14 (plus one) most anticipated gadgets of 2014
And while some companies like Samsung and HTC are announcing their flagships in the beginning of the year, it seems that the trend is to have a second device ready for the second half of the year to stay competitive. That’s why the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One (M8) are far from the only exciting device that we’ll see this year.
We have summed up the 14 most anticipated gadgets of the year, and this time around it’s not all about smartphones and tablets - the new category of wearables and smartwatches in particular is set to make a splash. Take a look at all the devices we expect to see this year and let us know which one are you most excited about in the comments below.
The OnePlus One
13.Microsoft Surface Mini
12. Motorola Moto X+1
Motorola Moto X+1 appears in a new render
11. Nokia Lumia 1020 successor (codename ‘McLaren’)
10. Nexus 8
9. Motorola Moto 360
The Moto 360 stunned us with its gorgeous circular body and design when Motorola unveiled it earlier in 2014, but the actual device is expected to launch only towards the end of the summer. It’s one of the most alluring Android Wear gadgets, and as such it is expected to take the heat from devices like the rumored iWatch.
Moto 360 Smartwatch
1. Moto 360 customization
The various watchband options include a darker metal (possibly titanium?), lighter metal (silver or chrome?), leather, and rubber.
2. Moto 360
It also looks like the case of the watch can be two different types of metal in order to match the band. This is the lighter option...
4. Moto 360
The back plate of the watch is shown here as a purple plastic, but it is possible that Motorola will give options to customize this color.
Moto 360 Smartwatch
1. Moto 360 customization
2. Moto 360
4. Moto 360
8. Sony Xperia Z3 (to be announced on September 3rd)
Leaked photos of the Sony Xperia Z3 and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
1. Sony Xperia Z3 (L) and Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
2. Sony Xperia Z3
3. Sony Xperia T
7. Apple iPad mini 3
6. Nexus X (aka Nexus 6)
5. Next-gen Apple iPad Air (event traditionally held in October)
Last year, Apple rejuvenated the iPad series with a radically sleeker device that it called the iPad Air. This year, we expect Apple to further polish it, adding a fingerprint reader, as well as a new, very powerful Apple A8 chip, and possibly, an improved camera.
Biggest iPad Air 2 leak yet shows remarkably thin design
Biggest iPad Air 2 leak yet shows remarkably thin design
4. Samsung Galaxy Alpha (already unveiled, but coming to Western markets in the beginning of September)
Samsung Galaxy Alpha hands-on images
3. Apple iWatch (to be unveiled on September 9th)
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (to be announced on September 3rd)
Read our Galaxy Note 4 round-up
1. Apple iPhone 6 (to be announced on September 9th)
Read our iPhone 6 round-up
A collection of dummy iPhone 6 images
Bonus: Xiaomi Mi4
Xiaomi Mi 4: hands-on and official press photos
1. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
iPhone in the first place? Sorry. We already saw iOS 8. Nothing to be hyped up about.
3. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 424; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
IKR? It should be the Moto 360 IMO. Apple products should be placed below the tenth spot because we know that its upgrades will be just like a small pinch of salt.
8. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1268; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I think iPhone 6 would be the first place because most general consumers will be interested to get it. However, my personal 1st will have to be the Moto 360. I am looking into getting one. I will be glad that I don't have to turn my Z2's screen on to just check the time or stupid junk mail anymore.
36. needa (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)
that does not necessarily mean it is the most anticipated. the fact that thousands upon thousands of people will be waiting outside for it does though. so i figure it should take the highest spot.
but the ipads? who cares about a tablet?
9. garlic456 (Posts: 165; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Moto 360 Smartwatch is the coolest smartwatch ever, but it's a smartwatch that only has google now, which isn't avalible on every country. And when you look for the functionality, Galaxy Gear 2 is better than it.
10. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1268; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I have to say the Gear 2 is a very nice device. However, you are locking down to only use Samsung phones if you go with a Gear device. I would like to keep my option open and free :D Nevertheless, Gear 2 is still an amazing device.
19. bfuller2006 (Posts: 24; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I don't know...I had a gear 2 for a month I took it back of the lack of functionality.
37. needa (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)
that all depends on what you want your watch to do.
44. sgodsell (Posts: 1210; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The Android wear functionality is better then the Gear, Gear 2, Gear Neo. First of all developers have to create apps for Gear devices (excluding Gear Live). Then the apps have to go on Samsung's store. With Android wear developers can inject Android wear code into their existing Android phone or tablet apps. No app is sent to the watch. Of course you can still create standalone apps for Android wear devices as well. Now as far as the Samsung Gear devices themselves have more hardware functionality then the current Android wear devices. Like IR (universal remote, camera, speaker). I have a Gear Neo as well. If the Gear Live had IR and a speaker, then there would be no need for a Gear Neo.
12. pulkit1 (Posts: 237; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
really ? you wrote this when the biggest upgrade to iPhone is right around the corner.
16. steedsofwar (Posts: 279; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
Fully agree. The moto 360 is the only smartwatch that will make me suspend my cynicism of sWatches and trial one. Just for the fashion factor and geek cred. The iWatch if open to other platforms too.
5. zuckerboy (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
ppl waiting for its design and hardware not for ios. for me nexus 6 is first
6. vincelongman (Posts: 1141; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Not 2014 or as popular, but I can't wait for Project Ara
13. AnTuTu (limited) (Posts: 804; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Note 4 should have been in the first place.
Nothing will beat the upcoming beast :)
23. remtothemax (Posts: 233; Member since: 02 May 2012)
how exactly do you measure winning and losing in this case?
54. troutsy (Posts: 257; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Winning = the phone he buys
Losing = the devices he doesn't buy
Classic "the world revolves around me" attitude.
55. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 919; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
You don't get to choose. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6408; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
What a irrelevant list. it should be like this GALAXY NOTE IV, MOTO 360, XPERIA Z3, HTC NEXUS 8, 8urface 3 mini, IPAD AIR 2, iphone 6 last.
51. AlikMalix (Posts: 402; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
That's obviously your list, nothing wrong with that. But I think they're regarding the world (you know that thing that revolves around you, kidding). But Galaxy Note 4 is in right place if you ask me, not because I want it there (I rather put iWatch in second place based on my preference and the hype it build up - only if it's true) but that's just me - not the world...
58. mrblah (Posts: 436; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
Apple should of been in all the top spots :/
2. Desmortibus (Posts: 58; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
In terms of predicted sales numbers, no doubt the Iphone 6 rightly deserves to be in the first place regardless of its actual merits...
7. Anshulonweb (Posts: 313; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
tizen is nothing more than android rip off with nothing new to offer.....i don't think anyone is looking forward to buy tizen based phone unless it is super cheap like xiaomi which again is very unlikely and almost impossible from Samsung...
14. TheGenius (Posts: 326; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Go on.. tell me how is tizen an android ripoff?
11. surethom (Posts: 256; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
I'm sorry but number 2 is Nexus 6 & number 1 is the Motorola 360
17. PhoneCritic (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Motorola 360 is number one in my opinion. It is the only smart-watch that has changed my mind about the usefulness of smart-watches due to the fact that it has a killer design that looks like a normal watch. I hope Moto executes well and not price it out of everyone's price range ( do not repeat the Xoom Fiasco against the iPad ) and that they release it already to get a jump on what will eventually be a crowed market.
22. willard12 (Posts: 778; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
I'm also looking forward to the 360. I am curious why the design changes your mind about usefulness?
25. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 339; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Probably because it's actually wearable, which is somewhat useful for a... wearable!
39. needa (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)
you can purchase it, and consider yourself buying an actual watch. that is pretty hard to do with what we have available now.
20. Canaan (Posts: 115; Member since: 25 May 2014)
I thought the Mclaren Lumia and the Surface mini were cancelled?
35. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3537; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
A smartwatch by MS should've been on the list...
26. swiekekodok (Posts: 47; Member since: 19 Jul 2014)
Phonearena is always apple fanboy,....iphone 6 is in the first place?dream on,....
27. sip1995 (Posts: 807; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Maybe they didn't refresh their contract with Samesung Scroogle....
56. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 919; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Since most of the devices won't hit the iPhone 6 first weekend sales numbers, and NONE of them will match the first quarter's sales (Note 4, included), then I would say they reported it just as it should have been.
28. TheOldOne (Posts: 86; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
the idiots from OnePlusOne got the USDEUR exchange rate wrong again!
29. refillable (Posts: 631; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
As expected, they put iPhone 6 first. I can guarantee that iPhone 6 will not bring something revolutionary. They'll only bring evolutionary upgrades. All we know is that it will run iOS 8 (Which is nothing to brag about, obviously), Still a smaller res than most androids and some more expensive prices.
30. gigaraga (Posts: 901; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
The Note 4..HARD. That should've been first. But then coming into this article as I was scrolling I knew who was going to be first, that's PA for you
31. winter_hat (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
BlackBerry Passport seems to be more anticipated than many of these. Even the haters want to see that beast in action.
32. yahia_malka (Posts: 97; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
Lumia 1020 successor. Must be in first place , second place for the note 4 , third for. Surface mini fourth for nexus 6 , fifth for iPhone 6
33. Izoe (Posts: 106; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
This is not likely at all. First should be the moto360 then maybe the iphone 6, there's little to anticipate where the ipads are concerned, nothing new. Buzz around the iwatch is basically non existent. Third should be Nexus 6 mostly because of android l and the possibility that it might have a 64bit chip. The rest I don't really care in what order they are placed
34. needa (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)
yeah so that first moto x pic is an admitted fake by the person who did it.
38. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3197; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
My eyes are set on Moto X+1/ Nexus 6 and the ipad air 2. *_*
40. jellmoo (Posts: 665; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I'm sorry to say, but you can't really argue against the iPhone 6 being the most anticipated device of 2014. Sure, it may not be for a lot of the people visiting PA, but when it comes to pure sales, it's going to take the prize by a landslide.
42. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3197; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Very well said, Sir. I don't quite get the butthurt hating over Samsung and Apple. Okay Apple's evil business practices, which I understand is eligible for hate (i hate that too), but their products are good. But why the Samsung hate?
43. pulkit1 (Posts: 237; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
short and simple answer people love underdogs and when a company become a little too big people tend bash it . Samsung has become so big that people around the world relate android to samsung and samsung alone . I think it has to do with the fear of monopoly .
50. gigaraga (Posts: 901; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I guess its because their 'fav' company isnt as successful and isnt as popular. See, Apple and Samsung are the top two companies in this industry. Failing companies such as HTC and Sony are becoming fanboy's company because they arent doing too good. In return, they bash the best-selling companies. Kindof a no-brainer
57. DnB925Art (Posts: 211; Member since: 23 May 2013)
IKR? If it wasn't for Samsung, especially since they have the $ and muscle to compete against Apple, Android wouldn't be as big as it is today. Nobody advertises as much as Samsung and it is their marketing that has helped propel it to roughly ~40% of the Android marketshare. Apple would probably still be the majority mobile OS if it wasn't for Samsung being a real competitor to them.
45. Iodine (Posts: 367; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
This is the ladder board of the most anticipated things of the year. People shouting about how iPhone has to be least anticipated gadget of the year should look at themselves and see how much they are anticipating to hate the new iPhone when it gets released.
46. AfterShock (Posts: 2799; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Bias pushed aside as far as I can..
It should be new iPhone, Note 4 then Nexus 6.
As far as phones go.
47. maulgandhi (Posts: 46; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
I give up on nexus 8 tablet, google is taking too long to release one. I looking forward for Moto 360 and Nexus 6. Moto 360 should be the first one on the list. Nexus 6 should be second. Sony Xperia z3 should be third. then nexus 8, xiaomi 4, and so on. 99. should be iwatch. 100. should be iphone 6 or whatever they release.
49. neela_akaash (Posts: 143; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
Most practical and value for money device would be mi 4....
52. AlikMalix (Posts: 402; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
But what if you're buying experience instead of specs?