Sony Z Ultra is the first Google Play Edition phablet, now available for $649
1. camera531 (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Sony absolutely ruins their screens with permanent factory PLASTIC screen protectors, so the screen scratches very easily (it's just cheap plastic that you touch, with the glass uselessly under it), and it's impossible to clean off fingerprints and gunk. It's hard to believe that they still do this! It totally ruins the experience with their flagship Z1, which I would've otherwise bought. A real shame!!
2. LahiruRD (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Mar 2012)
Dude, you can always remove it ! or you can buy a good screen protecter & appy it over the preinstalled one. No problems at all. I'm doing that since X10, Arc, S, Z & now on Z1.
4. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Then DON'T but it if u don't like it
10. camera531 (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
@It's very, very difficult to remove and most YouTube videos showing it use razor blades and almost always scratch or damage the phone in the process. Also, the Sony logo is actually on the screen protector, not the glass, so you lose that (along with your warranty and ability to return/exchange it if needed). If you want a screen protector, get one. But DON'T FORCE IT ON USERS! Most people hate this, which is well documented and almost every review of Sony's flagships talk about how bad this is.
22. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
it ain't a screen protector. its a shatter proof film like what buccob said
9. buccob (Posts: 2340; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Those screen protectors are not scratch resistant, they are shatter resistant... meaning that if you are unlucky enough to crack the digitizer, it will most likely have a small crack and not a spider-web crack...
Totally worth it! I hope sony keeps delivering their smartphon with this added protection...
And as LahiruRD suggested, I applied an additional Scratch Resistant protector over the pre-installed one with no problem...
12. camera531 (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Fine, then get a screen protector. There are many good ones out there. But DON'T FORCE IT ON USERS, most of which hate them.
23. LahiruRD (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Mar 2012)
But hey, what's the problem with it? anyways no one forces you to buy a screen protector. If you don't like, don't buy it. It's simple as that :)
40. camera531 (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
The screen protector is permanently attached to the phone with a heating process. So yes, they force you to have a plastic film over the glass, instead of just glass. So it's basically a plastic screen.
26. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
There's not a single user, not power user, that I know that hate the shatterproof sheet on their Sony smartphones. All of them never complained or said anything about it whenever I talk about their phones (I do software services on phones so I got many acquaintances) The thing is.. If you hate it, get another phone. There are thousands(!) of option for Android phones out there.
42. camera531 (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
From Android Central: "But we have to take issue with one of the manufacturer’s design decisions, and our main gripe has to do with the invisible, non-removable plastic sheets attached to the phone’s front and back. Presumably they’re there to provide some additional protection for the screen and the back, but they also have the effect of making the phone feel way more plasticky than it should, in addition to being a magnet for fingerprints and lint. Sadly, here’s a metal and glass phone that feels like plastic."
And most other reviewers have the same negative opinion...
43. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Hey hey hey! If you don't like the phone, don't get it. As simple as that! What's so difficult about it? Tell me which phone is 100% perfect? If this is imperfection to you, then choose another phone which you think suits you better. I don't see how complaining here against others will make your life better.
24. AnTuTu (Posts: 1551; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
This is not phablet it is a tablet please correct :)
34. 21babydoll12 (unregistered)
I understand the complex sitiuation of not knowing how to remove a shatter protective film from a screen. Really, its very scientificly complicated. I sense a lack of ownership and narrow minded consumer (fanboy???)
My phone hasnt had any issue with with the oem shatter proof film. It saved my phone twice. Kinda wished all other manufacters would do this because its actually very helpful and gets rid of the need of aftermarket products.
41. camera531 (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Fanboy of what? I'm not claiming something is better @21babydoll12. Most reviews of the Z1 pan the plastic screen protector (Engadget, Brownlee, CNET, BGR, etc.) and it's a heat treated plastic film that doesn't just "come off" smartass. I've owned Sony phones, including the Z, and know what I'm talking about.
44. boosook (Posts: 1362; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
You don't even own a Sony phone, and you don't actually know the quality of Sony (and former SonyEricsson) phones. You probably didn't even try the Z1. You just read this somewhere in some forum and, for some unknown reason, you felt an urge to come here and express an opinion on something you don't actually know. Thank you for your precious contribution, anyway.
3. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3532; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Well this was a happy surprise for the end of my day!
5. Gaurav008 (Posts: 299; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
No flash dissappointed me. For a high end phone, you would think it's a given. :/
6. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Now I see good signs to hope the next nexus to be made by Sony.
NEXPERIA is a good name for it!
27. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Lol. Good one :P
Anyway, every other top manufacturers has got their turn to do a Nexus so Sony should get their turn next! Would really love to see an Xperia Nexus!
37. apple4never (Posts: 1058; Member since: 08 May 2013)
an xperia nexus would be boss especially with sony's camera expertise
7. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
The best screens are on the Lumia 1520
Best phone in the world!!
8. ihavenoname (Posts: 1669; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Elop, is that you? Your companys advertising is becoming more and more desperate.
13. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
How dare you, I hate Elop!!
I am the great GrapeEyes!!
18. trickster_qc (Posts: 101; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
what a boring video. the music sucks and the image quality isn't good at all.
19. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
I did say it was a basic video. However it has over 1500 likes on facebook :)
32. cdgm2509 (Posts: 30; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
can you freaking stop posting stupid things about nokia and their crappy phones on other brands articles? Thank you.
45. boosook (Posts: 1362; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Lumia? Why should I care? Does it come in a google play edition?
11. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 950; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
They should've gone with the Galaxy Note 3, but anyway I guess other OEMs need a chance to.
14. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I really appreciate you that you give this chance to other OEMs.
15. jan25 (Posts: 463; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
No, they should've gone with the Note 3. The Ultra could barely pass for a phone.
16. Lycan155 (Posts: 174; Member since: 24 Nov 2013)
I dont think an s pen device can have pure android because the pen software is orientated around touchwiz ... I hope you can get me :/
17. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1865; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
As well as the multi-window feature.
31. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Just so u know...not everyone likes note3...not everyone like plastic aka faux leather...amoled...same old booring design... And don't even get me started on touchwiz ...
36. Jason2k13 (Posts: 978; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
because everyone is buying a Sony Z ultra these days?
35. 21babydoll12 (unregistered)
Disagree, having one from each manufacture is a great idea as they cover all form sizes too. Looking foward to the GPE 2014 and beyond.
25. Dowson (unregistered)
SONY bring US the Z1, holys*it
28. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
This leaves Motorola as the only major Android manufacturer without a Google-branded release. Weird, because Motorola is a Google subsidiary.
29. maulgandhi (unregistered)
Im lovin Google how they going all nexus with famous products. They are more than serious about their nexus line. I would still like to see how Google will play with Motorola.
30. JunitoNH (Posts: 1400; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
I guess they only want to sell six, at that price point.
33. belovedson (Posts: 837; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
which google play phone or nexus of this current gen the best priced
38. anleoflippy (Posts: 580; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
The Z Ultra has one of the best screen on the market, companied with powerful internals and marvelous design. I think Google picked the right device to make it a GPE. Even though no Sony software in there, it still retains the X-Reality doe mobile and still able to use a pen/pencil or anything for that matter to operate it. It's just dissappointing that the stock Android does not have any capabilities to take advantage of the screen. Same can be said if a Note 3 GPE exist.
39. crazymonkey05 (Posts: 167; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
I really think that Google is hinting that the next nexus device will be by Sony. Because every OEM that has a GPE device has also had a nexus so this leads to speculation.
And with the whole Motorola thing I think Motorola will have to step up it's game. As Google said they want to keep Motorola independent from Google so if moto wants a GPE they will have to work for it. And also Motorola also has Google experience devices that are basicly nexus devices as they receive updates from google
46. Phaze0085 (Posts: 112; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Anyone know if the battery on the GPe of the XZU will be better compared to the original?
47. Topcat488 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
That's a whole lot of bezel on that there Z1, if ya know what I mean there boi. A whole lot.
48. jack123 (Posts: 162; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
I owned Z ultra c6806 for couple months already, but I really like stock android. Is there any way I can flash stock Rom of Z ultra GE for my c6806?