Apple iPhone takes the top spot in Japan last year for the first time ever
exceeded 50% for the first time. Chinese manufacturer Huawei saw its market share triple. Previously, it was hard for a foreign handset to crack the market. But with carriers like KDDI and Softbank heavily spending to promote the Apple iPhone 5, local manufacturers like Sharp and Fujitsu each had to accept a reduced 14% of the market.
The Japanese market used to consist of advanced featurephones running carrier designed OS or a proprietary OS designed by the handset manufacturer. But with the popularity of Android, foreign names like Samsung, LG, Huawei and ZTE have an advantage in producing Android flavored models that the Japanese firms don't have (outside of Sony, which is more of a global player). But for 2012, it was iOS, specifically the Apple iPhone, that ended Sharp's six consecutive years on top of the Japanese smartphone market.
source: CounterpointResearch via AppleInsider
2. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
I was just going to ask the same thing, pretty surprised here. Congrats to apple, I would just assume that sony/samsung/huawei would be dominating.
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
Most iPhone users in Japan are Nintendo fans :)
4. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8594; Member since: 14 May 2012)
There is and always will be a soft spot for Nintendo in my heart. My N64 still looks brand new after 16 years.
5. wendygarett (unregistered)
I love Nintendo because of pokemon :p
but nice to see you have an antique from them :)
8. GeekMovement (Posts: 1505; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
N64 is antique? I still play Super Nintendo with the classic Super Mario World and the original Donkey Kong Countries.
But aside from that note, I am one of the "odd" ones that is a nintendo fan, but not an iPhone user.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8594; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Your name and avatar leads me to believe you're ready for the iPhone 20.
10. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I'm always ready whatever Apple will release their product XD
11. bachelorrn0121 (Posts: 57; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
If apple release is**t and they said it is most nutritious food you will eat it?
12. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
No way I will eat that kind of fruit.... XD
13. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
But most other phones in Japan are miles ahead of the iPhone5! Take Sharp Aquos phones for example, they're all waterproof. What's happening Japs?