Well, as it turns out, Carphone Warehouse and Samsung acted quite appropriately. The Korean based manufacturer hired Fire Investigations UK a third party firm that tested the damaged phone and said that the source of the heat was not the phone itself and that the phone was not responsible for the explosion. The report further stated that the only way to produce the kind of damage done to the phone would be to have put it in a microwave oven and heated it up.
dropped the guy's new Samsung Galaxy S III in the toilet and put it in the microwave to fix it. With friends like that, who needs an enemy. This doesn't mean that the phone's owner isn't guilty. After all, he is the one that went to Carphone Warehouse with a bogus story which he repeated on the internet.
The sad thing is that had either of them been loyal phoneArena readers, they would have known how to save a phone from water damage. The good news is that owners of the Samsung Galaxy S III can sleep better tonight, knowing that they won't have their face blown off by a rogue model. And yes, the biggest victims of this act are those who decided to buy another phone because they were worried about the Samsung Galaxy S III having a random explosion. Turns out you could have bought the phone you really wanted instead of settling for something else.
source: SamsungTomorrow via Phandroid