This phone is on fire: Amazon Fire Phone, the retailer's first smartphone, goes official
The Amazon Fire Phone that we've been hearing about for so long is real: Amazon chief executive just unveiled the phone, a 4.7" device with outstanding display with great outdoor visibility, a 2.2GHz quad-core chip, and a 13-megapixel f/2.0 optical image stabilized camera that Amazon was quick to point out outdoes the Apple iPhone 5s and Samsung Galaxy S5.
The Amazon Fire Phone: four cameras for 3D effect, and flagship specsThe most notable feature of the Amazon Fire Phone, however, is the much rumored 3D effect, achieved with four front-facing infra-red cameras that track your head's position towards the device. Why four? Amazon figured out that people would often cover two of the cameras with their fingers, so instead of going with just two, it opted for four for safety. The company can even tell between a picture of a head and a real head, and it's built this expertise after extensive testing.
The Amazon Fire Phone also features dual stereo speakers, the hallmark feature of phones like the HTC One (M8) and Sony Xperia Z2, so you can expect above average sound quality.
Amazon adds its own unique services: Mayday and Firefly
Amazon Fire Phone: price, release date and carrier availability
1. kkmkk (Posts: 92; Member since: 06 May 2013)
actually not bad at all !!!!!!!!!
i was expecting it to be suck
15. Johnnokia (Posts: 528; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Is it ATT exclusive ?
what is the price?
11. enthasuium (Posts: 90; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
i dont understand 1 thing,
according to phonerena
iphone 5s max brightness is 587 nits
galaxy s5 442 nits . still s5 is brightest of all in all outdoor visibility test
22. JC557 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
It may also have to do with how reflective a screen is when viewed in any sort of lighting. There's also the contrast that you have to consider.
18. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4214; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
There is Amazon's loss. Carrier exclusivity. That's why it will be a flop. If you want to be a success you need to be on ALL carriers not just one.
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6588; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
It only sucks cause AT&T have it for EXCLUSIVE which will hurt AMAZON SALES.
4. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
This phone looks like black iPhone 5c
Anyway, cant wait for the whole thing to be unveiled to us!
5. Canaan (Posts: 131; Member since: 25 May 2014)
So I'm assuming it has the snapdragon 800 chip (considering its Ghz speed)? I would hardly call that mid range as previous reports had stated.
7. enthasuium (Posts: 90; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
After hearing too many drums and rolls of AmoLED display, the LCD word sounds poor ....
25. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1066; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
its on the main screen like i said its a htc evo 3d knock off.
34. willard12 (Posts: 827; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
The evo 3d created 3d photos with 2 x 5 mp cameras in the back, not a 3d main screen.
9. josephnero (Posts: 317; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Firefly?Sony had info eye launched with Z1 so not really unique
27. SellPhones82 (Posts: 521; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Sounds like Google Goggles...one of those neat features you use a few times just to see how it works, then never use it again...must be why Google discontinued it.
10. josephnero (Posts: 317; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Also only Sony bezels count?Look at that bezel
12. elitewolverine (Posts: 1740; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
I will put my 6 element lens up against this 5 element any day. With less pixels too. ;)
Interesting to get my hands on one though, cant wait.
13. tettech (Posts: 65; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Just like the "girl on fire" in Hunger Games, this is the "phone on fire" for the smartphone industry.
16. aditya.g0110 (Posts: 40; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Amazon has just madeup for all the cons of other phones and released this phone,this phone just tries to cover up the limitations of each of the high end phones
19. networkdood (Posts: 6276; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Dolby sound is nice - my Coolpad has it...is the OS a mucked up version of Android, or something else?
24. ihavenoname (Posts: 1446; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Heavily customized Android, same way as Kindle tablets I guess.
20. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 514; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
I don't know why all of Amazon's tablets and now phone have such bland designs.
23. AiAiRon (Posts: 10; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
well i WAS highly interested until announcement of the price point and carrier exclusivity... too bad looked pretty cool
26. Deadeye37 (Posts: 80; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
Sounded interesting up until Carrier Exclusive to AT&T. Now I want to see the Fire BURN! Stupid move locking it up with a carrier. I thought we moved past that.
28. TechDork (Posts: 239; Member since: 10 May 2010)
Nobody is going to switch to AT&T for that. Hell, people already on AT&T won't even buy that. "Oh hey, I have that new Amazon phone".
33. medwar07 (Posts: 24; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
too bad it is exclusive to att. oh well, to the next phone