Facebook for Android receives the flat design treatment and an interface overhaul
But the looks of the app are not the only thing that received an overhaul - the user interface also saw some drastic changes. Up until now, users could only swipe between the leftmost menu, the news feed, and the Facebook chat – if they wanted to view their notifications or friend requests, they had to tap the corresponding button on the news feed. Well, these buttons are gone.
Now, Facebook enthusiasts can swipe left or right between 5 different tabs - their news feed, friend requests, messages, notifications, and the Facebook menu, which can be found furthest to the right. Fortunately, the Facebook chat window has been kept unchanged, but you can't access it via swipe, you have to tap the top right button instead.
Furthermore, the buttons that allowed you to post, publish a photo, or check in while in your news feed are also gone. Well, not gone, but hidden, and if you want them to appear, you have to swipe down.
Last, but definitely not least, come some improvements under the hood, which enhance the reliability and the overall speed of the app. Indeed, we noticed a very distinct difference, as Facebook for Android now loads faster and does not lag when you scroll down faster than usual.
Be advised that you might not receive this update right away, as it has only recently started to roll out. Nevertheless, if you are eager to experience Facebook's new look, you can manually update the app.
Download: Facebook (Android | iOS)
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2586; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Nice. All of sudden everybody is moving to flat designs.
32. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 702; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
already using this on my qmobile a900 ....
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1375; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Finally. That old one looked so dated.
3. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nice. Clean flat user interface is always a welcome.
4. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1139; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
"inspired by windows phone 8 flat designs" neat.
13. mishooo111 (Posts: 30; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
ok, lets be honest.
it was inspired by ios7
17. boosook (Posts: 979; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Oh, come on... ios7 came two years after windows phone. And Android was alreay flat too, while iOS was still heavily based on skeumorphism, and still proud of it. Are you trolling or are you serious?
33. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1139; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
what are you talking about? this new fb app for android looks a bit more like the one used in windowsphone8
5. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1264; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Well they will remove the messaging feature. I still won't download the messenger app.
6. alipashang77 (Posts: 12; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
I'm part of the beta testers, and have been using this version for more than 2 weeks, and it's really faster than the previous versions... and quite easier to use!
38. tankifycation (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
I'm also part of the beta testers, I was so used to the flat design that it slipped my mind that others didn't have the same design.
7. majp89 (Posts: 98; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
I see that in the screenshots for Facebook that it has the new UI look but there is no update available and the UI on my phone still looks like the crappy old one.
30. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
If you are using version 8 or 9, go to your device's settings>app manager>facebook.
Force stop the app>clear cache>clear data.
Now relogin into facebook to see if you have newer UI, or wait for some more time
8. andhraking17 (Posts: 36; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
this new look has been in beta for over more than 6 months....
9. Vanster (Posts: 124; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
haha everyone blame windows 8, now everyone inspired by It.
15. pookiewood (Posts: 582; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
More like everyone HATES Windows Phone and Metro design, now everyone is inspired by it. Carry on Devs!
26. NokiaFTW (Posts: 1978; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
No one hates the metro UI. Its being imitated by almost everyone. Sure, some, including myself, were originally taken aback by the new UI and the difference between Win8 & Win7. But gradually, I've started to like it and love the metro UI on my laptop now.
34. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1139; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
i for one hated it at first. but the only negative feedback for now is that i want to see the applist in grid view in wp8.
10. isprobi (Posts: 197; Member since: 30 May 2011)
Why is everybody all of a sudden going flat? Windows Phone seemed to have done it first to at best a luke warm reception. Now every app developer and Android want to copy a loser? If I could get a BlackBerry Z30 for AT&T LTE I would probably go back. Flat is just plain boring! It is like dropping Windows 7 and going back to MS-DOS.
11. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
It looks like more Windows Phone rather than iOS7.
I dont care who came first with flats but when I see a flat design I always remember WP.
16. pookiewood (Posts: 582; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Don't forget Zune! MS has been in the flat UI game for years! Funny that people thought it was ugly but it was only a matter of time before most devs realized how clean it looks.
19. jaabubby (Posts: 36; Member since: 16 Jan 2010)
What happened to the sorting feature by Most Recent? All of my posts are now out of order.
20. jaabubby (Posts: 36; Member since: 16 Jan 2010)
Never mind, the feature is now embedded in the setting menu for Android. A wonderful spot for it. Not!
21. 0kax0el0 (Posts: 40; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
Curious enough, I'm supposedly into the beta program, but just recived this UI update last week, my brother who isn't in the beta program has had this for at least a month...
23. Liveitup (Posts: 1174; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
WP introduced Flat design in mobile software now everyone is going Flat.
28. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 710; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
But too bad, most ordinary people give credits to Apple
29. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Metro design and flat design is not the same
31. Dude2014 (Posts: 135; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
I've just updated my Facebook app and I notice nothing's changed in UI. WTF is wrong with me?
36. cjcelo (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Apr 2014)
Im already using New ui on my xperia z,
Link here img ur.com/ncrKtMS
37. garyII (Posts: 160; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
a bit resemblance the twitter desktop version, but i dont care about it, as long as it won't lag and we can scroll very fast as soon as we jump into the apps, as stated in the article...