Microsoft knew its Kin phones sucked before it released them (and it still did!)
A video that got in the hands of Wired UK, named Touch Usability Study Pink #26, testers vary in their comments describing the experience from “a little annoying” to “very slow” and downright “frustrating.”
We think the following quotes from the video below speak better than any other comments we can add, so just take a look:
- “I can imagine my daughter would give this back very quickly.”
- “Camera is useless for anything spontaneous”
- “This phone would have gone back if I paid for it”
- “Coming to a touch phone with this is kind of a turn off”
- “The whole experience was really stressful on my fingers”
And if we were to look for the most positive comment out of all, that would be one tester’s euphemism about there being “lots of room to improve.”
The Kin One and Two were released in May 2010 exclusively for Verizon Wireless, and we can only feel sorry for those who purchased them with a two-year contract.
But now that we have this leaked testers’ reports we can only wonder: if Microsoft knew just how bad the two Kin phones were, why did it release them? And we can’t help but wonder whether despite testers’ warnings the company is still going by that same stubborn token nowadays. We sincerely hope not.
source: Wired via TechCrunch
1. tigermcm posted on 20 Nov 2012, 02:48 2 2
Darn it MS this is what is making everyone skeptical about WP. You messed up releasing this mess right in the middle of the transition from WM to WP smh
15. Syksyd posted on 20 Nov 2012, 12:46 0 0
I worked at VZW when these pieces of Crap came out...VZW would show us videos of reps from other states saying how they love these phones and what they could do....I couldnt stop laughing...These were the biggest piece of S@!T ever to come out,,,LMAO
2. blackspot posted on 20 Nov 2012, 02:50 1 1
“Camera is useless for anything spontaneous”, Lol! That's like, almost everything.
3. darac posted on 20 Nov 2012, 03:20 6 7
Biggest product flop in history.
Close second is the WP 7.
7. OHaZZaR posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:03 2 2
LOL, although the iPhone 5 did sell pretty well, it is by a short margin the least intuitive iPhone ever released, with the 3gs a close second. I found the iPhone 4 to die for at the time of it's release and the iPhone 4S with Siri pretty decent. At the time.
9. darac posted on 20 Nov 2012, 07:17 2 0
I'd say it's in the running for third place, lol.
But time will tell about that.
I have to add that on tablets and hybrids W8 does look pretty great
8. SemperFiV12 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:13 3 0
Well it was demoted to a feature phone and was used in my family... Might be a bad smartphone, but it served as the best damn feature phone out there! Was not upset with our Kin.
12. roldefol posted on 20 Nov 2012, 09:17 1 0
That was where MS/Verizon went wrong. They lumped the Kins in with their smartphones, including the mandatory $30 data plan. How could anyone look at the fine Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Incredible...and then choose a Kin Two? It should have been a "multimedia phone" with $10 data plan from day one.
11. megabok (banned) posted on 20 Nov 2012, 07:59 1 0
They were on marijuana when they made this...
13. Roomaku posted on 20 Nov 2012, 09:36 1 0
I saw a kid with a 'kin" the other day, I wanted to go over and show him the Nokia Asha 311 it's dirt cheap and it does sooooo much more!
14. downphoenix posted on 20 Nov 2012, 12:41 0 0
The Kin wasn't THAT bad, at least until you considered the $30 data plan requirement it had, which lumped it with smartphones, and thus made it look pretty crappy compared to them. If it was properly lumped with feature phones from the start, it might have had a chance.
16. MC1123 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 18:18 0 0
microsoft need to re-release this phones but with better specs, better everything!!! they look good but it is said to be horrible...so microsoft need to make surface phone!!