Verizon quietly releases the Samsung Gusto 2
Without any fanfare or eye-catching TV commercials, the Samsung Gusto 2 can now be yours starting today. Features of this moderately priced flip-phone include a 1.3MP camera, shortcut key, 2" 128x160 pixel internal display, 1" 96x96 pixel external display, Bluetooth 2.1, standard assortment of Verizon apps (VZNavigator, Verizon Tones, Mobile E-Mail), and comes with a 1000 mAh battery rated at 7 hours of talk time, or 14 days of standby time on a full charge. There is also something new called Fake Call, which allows users to set up a pseudo-call to help them escape unwanted social situations.
However, there are two features that we noticed are not present on the Gusto 2 - a microSD memory card slot and 3G EVDO (only 1X data is on the device). Though the original Gusto lacked those as well. Still, for $79 it would be nice if those were included, though we understand that they wanted to keep costs down.
Is anyone planing on buying the Samsung Gusto 2? Let us know in the comment section below.
source: Verizon Wireless
1. mercorp (Posts: 988; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
If this phone eas released in 2003,it would be like the galaxy s 3:a desireable flagship phone.
2. sarb009 (Posts: 296; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
now come on sheep and say samsung also copied this from cryPhone hahaha. from samsung u got a mobile phone for every categary not just for sheep as they offer in cr@pple
5. J-LoTheGreat (Posts: 32; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
It's a BASIC phone, that does BASIC things, for BASIC people!
6. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Why pay 79$ for this, when for 21 more, one can get the Lumia 900?
7. Planterz (Posts: 1403; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
1) This phone is for Verizon, and the Lumia 900 is an AT&T phone.
2) $21, plus $30 (or more) per month for data. Over a 2 year contract that's $720 more. Not everybody wants/needs a smartphone. Giving a smartphone to my 62 year old parents would be almost as dangerous as giving a toddler a loaded gun.
8. Csoki (Posts: 2; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I hope they fixed some of the issues the gusto had. A lot of these phones get sold to older people and the last thing they need is a phone with issues. When you think about it it's also pretty ridicoulous that in 2012 Samsung can't even make a basic phone that works right.
9. JunitoNH (Posts: 1127; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
@illia some folks don't care to make Verizon or any other carrier richer. Most folks with a smartphone have to pay an additional $720 a year for "premium service". So tell me who is the dummy, the person with the dumb phone or the one with the so called smart one? **** btw revenue figures were just released for Verizon & at&t, conclusion- they want you to keep your data plans cheers.
10. jeroome86 (Posts: 63; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I hate mail in rebates. Won't mess with them anymore. This should be a free phone with a contract.
11. sarb009 (Posts: 296; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
i think there is a sheep on this article who is giving thumb down to every comment. shhhhuuuu go away sheep shhhhhhhuuuuuuu
12. tward291 (Posts: 559; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
you can buy a nice flip phone on ebay for 20 bucks its what i did for my grams but she also has a iphone but she said its to fancy lol
13. Zorin (Posts: 152; Member since: 26 Jul 2010)
Target and BB will have this for free soon enough. I think the masses can hold out.
14. W.P._Android_in_that_Order (Posts: 207; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Its true. Best buy will have the phone for free. So definitely wait to get it if this kind of phone is you thing. Im sure there are going to be plenty of elderly people who are going to love this phone especially when you consider that it has a 1000 mAh battery.