Wolfson confirms its audio whiz chip is in the Samsung Galaxy S III
1. SoyCider (Posts: 18; Member since: 28 Sep 2011)
just FYI, it's the company that makes headphones as well;
and pretty good at it.
21. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
the only draw-back with the S3 is its ugly design and materials used,
or else its really good. enjoying mine. And its fast!
24. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I may agree for the design as beauty is subjective but dude, it's POLYCARBONATE like the OneX, Lumia 800/900 etc..!
25. Goldeneye (Posts: 419; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Sure but the feel and look is just cheap plastic.
2. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
hhmm.. this sounds like a better deal than beats.. been a HTC fan, but Galaxy S3 has lured me to the other side..
5. sgogeta4 (Posts: 394; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
Wolfson make the best DACs for mobile devices, way better than the beats crap...
10. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
It's because Beats is a terrible deal lol. Go with Skullcandy, Pioneer, or even Wolfson.
Beats is an overpriced name.
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
So does Skullcandy! Wolfson are known for the dac but their headphones aren't that good. If you have the cash to buy a BeatsPOS then go for a Sennheiser/AudioTechnica/Klipsch/AKG/Grado...
14. tech-blast (Posts: 17; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
No one talking about the BOSE. they are the best. i am currently using it and its awesome.
15. SleepingOz (unregistered)
BOSE are better than Beats but they're far from being the best!! And they're also overpriced, there's so much better out there.
16. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
BOSE is nothing more than the Apple of the audio world, good products alright but far from the best, and overpriced for their capabilities
20. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Totally! I always compare BOSE and Beats to APPLE.
23. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bose is EXTREMELY over priced. they are much like apple. I dont know if they still do, but they used to sell paper cone speakers in those cube systems for like 4 grand. Bunk that.. for 4 grand I demand more than paper cone crap!
27. BattleBrat (Posts: 1432; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Bose makes solid stuff, overpriced? No not really, I don't use Bose anymore, but only because I got into HIGH END home audio, I like Talon audio for my speakers and B&W for my computer monitors, although I have a pair of Sun fire CRM 2 speakers for movies..
Back on topic, wolf son chip in the S3 huh? I am gonna have to test drive one @ Verizon when they're released.
18. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 215; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
na dude bose is too much of an artificial sound.
26. AB00110101 (Posts: 7; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
More than happy with my Klipsch earbuds, soooo nice.
3. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I thought it was confirmed months ago.
4. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 985; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
This is why Samsung's smartphones are the best media smartphones. :)
The Yamaha in the GS2 does a great job to, but those Wolfson DACs together with Voodoo are in a whole different league from anything in the market.
6. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 637; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Wolfson DACs are very ambiguous depending on model. As far as my past audiophile experience goes, only very expensive high-end Wolfson DAC's were praiseworthy, while budget level models were subpar in comparison with competition. Of course, mobile users wouldn't know the difference anyway, it's only matter of exclusivity and branding.
13. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Woah, I thought I was the only audiophile here..
Right, casual listeners can't even tell the difference between128kbit/s and 320kbit/s mp3.
22. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Yup, but it's quite hard to tell the difference between 320kbit/s Mp3 and FLAC just by listening to them directly from your mobile due to their tiny DAC, even with decent cans. An AMP is usually needed. That's why I always carry my HP-AMP with me.
28. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 637; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
It's hard to tell the difference because of simple fact that audio hardware used in consumer products is just not transparent enough to show that.
7. rpankaj (Posts: 29; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
yeah.. even my budget droid lg optimus one has wolfson DAC.. WM9093... Sound is good
9. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
What audio chip HTC use for OneX ?
BTW Phonearena i have problem
I cant receive any notification except from the HTC OneX vs GS3 review .
Can anyone help ?
12. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I hope they'll equip the GNOTE II as well.
Otherwise, GSIII for me.
17. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
No wonder why sound quality in general with my galaxy s 3 is 100 times better and louder than the galaxy nexus. Which to be honest had a very low volume in general.
29. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
What chip galaxy nexus use ?