We need another word for "smartphone," and here's why!

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 3mo ago

The word "phone" is getting old! Especially when used to describe our modern telecommunication devices in our pockets. When Graham Bell invented the phone in 1876, it was all about sending your voice instantly across distances. Hence the word "phone" from the Ancient Greek φωνή (phonḗ, sound, voice). But now, our devices do so much more than just make calls.

So, 150 years later, we should get another word, and that's exactly how Samsung's TM Roh feels. He believes that our devices need a new name to reflect their advanced capabilities. In the current AI era, that could be anything tied to AI, or it could be just a "pad" or "personal communicator—percom," or something with a "palm" in it (although it has been done already).

The possibilities are endless, and even though we probably won't start the trend here, we could throw in a suggestion or two. Mine sound a bit silly, so we could brainstorm together. And maybe TM Roh will listen. How should we call the next-gen smartphones?

• 3mo ago

We live in a world of acronyms.How about an "MCD" for mobile communications device.

• 3mo ago

I don't see the problem. See the definition below:

Smartphone - a mobile device that combines the functionality of a traditional mobile phone with advanced computing capabilities.

Nothing wrong with that just like there's nothing wrong with the definition for automobile, which has been updated by today's technology.

Automobile - a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine or electric motor and able to carry a small number of people.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 3mo ago
↵pimpin83z said:

I don't see the problem. See the definition below:

Smartphone - a mobile device that combines the functionality of a traditional mobile phone with advanced computing capabilities.

Nothing wrong with that just like there's nothing wrong with the definition for automobile, which has been updated by today's technology.

Automobile - a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine or electric motor and able to carry a small number of people.

Fair, but I would argue that the primary function of an automobile hasn't changed drastically (if at all), as well as it's design. We have a steering wheel, four wheels, an engine, doors, etc. Cars are still taking us from A to B using the same basic principle.

The phone used to be a giant bakelite box with a crank to power it, then a smaller box with a number wheel and handset, then a box with a number pad, and so on. The point is, making calls is no longer the primary function of a phone (for most people). In that sense, it has evolved beyond it's primary purpose and probably needs a new name.

• 3mo agoedited

I disagree. The “phone” can have an evolution without the name change. Hell the Earth name should be changed because man sure is destroying its natural purpose. The automobile, vehicle, car, transportation all fit under one umbrella but that steering wheel is disappearing and if technology has shown us anything the purpose of the car will be entertainment with a bonus of getting us to point a to b. The focused will shift even though it’s true creation & intention has not changed. Marketing for the automobile will adapt and try to sell us on things we don’t need of course. That’s there job. A phone serves its purpose and then some and with still being able to use its original name

why there’s the genius in it, how could we take that away?

What the phone has done is Transcend-

To rise above or go beyond the limits of

• 3mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Fair, but I would argue that the primary function of an automobile hasn't changed drastically (if at all), as well as it's design. We have a steering wheel, four wheels, an engine, doors, etc. Cars are still taking us from A to B using the same basic principle.

The phone used to be a giant bakelite box with a crank to power it, then a smaller box with a number wheel and handset, then a box with a number pad, and so on. The point is, making calls is no longer the primary function of a phone (for most people). In that sense, it has evolved beyond it's primary purpose and probably needs a new name.

Automobiles went from motorized stage coaches to a huge variety of vehicles like roadsters, 2 seaters, coupes, sedans, trucks, 5 & 7 seater SUV's. Some people merely use them to get from point A to point B & others use them as a means to make a living.

With smartphones, some people merely use them to make calls & that's it & others use them as a means to make a living.

👊🏼

🖐🏼

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

🎤

• 3mo ago

I also don't feel any problem with that but if you surely insist for another name, let it be a meaningful one

• 3mo ago

Change for change sake. Everyone knows what a smartphone is, so it's not going to make any practical sense. Afterall, it is a phone at the end of the day, and if that particular function is removed then we could consider calling it something different.

However, I hate it when people just call them iPhones when clearly the majority of them will be made by a different manufacturer entirely.

• 3mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

The word "phone" is getting old! Especially when used to describe our modern telecommunication devices in our pockets. When Graham Bell invented the phone in 1876, it was all about sending your voice instantly across distances. Hence the word "phone" from the Ancient Greek φωνή (phonḗ, sound, voice). But now, our devices do so much more than just make calls.

So, 150 years later, we should get another word, and that's exactly how Samsung's TM Roh feels. He believes that our devices need a new name to reflect their advanced capabilities. In the current AI era, that could be anything tied to AI, or it could be just a "pad" or "personal communicator—percom," or something with a "palm" in it (although it has been done already).

The possibilities are endless, and even though we probably won't start the trend here, we could throw in a suggestion or two. Mine sound a bit silly, so we could brainstorm together. And maybe TM Roh will listen. How should we call the next-gen smartphones?

I don't call it smartphone, I just say my cell, or tablet depending on which one I am using. Main purpose of it to communicate with eachother, most people still prefer to talk to other people and hear their voice. Actually most of the time I video chat with family and friends, it is more personal that way.

I use mine for many other things but main purpose of it is as a phone. I have been in a car that drove it self, answered my questions and a lot more and it is still a car or automobile 🚘. Why is it that younger generations have this overwhelming need to change names, so they can make it their own????

• 3mo ago

A mobile communications device or personal computing device could easily describe an iPad or Surface Pro. No, a phone is a phone and it's Prime Directive (yes, I'm a Trekkie) is that of voice communication. It's what separates a "phone" from a mp3 device a la iPod, a tablet, PDA (only for us old farts) or a 2-in-1 PC. Knock yourselves out renaming it whatever you like, you'll quickly find out what the New Coke debacle in 1985 was all about.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless