The phone melted right through the case
Its the kind of thing that could have happened to anyone. A guy is driving in a car with his brand new Samsung Galaxy S III safely snuggled into its car dock with the charger not plugged in. All of a sudden, he is startled by a flash of white smoke, sparks and a loud bang
came from the device. Stopping the car to examine the phone, he found it had been burned at the bottom and had melted through the case. The guy brings the phone back to the Carphone Warehouse and was told that the phone would have to be sent in to Samsung. And that is how they left it, no replacement phone, no unit for this gentleman to use.
Samsung had apparently found out about the incident and issued a statement that said that the company is aware of the situation and is investigating. Meanwhile, the poor guy narrowly escapes serious damage to this face, his hands or his pocket and ends up with no phone for the moment while the investigation goes on. We knew that the Samsung Galaxy S III was hot, but hot enough to melt the phone?
"There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously."-Samsung statement
The Samsung Galaxy S III unit after the explosion