We need another word for "smartphone," and here's why!

Join the discussion
• 4mo ago

I agree "phone" is the wrong name to use now... In addition I do not agree with communication device. These device now represent the use of data. It's all about DATA... Information coming in or moving out, and while receiving information is a form of communication I do not like the tie-in to social media since this is a poor source of communication.

The best part of the WWW is that information (DATA) is available in one way or another... A part of it is directly tied to communication but again it is all about DATA.

My Take...

Mobile Data Devices MDD, Mobile Information Devices M-ID, Information Devices ID....

• 4mo ago

I'm old enough to remember when they were called PDA - Personal Digital Assistant. That actually seems like an apt name today more than it did back then.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 4mo ago
↵jonbed said:

I agree "phone" is the wrong name to use now... In addition I do not agree with communication device. These device now represent the use of data. It's all about DATA... Information coming in or moving out, and while receiving information is a form of communication I do not like the tie-in to social media since this is a poor source of communication.

The best part of the WWW is that information (DATA) is available in one way or another... A part of it is directly tied to communication but again it is all about DATA.

My Take...

Mobile Data Devices MDD, Mobile Information Devices M-ID, Information Devices ID....

Fair point indeed! This and the post after yours make me think we can call the next-gen smartphones MDAs—mobile data assistants. What about MAI - Mobile Artificial Intelligence?

• 4mo ago

Let's try [COMMS-UNIT] or [PALM-HUB] discriptive and simple.

• 4mo ago
↵danielfgom said:

I'm old enough to remember when they were called PDA - Personal Digital Assistant. That actually seems like an apt name today more than it did back then.

PDA was for Personal Data Assistant. Back then too, DVD stood for Digital Video Disc and the same sort prissy busybodies wanted to force their change on that, -- "Versatile" in place of Video. These sorts of people seem to me to be envious of the real and rational people who invent and create and therefore they attempt to usurp for themselves what belongs to them, and to the rest of us, in our use of the inventions and creations, so as to show a sneaky contempt for people who respect the names of those inventors and creators and their chosen name for their gifts to humanity. They even tried to get the inventors of the loudspeaker to change the names of the drivers from woofers and tweeters to something else. They failed.

• 3mo ago

We don't. The term is like 'fast food'; you

Might look down on it, but you know what it is.

• 1w ago

Well since you mentioned it,I believe calling this smartphone is incorrect. Although,a telephone is a telephone, no mistake about the original word. The problem is mobilephone, mobile telephone, cellular phone,smartphones....

What is a smartphone? 1) a smartphone is a mobile phone that performs many functions of a computer.

In history, smartphone originated from a gadget called Personal Digital Device, an electronic gadget that is like a personal organizer without calling capability foremostly. Like a Pocket PC.

They say the first phone which was called smart is the Ibm Simon(year 1994), you can call, fax, email, etc. And the first Nokia Communicator(year1996), it has email,web browser etc. Which just look like a basic mobilephone not a full touchscreen which people mostly use today.

But the smartphone word wasnt popularly used until iPhone was first introduced on year 2007.

Is the object you are holding on your hand really a phone (telephone)? I believe no. It is a computer, a personal computer, since we dont use it just to call someone but much more on using Apps, Youtube, or browsing the web. Right? I think it was popularly called a smartphone because on the time of its popularity 2000s, Nokia was the top manufacturer of mobile phone and the first to create a mobilephone with connectivity to Internet plus mobile network. So the slang name of this gadget is termed. But even a Feature phone can be called smart, right? There are calendar, clock, a (tele)phone, games, even an internet on a 3g network. It's convenient for it to be called as smartphone too.

As it was defined on our definition above 1), a smartphone is a phone that functions as a computer. So i call it handheld computer or handy computer. Let just the linguist create a word for this. Like a personal computer, only that you can carry on your hand.

A smartphone is a phone with a computer. Or, more like, a computer with a phone, heh? A handheld computer! It's not a phone!

If Microsoft invented the smartphone (a computer company), it would have called it pocket PC (personal computer) as a common name; but of course its a proper name by Microsoft, like they call their personal digital assistant (even this word seem incorrect) back then. Which all of these ideas came from- PDAs, it's a portable computer, its not a phone.

Thats it, i call it Handheld Computer/ Handy Computer. What do you think?

Even tablet(Computers) are used as "smart"phones too! Are they smartphones? You be the judge.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless