Nokia EOS may launch as the Lumia 1020
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
They should have name it Lumia EOS, not Lumia 1020.
But nevertheless, BRING IT ON NOKIA!
13. iamfury (Posts: 60; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
they are slowly moving towards Lumia 3310, "THE ULTIMATE" smart phone :o
18. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
But its not the ultimate smartphone is it......
23. iamfury (Posts: 60; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
There isnt any reason that it cant be. is there any ?
86. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yeah its not Ultimate but will always be a legendary phone and hammer for Samsung phones! :D
3. Penny (Posts: 1337; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
If they name this one EOS, then would they name the next model after that the 1020? If so, where exactly does the EOS fall in their lineup?
The benefit of a numbering system is that it is consistent. Not just easier for us to tell where each device belongs in the lineup, but easier for consumers to remember the Nokia lineup -- something I'm sure they want.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
They can keep the numbers going with their lineups, but this is a 'phamera' with 41 megapixels, which is special, which 'phamera' has 41 megapixels or higher? They should name it EOS to make it sound special.
Just like Sony's Honami, they're going to name it Xperia i1 right?
7. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
1020 is nore relevant.you dont need to scratch your heads in naming successor for this
6. icyrock1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
But eventually it will be really repetitive. I'd rather they make a new naming system after this one; and call this one the Lumia 1000 or Lumia Grand (get it? :P). so that the numbers don't get to high. I also feel the same way about apples naming system. iPhone 10 name is just... eh.
31. Jehovah (Posts: 69; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
I wonder if Nokia numbering system it is not confusing for the first time buyer... You can safely asume that the Galaxy S4 is a more modern phone than the S3, but can you do it by listening Lumia 900 and Lumia 820? Or 800 and 720?
110. Credo (Posts: 699; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Why is you're name Jehovah? Just curious ;-)
134. Jehovah (Posts: 69; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
My fathers choice, he is named Jehovah also, so is my Grandfather.
11. shikroi (Posts: 187; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
If they named it EOS they would have to deal with Canon. That aside, I feel like Lumia 1000 would have been better.
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
You're right, but what about Volkswagen? The Volkswagen Eos? I know it's irrelevant to this article, but Volkswagen named it "Eos", so that means Canon and Nokia would have to deal with Volkswagen right?
14. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
volswagen doesnt have a camera so they are good to go
15. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
they used 1020 coz all windows phone 8 lumias have 20's
24. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
And what about Nokia Lumia 941, Because of the 41MP
30. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
What happens when the Lumia 945 comes out without a 41 MP camera?
46. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
Why they put the picture of Nokia 808?
40. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I guess you'll be pretty disappointed when the Honami turns out to just be called the i1, too. They're just codenames. Try not to get too attached to them.
127. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
You sir made my day. There are too many overly attached fanboys here. Also, you people serious? Eos? Duh??? Canon!!
4. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
i think we should not speculate too much after seeing flop show of sony today
8. _Bone_ (Posts: 2145; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It should have a camera-centric name, I think the Lumia EOS covers that well. Or Lumia 41M, Lumia Snap, Lumia Frame, Lumia Focus, Lumia Album, Lumia HDR (that would actually sell good), Lumia Lens.
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5977; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
L-EOS (pronounced lee-ohs, with emphasis on the oh) might get Nokia out of Canon's clutches from the perspective of trademark infringement, while still keeping the camera-centric product focus. They could also use the PureView moniker (Lumia PureView, anyone?), as that has a camera-centric identity. I was thinking the L1### series should be used for the next generation of Nokia phones (you know, the ones with quad-core processors, 1080p screens, and what-not).
Regardless of the parlor games, it will be interesting to see what branding Nokia ultimately settles on.
41. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
"I was thinking the L1### series should be used for the next generation of Nokia phones"
Nah, that will be the Lumia 940 or 950. Why would they change their naming convention?
9. shikroi (Posts: 187; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
"we know that it will have a borderline unnecessary 41MP camera (unless you really need to print billboard-sized copies of your images, of course)"
After all the articles and arguments about how this particular pureview tech works, do we really need a statement like this at this point in time?
132. akishakoi (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
same sentiments here. If you write this kind of comment on the pixel count of Pureview tech, either you're just acting to know nothing (to favor other brands) or you are someone who lived under the rock who suddenly emerged and posted dumb comments. Why not write "obvious unnecessary telescope at the back of the phone" instead or better yet "obvious unnecessary fusion of a phone and a digicam". Hello S4 Zoom!
16. raunak (Posts: 507; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
Samsung doesn't have a 41mp camera yet on a smartphone, so they ordered PA to say so.
50. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
@Michael H, What about unnecessary 1080p screen or unnecessary 4 core CPU or unnecessary 5.0" screen size or unnecessary 2GB of ram ?
@Potato, you will be banned too
21. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
@Michael H is not so smart, he probably did not hear the term 'lossless zoom' and 'oversampling'!!!
96. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
IDK seems to be a newbie or a hater or paid reviewer :D
27. Darkerm (Posts: 255; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
same reaaction when I was reading this article.
Tell who doesn't want a better camera on their smartphone?
28. Jehovah (Posts: 69; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
Maybe what we should need is a cannonlike protuberance on its back. Okay... just kidding. Phonearena has a good coverage of WP and Nokia phones, I think it was just a wit attempt that surely backfired with some audiences, not an intentional attack on a yet to be realease phone.
116. aelliott (Posts: 25; Member since: 01 Oct 2010)
Wit looks at reality and points out the irony. There is nothing ironic in the 41mp sensor - it makes sense and it works. Therefore the comment "borderline unnecessary" betrays either a lack of understanding of the principles involved or a lowest-common-denominator, lazy journalism.
117. aelliott (Posts: 25; Member since: 01 Oct 2010)
It's not just a case of who doesn't want a better camera on their smartphone; after all, there will be a bump on the back of the 1020, just as there was on the 808 and N8. Personally, I am happy to live with that bump in order to get a better camera - others do not want that "compromise".
38. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Really. May be because S4 zoom has only 16mp camera?
58. Dastrix (unregistered)
I know right! Borderline unnecessary wording by Michael H., to put it in his own words. Why would he even say that? I question the credibility of these writers. More like fanboys.
97. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Or More like Paid writers/reviewers :-/
17. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
battle of the year:
Nokia 1020 vs Sony Honami
25. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
It's not a fair fight, 41MP vs 16MP .
26. icyrock1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
More MP does not a better camera make. sensor size is more important.
44. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
Sony Honami sensor size will be bigger than 1/1.2" ?
123. icyrock1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
I have no idea. I'm simply pointing out Mega Pixel count is not the ends all be all.
100. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yeah! And Nokia uses the Best Camera Sensors after all for their phones since N8 to Lumia 925.
Whereas I'm a fan of Nokia, Apple & Sony. Love Innovators not labels!!
19. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Thank god they have name,end it 1020 I was getting worried it was just gona be called the eos, but anyway I don't see what all the fuss is about, some enlighten me.......
20. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
Yes, This is because you are a Samsung/Android fan.
57. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Yes I do like android that's only because it is the best.....anyway how is it so good its just a camera with phone capabilities.....idiot
85. Boreni (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
If you are looking for a phone with lag, android it's best!
This is what you said about S4 zoom
"It's called giving consumers choice ...."
So what happened to giving consumers a choice ?
129. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
pathetic troll....if samsung had such camera you would brag about it day and night
pathetic, uneducated troll
60. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
The funny thing is I have done some research clearly more than you.....all it is is a camera with phone capabilities
66. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That would be the S"4" Zoom. The EOS is a Lumia 928 with an enormously great camera. So up front it will be a top-notch Windows Phone too.