Crazy new patent wars infographic helps you follow the action
Looking at the wheel o’ litigation, there are several layers of information on it. The outer gray circle is companies that have shared or sold patents to other companies – think of it like arms deals: those companies are transferring patents to serve either as a deterrent, or in retaliation. Following the arrows in that outer ring shows that Google has acquired the most patents the last few years, which is no surprise because they were far behind the other tech companies in “ammunition” when the patent war began.
Looking over the graph it's clear that Apple and Microsoft have been the main instigators of the patent wars. Kodak also appears to be a major player but most of their lawsuits just popped up recently, most likely in a bid to avoid bankruptcy (or convince someone to buy their 1,000 or so patents).
If you want a better grasp on who is suing whom, take a closer look at the image above.
source: visual.ly via mobilesyrup
1. Commentator (Posts: 2399; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
What's Google suing HTC over?
EDIT: Never mind, I stupidly forgot to read the glossary, and since I can't you, know, just DELETE comments, I guess I have to write something else...
3. Commentator (Posts: 2399; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
No, I thought Google was suing HTC, but they're selling them patents instead. Again, I just didn't read the glossary, or even the article, but jumped straight to the graph.
7. tedkord (Posts: 4727; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It looks like that big computer screen at the end of war games, when Joshua plays out all the thermonuclear war scenarios.
10. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
+1 Thats exactly what I thought when I saw it.
6. itiswhatitis (Posts: 422; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
FOXCONN is the only non-software company to get sued!!
8. Sniggly (Posts: 6996; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Around and around the wheel goes, where it stops, nobody knows!
This is amazing. Worthy of an epic comic book series.
9. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
It looks like a screen from the classic video game Missile Command. lol
11. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Google isn't suing anyone? Am I reading this right?
13. 14545 (Posts: 1106; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Yep, and notice which company has all the little sue dots? Hint, it's a rotten fruit.
15. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
We'll see if that trend continues now that they officially have all of Moto's patents.
12. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1274; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I totally gave up on reading it... Way too crazy now these days...