This "IPHONE" is on sale in Brazil, and Apple can't do anything about it
1. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1301; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
ill stick around for the Gradiente IPAD
3. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2992; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
...that comes with Jelly Bean out of the box??
9. Cynipap999 (banned) (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
I think Gradiente has a lock on IPHONE in Brazil, who would've thought back in 2000 to apply for IPAD, too. The name "iPhone/IPHONE" is bad enough regardless of how it's spelled or what letters are and are not capitalized -- the name "IPAD" is just crappy and makes me think of sanitary napkins.
Personally, I don't see what all the hooplah is over this Gradiente model, it really seems like a much better device!
Congrats to them for releasing iPhone 6 before Apple; this is, technically and correctly, iPhone 6.
13. JC557 (Posts: 848; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Cisco also had the name iPhone and thankfully Apple had to pay for that one.
17. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
Actually Apple had problems with the name I-Pad in Brazil too. A medical products company has a line of defibrillators named I-Pad. Long before the iPad be imagined.
But the Brazilian court granted the right to register the name of Apple iPad in Tablet, by being completely different products. But in the case of the product Gradiente has the same function.
Gradiente was a large electronics company in Brazil in the 80s until the early 90s. But closed its doors a few years ago (I think in 2007) and got to have bankrupt, but then managed to reverse the decision.
I can bet that this sudden release is just to try to win one last exchanged at the expense of Apple before closing the doors for good. They can not keep this IPHONE market for more than 6 months. Any million dollars that Apple throw for them, they sell the name in a heartbeat!
32. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Now INPI (National Institute of Industrial Property) gave only to Gradiente the rights of the brand iPhone, that was that they released to our local press
“A lei brasileira de propriedade intelectual prevê que a primeira empresa que faz o depósito no INPI para registro da marca é quem tem o direito de uso da mesma no território nacional”
The brazilian law of intellectual property, stipulates that the first company that makes the first deposit in INPI the for registration of the trademark is who has the right to use the brand in national territory".
What Apple is going to do now, Gradiente can ban Apple iPhones from the brazilian market with they want to, just like they wanted to do with Samsung in U.S. LOL the Earth is a funny place to live right Apple?
2. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
The other question is, why doesn't Gradiente sue Apple for selling iPhone 5 in Brazil?
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2992; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Too scared that they'll lose their popularity!! :D
11. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Gradiente almost broke, the government that supported them, gradiente never was popular here, Samsung and Nokia dominates the market here in Brazil.
12. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
I believe Gradiente is releasing this under spec'd phone just so that they can claim they have a real product using the name IPHONE. Now they can go ahead and sue Apple or negiotiate a big payout from selling the name to Apple.
This probably will be the only IPHONE model they'll release.
18. cretinick (Posts: 147; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
They will try get some money from Apple and close the company.
6. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Still a better iPhone upgrade than iPhone 4S.
23. downphoenix (Posts: 2267; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
No, because its not even running ICS and the specs are pathetic compared to the 4S other than a slightly bigger screen.
27. fur0n (Posts: 69; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
hey it has equivalent specs to the apple iphone 5
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2992; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Would love Wendy to come here and yell "Take My Money Already"!!
Well, It's still an IPHONE...no??
30. wendygarett (unregistered)
Didn't see that coming lol
yes I will, but it is Brazil only :(
10. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
"After all, you just can't buy a new iPhone for $285 off contract, especially in the country where iPhones cost the most." As a brazilian i feel ashamed, is sad because the phones makers here compete to see who can sell more expansive, because here, the culture is: it's expensive, so it is good and gives me status. Apple has more taxes discounts than any other OEM, here in Brazil, but a single iPhone 5 16GB is $1149 off contract and $719 on contract, and now Samsung released the GS3 LTE here for the same price of the iPhone off contract, ridiculous, because of that nonsense market i always go to U.S. to buy electronics. Here is the place where the money spent to buy a Toyota Corolla, you can buy an Audi A6 with all accessories included.
14. bubbadoes (Posts: 321; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Apple is losing it's steam and fast,, stock down over $200 dollars, and looking at probably $260 this time next year--iphone hasn't changed since the original iphone in 2007 to include the ios. A pure fact that the iphone is losing it's steam is because retails are selling the phone at any price they want...Walmart has it for $129 and will go down even lower as time passes. This is a practice that Apple would not even let happen even a year ago--the iphone stayed the same price, respectively, 199, 299 and 399 for the 16, 32 or 64 gb version up until the realease of a new iphone.. Now look--fire sales everywhere and retailers selling the iphone for whatever price they want....Android and Windows are heavy on the heals of Apple-----
16. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1197; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
They should at least come out with a better spec phone to use the name
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
hmmm kinda looks like its made by HTC! lol
21. ray77 (Posts: 121; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
IT WILL SALE ..AN FOR THE PRICE IT WILL SALE
22. skymitch89 (Posts: 1021; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
There is also a slight difference in the name. The Apple iPhone has a lower case "i" at the beginning and the Gradiente IPHONE has a capital "I" at the beginning.
24. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Wait, Apple was not the FIRST to come out with the name "iPhone"? Man, never seen that coming.
25. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
the best thing happened to an iphone since iphone...
26. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
"...and other unimpressive characteristics listed on its specs sheet..."
Yeah, because a REAL Apple iPhone has better specs than this thing?
Android 2.Whatever on this thing > iPhone 5.
You guys that write these favor Apple much?
29. MC1123 (Posts: 1229; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
lol...sorry apple.. you cant always get what you want!
31. rusticguy (Posts: 2819; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Has apple ever been able to do anything except steal (names also) innovatively?
33. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I want phonearena to review this and make a comparison to the iPhone, it would be called iPhone vs IPHONE.