Nexus Prime: what we know, and what we don't as of Oct. 7
- It's a Samsung device
- It will be the first phone on the market running Ice Cream Sandwhich, which will be Android 4.0
- It will be 802.11n compliant
- - this piece of info has been repeated so many times and we had put it in a lower category, but if it isn't true, Google will have a geek riot on its hands. This rumor was part of Samsung's leaked roadmap, has been sent out as a tweet from Samsung Romania in July, confirmed by Korean news, and by the eye-witness rumors at the Verizon headquarters. Screen resolution has been one of the slower moving parts in Android handsets. CPUs are faster, storage is bigger, cameras are better, but many handsets still use the same 400x800 displays although qHD has started to make a push. If nothing else, this screen is the leading feature on what Google has always held as its pace car device for the Android ecosystem. The resolution and type of screen has essentially been confirmed, although the size is still under a bit of debate.
- The screen will be curved - we saw this in the recent teaser video of the Prime.
- It will have dock connectors - also in the teaser.
- It will have NFC - we saw an app list for the Nexus Prime, and although that's not a smoking gun, it's good enough for this feature.
- It will have facial recognition, which we know because Google flat out said it.
- Capacitive function buttons vs virtual buttons - this one seems like a done deal for virtual buttons, and we have seen enough photo proof to give it the pass. Given the likely display size, and the fact that ICS will be merging the best of Honeycomb to Gingerbread, virtual buttons seem like a certainty, but many people just don't like virtual buttons.
- It will be coming to Verizon, this again is part of the app list linked above, which shows Verizon apps. It's expected that the Prime will come as a timed exclusive for Verizon, but that falls into a lower category.
- TI OMAP 4460 CPU. We have seen enough spec leaks to confirm this, now it's just a matter of what clock speed it will be. Although since we know the chip make, that means we can also confirm the GPU as the SGX540 found on the OMAP 4460 SoC.
- It will be available on T-Mobile at launch - T-Mo is a Nexus standard both because of its history with Google and stock Android devices, but also because it is GSM and a T-Mo model can also be a launched on many carriers around the world. It is very possible that Sprint will also have the device at launch because of its increasingly close relationship with Google, but no Nexus device has launched on any carrier other than T-Mobile in the US, but it's looking more and more likely that will not be the case this time around. UPDATE: We're still betting the Nexus Prime will be on T-Mo when it launches as an official Nexus device, but new rumors have the Prime launching first as the Samsung DROID Prime on Verizon.
- It will have at least 16 GB of internal storage - this is a trend that Google started trying to push with the Nexus S, but has been slow to filter out to the rest of the Android ecosystem. Google wants users to stop having to rely on SD storage for apps, and that means more internal storage. We don't see Google moving backwards from the 16 GB of internal storage that was available in the Nexus S, and there is a possibility that the storage will be even bigger, as the latest rumors have it packing 32 GB of storage.
- - quad-core was a dream, but won't be ready for this release window, and Samsung's Exynos processors have yet to hit 1.5 GHz. We know the make of the chip, it's the clock speed we don't know, because we've heard rumors of both 1.2 GHz and 1.5.
- Availability on Verizon - as we mentioned when we first reported the story, the rumor was that Samsung was showing off the Nexus Prime at Verizon HQ, that's all. There was no indication at all that Verizon would be carrying the phone aside from the unsubstantiated speculation added on by many other tech sites. No Nexus device has ever made it to Verizon, in fact there have been almost no stock Android phones on Verizon at all. Verizon is no fan of the added features in stock Android, and its also not a fan of Android phones that don't come preloaded with Verizon's favorite bloatware. That said, if Verizon can get past the idea of a phone with no bloatware, Google seems willing to concede free tethering and WiFi hotspot functions as those functions of stock Android were recently removed on the Nexus S with the 2.3.5 update. UPDATE: It looks like Verizon won't be getting the Nexus Prime, but will be launching its own variant exclusively before the Nexus Prime. Verizon's variant will be called the Samsung DROID Prime. The new rumors have claimed this will be a complete exclusive for Verizon, but we're still not sold on that. More likely, it will be a timed exclusive for about a month, then the other major carriers will get the Nexus Prime.
- October release - we're sure that Google would probably like to hit an October release for the Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich, but releases of Nexus devices have always been later than expected. The Nexus One was expected to be released for the holiday season 2009, but didn't make it out until January 2010. The Nexus S was expected to be released in time for Thanksgiving 2010, but didn't make it until December. So, Google may be aiming for an October release, but we certainly wouldn't be surprised to see that pushed to a November or even December release, besides, as we've said before, there may not be any reason for Google to rush the Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich for a manufactured head-to-head with the iPhone 4S. UPDATE: this is also a bit of a semantic issue, the Samsung Galaxy Prime will likely launch on Verizon in October, but the Nexus Prime will more likely hit other carriers in November.
- LTE/HSPA+ - we were surprised that the Nexus S didn't have HSPA+ support, and we'd be completely beside ourselves if it didn't exist in the Nexus Prime, but again there has been no word on what to expect as far as a radio in the device. Also, since no other carrier has been confirmed, it's hard to say whether there will be a Prime for Sprint, let alone WiMAX. There has been no word at all about AT&T getting the Nexus Prime. The main push right now is that the Nexus Prime will be on Verizon and will include an LTE radio.
- The Prime will not have any bloatware - this was also something taken from the leaked app list. The worry was never that the Nexus Prime would have bloat, but that Verizon's variant would have bloatware, because that's kind of Verizon's style. But, it's looking more and more likely that won't be the case.
- 5 MP rear camera, 2 MP front camera - we're torn on this one. It's not so much that there's any reason to doubt the 5 MP rear camera, which was also part of the Samsung roadmap leak, and multiple spec rumors, it's more that we don't want it to be true. 5 MP is kind of on the fringe. Obviously, MP don't tell the whole story, but even with a larger sensor, 5MP doesn't always take the best HD video. It could be perfectly fine, but we just need more information about it to get excited. However, a 2 MP front camera would certainly be nice considering most front cameras are still VGA.
- Size of display - this one has had conflicting rumors. While we are willing to say that the display will be the Super AMOLED HD, the size of the screen is harder to peg. The Samsung roadmap had it listed at 4.65", but some rumors have it as big as 4.7" or as low as 4.3". The Verizon HQ rumor had the size of the display at 4", but we're pretty sure that a Super AMOLED HD screen can't be that small because of the pixel density.
- A physical QWERTY keyboard - this was one of the more interesting rumors, which came from a Twitter poet with inside ties to Verizon. The claim is that "one" of the Primes will have a QWERTY keyboard, this could very well be true, and it also does point to the Prime not being a full exclusive on Verizon, but a timed exclusive.
- The Prime will dock with a tablet - this is a weird rumor. The teaser video of the Prime clearly shows dock connector pins on the side of the phone and it also shows a tablet on top of the phone. Some have jumped on this to claim that the Prime will dock with a tablet. We're more of the mind that the image is more of a reference to Ice Cream Sandwich bridging the gap between Android phones and tablets, but anything is possible.
- Facial detection unlock - another part of the app list leak was an app called FaceLock, which seems to point to a way to unlock your phone using facial recognition rather than a password or gesture.
- Chrome browser - there have been rumors floating around the Chromium boards that a full version of Chrome would be replacing the stock Android browser, and that it may even happen as soon as Ice Cream Sandwich. We're not going to hold our breath for this one though. It would be great, but there's very little to go on right now.
1. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
other than the 1.5 GHz dual-core TI OMAP 4460 SoC-.. i dont see anything breath taking.. A Lindsey back to rehab creates more buzz than this phone...
5. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2670; Member since: 26 May 2011)
a full 720p HD screen on a phone doesn't excite you at all?
15. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Why should it? It'll just be another supposedly high end phone that won't really amount to much compared to the iPhone 5 especially with all the problems the Nexus S had.
18. twenti7 (Posts: 152; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
I love how iSheep like to forget about all the problems that iPhones have has. Most notably the "death grip" on the iPhone 5, making it useless as a phone depending on how you use it.
30. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well the death grip sold millions and how did your pretty phone sold?.... all phones have problems but not like the android phones. the also dominate in complaints... google it.. jejejeje
53. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
lol so I guess because the iPhone sold millions its the best??? thats how you measure success? ok, using your "success scale" if u have a look at the stats you will notice that Android handsets outsell apple worldwide. Android market share is greater than iOS. But that is not the reason I bought my "pretty little" nexus. Its cuz I got sick of not being able to view the flash vids my friends would post on fb. Not being able to watch the Daily Show Colbert report, not being able to bluetooth/bumb music.... the list is too long, in short... ur dum
64. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
listen buddy android works for you..not for me... why am I dumb.. can u androids respect people that like OS different than android.. it seems that you are dumb one.. so now your friends like you because u can view videos.. wow almost drew a tear...
130. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
gallito uses an androidphone, not an iphone. dont let him fool you. he doesnt own any iphones at all.
132. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
jajajjaa ..wow see how in a few weeks u went from everyone thinking that you were smart ..and it took me to flush that out of you, and all of your latest comments has truly shown who you really are... dont believe me.. go back a month and you used to make sense.. now...
"gallito uses an androidphone, not an iphone. dont let him fool you. he doesnt own any iphones at all."....
and for the record.. I only use my phone for calling i use my ipad2 for all may data.. .. yep dont be fooled by remixfa... aka fraud
141. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
really gallito.. whats your current smartphone? :) I use an SGS and I have an LG G-Slate. You act like a huge apple fanboy... and no, normally you make zero sense or points... and u use an android phone all day.
sounds like your just here to stir up the boards.
145. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
and gallito, I havent changed. In the last weeks you have gone further and further over to hugging Miz and Taco and a full fledged apple troll. Noone has changed here except you. lol.
you realize you are trolling on an android thread? Your only purpose here is to troll and incite comments. Even taco doesnt normally do that. That puts you right beside Miz and his spandex play toys.
146. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Taco already tried this whole "lets try to make remix look like a liar" bit. its been used. it didnt work for him, and its not working for you. Your just making yourself look loonier.
get a new shtick.
189. KRONeage (Posts: 54; Member since: 17 Apr 2011)
There's one thing all you Apple Religious Right Zealots always forget. iPhone quit being new in 2007 and they have been playing catch up ever since to Android. Over 20 of the new features offered in iOS 5 have been taken from Android and they still haven't caught up to it in many ways even in Beta.
Still no true Widgetsssss (Plural). You have a Widget screen with one Widget that also goes into suspended mode when not being used. If it's not "Live", you're always playing catch up (lagging behind). It's not even a Widget then (it's an App). It's no different than their cheap excuse for MultiTasking that iOS can't run, because it wasn't build into the kernel, like on Android.
I like to rag on all you iDiots for iOS not having FLASH support. Which still isn't dead, nor will it be anytime soon. All it needed was hardware acceleration (which it got) and I've been using it since it first came on Android. Video sites are even offering HTML5 alternative, but yet traffic mapping has shown that those that can view FLASH pick it over HTML5.
Hope you're happy seeing all those blank spaces where it doesn't load on iOS. I also hope you get that Apple is telling you it's fine for OS-X, but iOS users can't use it. But you iFools are the kind of people that would be happier living in the former Soviet Union under an iCommunist Dictatorship anyway!
#1 Choice is very lacking in Apple's iOS devices. It's kind of like Steve Jobs's Mao Suit wardrobe and too lazy to shave attitude. Just because NeXT computer didn't get it's FLASH port in time to get Steve the school deals, he's had a hard on against FLASH, besides wanting to keep Quicktime Framework as the only hot plugable runtime available. That's with an even worse security record than..... FLASH!!! haha.....
It's therefore Prime time for Nexus to again lead the way being the first mobile device with FLASH 11 loaded. That's w/ full P2P, 3D Molehill API Acceleration, that has been shown to be far better than WebGL (Apple's choosing) and like FLASH itself, still running faster and better than any non-standard HTML5 video or game application on the web. Yeah FLASH 11 is more than alive and will still PWN online games, now even more so!!!
61. firebo14 (Posts: 77; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It was sold alot because of high ads and the common people follow, there are alot.
It is certainly not the best
187. ikkuh (Posts: 34; Member since: 22 May 2011)
uuuhhh...even that isn't true.
there at least 10 phones that sold better in history.
nr 1 is still the Nokia 1100 (250 million)
226. ovo2011 (unregistered)
The razr sold the best does that mean its the best no.... and more android device where sold then ios device so by ur scale its the best os....... dang macfag troll
191. OB (unregistered)
Iphones sell because morons buy into whatever is popular and what the person beside them buys.. yeah iphone was great.. in 08.. there's nothing amazing or jaw dropping about the crappy 4 other than the retina display and omg new software on the 5.. and practically every issue on a droid can be fixed consumers just dont want to bother trying and I'm a tech. The best carrier around which I'll keep unanomous but Iphones have multiple issues aswell.
209. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
more sales does not mean better,,,just means more popular...
42. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Oh WOW, ONE problem compared to the numerous problems main Android phones have. And big deal, if you kept your iphone in a case, like anyone should with a smartphone, it never happened.
51. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
How would you know MIz? You never had an iphone 4. Or the case for one.
96. Madden (unregistered)
No Miz....sorry....but cases are for pusssiesss only....LmFao!!!!
103. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
And Madden NFL is the crappiest football game in history.
172. Adfhhfgj (unregistered)
Will seeing that the iPhone 5 hasn't come out yet, idk how you would know it has "death grip" issues.
If you're going dis a product please know what you're talking about. -___-
55. readingthissh1t (Posts: 303; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
jesus kid. your such a n00b @ life. troll somewhere else.
70. PeterIfromsweden (Posts: 1230; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
You're wrong there.
The Nexus Prime is another high end phone that wont really be anything exiting compared to Wave 3 ; )
74. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
And what features does the wave processes that will make it worth having
76. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bada.. duh. peter is like taco.. just replace an apple logo for a bada one on anything and its the best thing ever.. lol.
165. UltraElectroMagneticPOP (Posts: 49; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
@PeterIfromsweden I just love how dedicated you are to bada. It's not really the annoying fanboy type. Just a really dedicated fanboy. LOL
212. roldefol (Posts: 2860; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
We love you when you're endlessly pushing bada, Peter, but when you start comparing hardware you just sound ignorant.
244. thekai12 (Posts: 25; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
i just hate that you come trolling about your wave 3 do that in the wave 3 review section please and i dont hate the wave 3 so dont thumb me down
106. readingthissh1t (Posts: 303; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
sigh* you have your head so far up Apple's ass that its quite amazing. Apple is magical, they can create iSlaves that live Apple. To them, Apple is the alpha and the omega. Why cant you see that Android is better spec wise and design wise?(widgetss and lwp)
The iPhone 5 will play catch up with current *High end android devices. I love the Android operating system and I love the *High end handsets that run on Android, but I'm not reluctant to point out Android's flaws. The only reason I haven't yet is you. personally I think your a fat f**k that lives in the basement. Nexus prime will kill iPhone 5, not in sales(iPhone is not possible to beat in sales)but feature wise.
202. narley (Posts: 357; Member since: 14 May 2009)
theres no such thing as an iphone5... shtttuuuupid.
233. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
i own a nexus s. what problems you shmuck
20. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the only thing exciting on the phone to me is ICS and the screen. 1.5ghz sounds nice but what does that actually do for performance/battery drain. Is it actually faster than a 1.2ghz exynos at that speed.. the same.. or still less?
if it has better than a 5mpx camera that would help. on a "reference device" it should have at least 8mpx which is what most are launching with.. if not push it to 10-12mpx. or... even better.. come with a professional quality iris instead of that little pinhole they use for cell phones.
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
need more than that to excite me for the Prime...
32. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
then what excites you in the iPhone 5? the fact that it uses a feature phone OS, or that it won't hold calls and drop them?
35. E.N. (Posts: 2294; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
The death grip might be a problem, but I'm really digging the design of the iPhone 5 though.
39. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
meh, it's the same design as the iP4, so it's basically a brick.
50. E.N. (Posts: 2294; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Wow, I was being sarcastic. We don't know anything about the iPhone 5.
37. biggles (Posts: 212; Member since: 15 Oct 2009)
Hard to imagine an Apple fan can't get excited over a larger display altogether with a higher resolution than anything called an iPhone. I think my flip phone from 3 years ago had a bigger display than the iPhone.
54. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
if the iPhone had a 4.5" 720p screen the apple fanboys would go flippin nuts. But if its on a nexus, its not a big deal. Snap out of it iSheep try to look beyond the fad.
66. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
why bother dude, u wont believe and dispute everything i say.. dont ask what you are not ready to listen...
71. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
You say the prime does not excite you with its spec so how does the new iphone excite you cause from the rumors it will only be catching up with the android devices..ie bigger screen,dual core,8mp camera etc
77. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
gallito, you dont even own an iphone.. lol. your the worst kind of isheep.. a wannabe isheep... lol
81. Tmachaveli (Posts: 425; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
amen to that this man got a ipad and now he is king fruit when u use to have a droid if your droid was so bad why didn't u just get another one.??
108. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Tmachaveli ... I gave Android a chance.. I think that i have all the right to buy the product that I pleased and give my support to whatever product i want... i never ask to support Apple .. never... i only defend the product I support... and prove android idiots... that they are more phoney than apple as u guys dont respect people that dont like Android.. ask peterfromsweden...
118. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i respect peter a hell of a lot more than i respect iDiots. As much of a crack addict as he is about BADA at least hes not a trolling dumbass.. lol
133. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
76. remixfa posted on yesterday, 07:17 3
bada.. duh. peter is like taco.. just replace an apple logo for a bada one on anything and its the best thing ever.. lol.
right.. you are not only a fraud.. but a freakin lier...
142. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
how does one contradict the other? Mind explaining that?
149. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well you say you respect peter when on the bada argument you never gave us proofs. and on this article you made fun of him... it doesnt seem like you respect me... dude.. grow up and realized the fraud you are...
154. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
first off, poking fun at peter because he never misses an opportunity to pimp bada and not liking the guy are 2 different things. If you go back on the boards there were multiple occasions where I even said I prefer peter's bada pimping over anything taco.. any day of the week.
And if I didnt respect you at least somewhat, we wouldnt be playing wordfeud on the side.. lol.
You however do say some nutty things and do things to incite a flame war.. which is the exact reason you in an android thread posting like crazy trying to get attention. It doesnt take 30 comments to say you are more interested in the iphone5 and whatever specs it may or may not have over the Nexus Prime. Even Taco doesnt do that anymore. Instead of pointing fingers, look in the mirror.
107. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
i do have the ipad2 and is flawless compare to the Droid X.. so that makes me the best kind of Isheep. i have had both.. ...ahh made you look dumb.... told you.. i can smell a phoney...
68. Eingild (Posts: 203; Member since: 19 Apr 2011)
Then why the f**k are you loitering on this article. If the nexus prime is not so much of a breath-taker for you then go somewhere else. Sheesh
150. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is very simple... i can comment in any article I pleased.. just like the always popular Apple articles full of haters.. dont like it.. go to the nickjr website.. is all love over there...
69. iphoneisoldz (unregistered)
Iphone looks sleek but its an outdated piece of junk. If you hold it without a special case you lose service lol You can't even carry a spare battery something so simple that Apple doesn't allow. The navigation that comes with android alone destroys the iphone, iphone uses an outdated navigation system. Iphone is for simple minded lemmings.
151. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
dude is a year and a half old phone 4... wow... the ignorance on people
155. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
so is my galaxyS1, but hey it still does more than an iphone4 and they run on the same hardware. :)
160. pandamaja (unregistered)
That's because its not an iphone. Here are some facts about you:
There is nothing in this world that could make you use something besides iOS.
There is nothing in this world that would make you admit that iOS has been playing catch up to Android since at least 4.0, feature wise.
In your eyes, the iphone is the pinnacle of man. Everything else is pointless.
You're terrible at spelling. Because of your rampant use of 'u' instead of 'you' I can only assume you're, in fact, a 14 year old girl.
Who do you expect to convince here? Simpleton troll is simple.