Here are 6 great iPhone SE alternatives (but none are as compact)
1. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Those alternatives all destroy iPhone SE.
Especially Galaxy S6 and Xperia Z5 Compact.
4. TimePass (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Truth is iphone SE is best compact smartphone ever.
13. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
iPhone SE is best iOS compact smartphone ever.
But that isn't a necessity with Android OEMs. If Samsung wanted a 4-inch beast, it can make one.
But we Droiders, we love large screens - 5" to say the least!
24. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Yes, Droiders love big large screen phones. 12.7cm to say the very least!
Heck, I personally love phablets.
I rock a 5.9" LG G Pro 2!!!
23. Wiencon (Posts: 1870; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
"But we Droiders, we love large screens - 5" to say the least!"
So why the hell are you here if you all, at least you say so, don't give a squat about this phone and any smaller phones
27. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
I came here to see the 6 alternatives which I read on this article's title.
Who says I do not give a squat about small phones?
I use a 3.5" phone as a back-up, and I am currently typing this comment with the 3.5" stuff!
60. Rocket (Posts: 277; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Your are right after owning the opo (5.5") i upgraded to the s7 but felt so small in my hands and had to exchanged for the beast note 5 :)
So yes most of ( us) android users love phones with big screens.
94. Frank_Underwood (Posts: 31; Member since: 22 Mar 2016)
"we love large screens"- Seriously, dude? Don't generalize, please! You, in no way, represent the entire Android community, for the love of god!
99. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
I'm well talking about the Android Community.
The majority of Android users like Phablets.
33. submar (Posts: 462; Member since: 19 Sep 2014)
iPhone isn't a compact phone but with a compact screen size.
39. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
iPhone SE features a 4-inch screen in a body that can fit in a 4.7-inch one!
57. TimePass (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
@adreno, please so me a device with 4.7 inch Droid phone with similar body of iphone SE.
61. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Galaxy Alpha is only slightly bigger than iPhone SE, but packs a significantly bigger display.
LG G3 is even more compact that iPhone 6S Plus, despite both featuring the same 5.5" screen!
97. TimePass (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Are you mad, here we spoke only about iPhone SE, but you compare G3 with 6S.
Please show me device with smaller dimensions then iPhone SE.
100. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
I did not say smaller dimensions than iPhone SE. I said the iPhone SE's dimensions could pack a 4.7" screen, instead of just 4"!
LG G2 Mini has a 4.7" screen in 129 x 66 dimension.
iPhone SE with 4" has a meh 123 x 58 dimension.
Can you see that G2 mini has similar dimensions to the iPhone SE, despite packing 2cm more screen?
If G2 mini was a 4.3", then it would be way smaller than 4" iPhone SE!
95. Frank_Underwood (Posts: 31; Member since: 22 Mar 2016)
So, what's the device with iPhone SE's dimensions with a 4.7 inch screen? All your comments *SCREAMS* !
96. Frank_Underwood (Posts: 31; Member since: 22 Mar 2016)
So, what's the device with iPhone SE's dimensions with a 4.7 inch screen? All your comments *SCREAMS* Fanboyism.
101. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
LG G2 Mini.
And 4" Galaxy Ace 4 is more compact than 4" iPhone SE.
Fanboyism? More bashing and like name-calling.
107. TimePass (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Iphone SE is the only compact device with flagship spec and finger print sensor.
You can't compare this with other basic device which don't have finger print sensor.
6. aesthetics (Posts: 128; Member since: 02 Oct 2014)
These 5"+ phones arent even alternatives....except for z5 compact and Alpha... SE is better than both to be honest..but also more expensive
9. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
They are all alternatives as far as one-hand usability goes, because they feature a Mini View mode which shinks the display downwards to 3.7"
But as far as portability goes, yeah they aren't alternatives.
25. Wiencon (Posts: 1870; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
Do those phone shrink down in pocket when I enable this mini view?
29. nodes (Posts: 725; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
it will once it gets the update to Android N.
37. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
I said they feature a Mini View mode which shrinks the DISPLAY... Not the phone.
Ok, let me say: The UI is srinked down to 3.7" for one-hand operations.
You get it, yet?
62. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
15. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (limited) (Posts: 1133; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
If you're going to judge solely on CPU and GPU performance then Mi5 is the only one that can stand up. The rest are simply a years old performance and I don't see a reason they can convinced the buyer over the iPhone se
19. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
"I can't see a reason they can convice the bhyer over the iphone se"
You mean the buyer who is a fan of Apple or who is already invested in the iOS ecosystem.
I too can't see a reason why iPhone SE can convince an Android buyer over those 6 alternatives.
71. Mercedes-Benz (banned) (Posts: 403; Member since: 18 Jan 2015)
Why not when the SE is smoother , has better performance and camera ?
81. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Huh? "the SE is smoother, has better performance and camera"
Your opinion is 100% subjective.
One man's food can be another man's poison.
21. Frank_Underwood (Posts: 31; Member since: 22 Mar 2016)
I was using a S6 for the past 6 months (now, Nexus 6P) and trust me when I say this, S6 is not so smooth after all. Multi-tasking is absolutely painful. The one truly great thing about S6 is the camera - pure awesomeness. But other features, not so much.
93. Frank_Underwood (Posts: 31; Member since: 22 Mar 2016)
Unfortunately, I didn't get the update and I don't think the update is available in my region even now. But I saw almost all the videos reviews about marshmallow on S6. And yes, the improvement was clearly visible. But the point is, a nexus 5X with much lesser RAM will kick S6 with comparatively more RAM, any day of the week. Poor ram management. Don't mistake, I like TouchWiz. And I like Samsung devices. But memory management is not at on par with other flagship devices, say, a Nexus. When u pay a premium price for a device, there shouldn't be any exucuses for this kinda issues. Period.
47. AppleVersusAndroid (unregistered)
The only issue is that there isn't a comparable alternative. The only comparison is price in the case of these devices because they are all significantly larger and the SE aims to please those that thought the iPhone 5/5S were optimal. Therefore if the Note 5 was priced at 400 dollars, this article would consider it an alternative, but would someone looking for an SE want a larger phone such as the Note 5 instead of the smaller 4 inches?
58. saif2711 (Posts: 69; Member since: 22 Feb 2016)
their year old flagships are being compared with the mini version of the iphone..lolol
65. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
What they are comparing iPhone SE with the Galaxy S6 is the actual retail price, not the performance or features.
67. saif2711 (Posts: 69; Member since: 22 Feb 2016)
Next year it'll be iphone se with the s7...why their prices fall with each passing day?
82. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
There is fierce competition in the Android market.
With many Android OEMs offering similar hardware and specs, they only way to survive in sales is to offer a cheaper price.
70. Mercedes-Benz (banned) (Posts: 403; Member since: 18 Jan 2015)
The only one on the list that destroy it is the mi5 , go take your hatred somewhere else
83. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
It's not about raw specs alone.
Mi5's features are way inferior to the Galaxy S6.
And no, I wasn't hating.
2. Planterz (Posts: 2070; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
It's unfortunate that there's no real Android alternative. The Sony Xperia 5C costs too damn much for what you get. The Xoeria 3C is really the best option. The hardware might be a bit dated, but you can be assured that there's nothing this phone can't do that you'd want or expect it to for at least a few years or until the battery craps out on you.
75. sgodsell (Posts: 3627; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The Xperia Z5 compact has LTE cat 6 (300mbps) whereas the iPhone SE has cat 4 (150 Mbps). The Z5 comes with a 23 mp rear camera and a 5 mp front facing camera. The iPhone SE comes with a 12 mp rear camera and a 1.2 mp front facing camera. Not to mention the Z5 comes standard with 32 gb of expandable storage, and iphone SE comes with 16 gb of non expandable storage. If you want more storage then you have to pay Apple an additional $100. So now the iPhone SE is a lot more. In Europe the iPhone SE starts at 499 for only 16 gb. But the best part is the Z5 comes with a HD display, the iPhone SE has a tiny NON HD display. I wouldn't waste my time or money on the iPhone SE.
85. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
I too wil not waste money on iPhone SE. I can only buy it for a loved one, but I will buy it for myself. It's just not worth the asking price.
86. Planterz (Posts: 2070; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I can't tell if you're arguing or agreeing with me. I'm absolutely not advocating the iPhone SE. I'm saying that the Z3c is a better choice than the Z5c, because it's available for a significantly lower cost and apart from the fingerprint scanner (not available in the US), the Z5c offers no real advantage over the Z3c
111. NFSHesham (Posts: 269; Member since: 04 Feb 2014)
500 $ will get you the 64 GB not the 16
The 16 is for 400
106. ColinW (Posts: 148; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
All iPhones you can buy today cost far too much for what you get.
5. nodes (Posts: 725; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
that's what you call alternatives?
you gotta be kidding..
8. sumpil (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Feb 2016)
Every time i look at the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact i think it was made from melted crayons that have hardened. especially the coral colour.
10. xperiaZlover (Posts: 202; Member since: 15 Nov 2015)
Z5/Z3 compact are the best Android alternatives to iphone SE.
Since it has on-screen navigation bars the usable screen would be similar to iphoneSE.
I don't think a phone with screen less than Z compact is suitable. Since on-screen navigation bars eat up a considetable large portion of the display.
4 inch Sony high-end would only have 3.5 inches of usable screen.
A Samsung 4 inch high-end device is okay since it has physical buttons.
Best sweat spot is 4.5 inch.
12. Jimrod (Posts: 1358; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
"Samsung Pay that works at many more places than Apple Pay" Really? You mean America and Korea because I sure as s**t can't use it in Europe.
36. ibend (Posts: 4579; Member since: 30 Sep 2014)
did apple pay work in EU? no...
it only work in UK, also u can use samsung pay on UK
42. Jimrod (Posts: 1358; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
Yes Apple Pay works for me anywhere in Europe with a contactless terminal, Samsung pay does not work in the UK. Pretty straightforward really.
66. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Samsung Pay does not work in the UK? Then why is Samsung going to launch it where it doesn't work?
69. Jimrod (Posts: 1358; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
SMFH. Do you really need me to explain something you've just explained perfectly?
Samsung Pay does NOT WORK in the UK, go into a shop now and try it. Does it work? No.
Samsung is GOING TO LAUNCH it. So right now, and for the last year or so many of us have happily been using Apple Pay but have not been able to use Samsung Pay. We may be able to use it one day, after it's launched, but right now and up until this point we can't so it DOES NOT WORK.