Android-based Acer Liquid Z5 with Windows Phone-like launcher released in Europe and Asia
Earlier this month, Acer unveiled its latest affordable Android smartphone, the Liquid Z5, saying that it would launch it “in the coming weeks.” Well, the Z5 is now available in some European markets, as well as in Taiwan (Acer’s home country).
In our CES hands-on with the Acer Liquid Z5 we showed you that, just like the older Liquid Z3, the handset featured Quick Modes - a simple launcher (aimed at smartphone novices) that makes Android look a lot like Windows Phone 8. As ePrice reports, Acer is actually commercializing the Z5 with this WP-like launcher among its main features in Taiwan. It remains to be seen if Microsoft will have anything to say about this apparent design rip-off.
Taiwan aside, we’re seeing the Liquid Z5 on sale in the UK, France, Italy and the Netherlands. Amazon France seems to have the best price: $229 (€169). The Z5 is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, sporting a 5-inch display with 480 x 854 pixels, and further offering: a multi-purpose Acer Rapid button on the back, 5MP camera, dual-core 1.3GHz MediaTek processor, 512MB of RAM, 4GB of internal memory, MicroSD card support (up to 64GB), and a 2,000 mAh battery.
sources: ePrice (translated), Amazon France
1. elitewolverine (Posts: 1281; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Probably not much, acer is a huge $ for MS. Plus every sale of droid brings in profits. If anything MS probably approves so that when Acer if ever releases a win8 phone people wont be shocked by the 'design switch'
18. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
I guess you missed that huge cold sore clearly on her lip.
3. roscuthiii (Posts: 1785; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I have no idea what this article was about... nor will I probably ever. The picture just has this gravitational pull.
4. hurrycanger (Posts: 878; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Yeah, man. And look at the all beautiful colors of her uniform...
6. dickwyn (Posts: 580; Member since: 07 May 2012)
PA Typo: 'In our CES hands-on with the "Asus" Liquid Z5 we showed you that, just like the older Liquid Z3, the handset' its Acer not Asus
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7589; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Another typo is screen resolution - qHD = 540x960 not 640x960. Apple is the only OEM that uses 640p on their phones.
13. sianto (Posts: 65; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Used / using sort of. It's now this akward 640x1136. Apple is always bad in industry standards. (with chargers and display resolution)
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7589; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I wouldn't say chargers since OEMs are trying to make Micro USB formatted to be used as the Lightning Cable (being reversible).
10. SandraB (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
I should say Android is the trend :)
17. Ren11 (Posts: 4; Member since: 03 Jan 2014)
Android is a trend of symbian !!! copy cats...
14. T.F.O.A (Posts: 36; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)
I rather get the girl than the phone itself. Sounds promising ;)
15. orca99 (Posts: 87; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
I'll take Moto G over this. Much cheaper, more RAM, better cpu, kitkat with better support.