Pegatron to assemble the Microsoft Surface tablets, the Windows RT one said to cost $599+
1. jubbing (Posts: 150; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
Who cares about how hardware partners feel.. give them a cup of concrete so they can harden up. Also who cares because if they don't make products as well as this tablet (or close to it at least), then they shouldn't be making them in the first place because the iPad will continue to roll over them.
2. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 381; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
acer a700 is much better than MS surface 8 pro tablet with correct pricing.
3. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Acer makes the worst products in the world, how can you even compare Acer to Microsoft?.
13. medicci37 (Posts: 1265; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Yeah, ms makes great products... like the Zune player & Vista. For instance.
14. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Nothing wrong with the products you mentioned, i'm using Vista and I love it.
16. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
name 1 company thats been around that doesnt have a few fail-skeletons in its closet. There was nothing wrong with the zune player, it just got out marketed by apple. Vista.. .well.. vista sucked.
4. kamen (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
Guys, how can you even try to compare a Windows tablet with an Android tablet!? Argue till the end of the world, but neither Android, not iOS, come a mile close to Windows/MacOS in terms of supported features and software. For a mere $150 you get a REAL operating system, office suite and everything else in the world.
8. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
RT can't support x86...
not a 'real' PC operating system.
11. kamen (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
Yes, but it's still a matter of compilation for the "real" windows Metro apps.
9. mrfalure (Posts: 3; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Microsoft is a jerk.
They sabotage nokia,
they will suffer
17. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
W8 PRO is the real OS. W8 RT is the mobile version.. pretty much the same version for the phones. Its no more a full OS than iOS or Android. Considering its lack of apps for the time being, lack of flash, least effective browser so far... I'll stick with android if I want a mobile OS. MS Office is great, but there are so many viable alternatives that its not so bad without it.
W8 Pro is another story.
5. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2230; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Bada OS is better than them all ;) LOL!! Jk... come on give us a release date on the surface already :-D cant wait !!!!
7. mrfalure (Posts: 3; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
this product won't be able to compete with android and ipad.
12. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
are u are a Windows hater or you dont have a clue about Windows8 and what is its purpose its not a phone platform noob its a Tablet/laptop platform means IOS and ANDROID cannot compete vs WINDOWS 8 its compititiors are MAC OS and LINUX since it gives full system features u get in laptops unless you get RT version which will be less powerfull. and i bet u have windows installed on your PC and u still bashing it.
10. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
why so expensive for RT?! :( if RT is expensive then I can't even get a full W8 experience...
Asus Taichi or Transformer Book for me.
15. fleanote (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 Jan 2011)
It won't work. The only chance MS has to break Apple and Android's hold on the market is to under-price them. $600 is not going to do it...remember the Playbook? Apple is working on a $300 Ipad Microsoft, where's yours at this price point?
18. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
a few things
1) MS is setting the bar at "premium". Early adopters will pay it, 3 months later the price will drop.
2) this sets an easy bar for the other manufacturers like Asus to come under price wise. I fully expect a well equipped Asus RT tablet around the 400-500 mark. That makes them look like a "value" comparatively. What does MS care, they are gonna get nearly $80 bux per tablet sold regardless of who sells it.
3) $700 is actually lower than I thought the W8 Pro sets would come in (i figured around 1k).. so if that holds true, then thats a happy surprise. Still to expensive for me, but that means that they should fall into a good range relatively quick.
19. pongkie (Posts: 533; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
If the pro cost like that I may just invest a little more to get the Asus TaiChi
20. quryous (banned) (Posts: 106; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Well, maybe at HALF that price! But only if it includes full OFFICE program.
21. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
What the hell is with that price.. almost $600 :( sorry M$ reduce the price to half then ill buy
23. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
If it's going to be at that price. FORGET IT. Sorry M$ but NO thanks even if this price tag is a rumor
24. julio8833 (Posts: 2; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I'm waiting to buy tablets.. mylifeunix.org
25. amazinghorse (Posts: 38; Member since: 14 Dec 2009)
You know what sucks? I have a feeling that Pentagon has secret intel on every product they produce. Why would any company get the U.S. military complex involved in manufacturing...unless the "all volunteer" army is going away.....That way the U.S. of A. can dethrone China as the phone maker king of the entire universal universe.