. mrblah (Posts: 574; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
But you sissies who use A CASE will love it because then its still thin then.
27. Immolate (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Not putting a case on a phablet is like not putting a helmet on when riding a motorcycle. Seems pretty cool and brave until you lay it down on the pavement.
Sooner or later, everyone drops their phone.
30. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I used to think that way. Having kids changed lots of perspectives for me.
A case is usually the first thing a buy with the phone.
28. express77 (unregistered)
Will come late but will have record breaking sales.
32. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
this settles it for me. I won't be getting any iphone anytime soon then.
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 17537; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
When it comes out in the fall, I'm gonna search for this article lol. These comments are too funny.
35. HildyJ (Posts: 269; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
If this is true, it means the only thing Apple could think to market, besides its name, was the thinness of the new device. "The rest of the specs are average but it's Supermodel thin with a Supermodel price from a Supermodel company."
I don't buy it. Apple never had any intention of offering a second form factor. This was a planned excuse after the months of planned rumors in the hope that people could be dissuaded from buying a competing product.
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 17537; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And you heard this from Tom Cook right?
38. iphoneman37 (Posts: 28; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Without my case on my phone I would not feel it in my pocket and as I move a lot at my job I would be paranoid and my wife has a samsung note 3 but the way she drops the phones she's had before she had to have a case.
40. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
My kids mother had an iPhone 4 for awhile. Without the bumper...it was a slippery phone.
I used cases alot before I got the Droid 1....went away from it....wish I hadnt. I have so many broken phones around the house....from my kids and their mother.
42. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Apple's myopic small phone religion has cost them tens of billions in revenue.
Meanwhile Samsung just ships and ships and ships product -- and counts the cash.
Apple should make a nail polish. So they could say they are always waiting for it to dry. Then people would understand why they are so sluggish to respond to the market's needs.
46. mariow2015 (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
Hah! Take a hint! Leave that area to the pros *cough* Samsung *cough*