Samsung Galaxy S5 takes the Ice Bucket Challenge
The video is nothing flashy – the phone presents itself, talking with its S Voice, then a stream of icy water spills over it from off-screen. The phone notes that it's freezing (ha-ha) and nominates three of its flagship rivals – the iPhone 5S, HTC One (M8), and the Nokia Lumia 930. Obviously, this is an attempt of a tongue-in-cheek jab at the competitors' lack of waterproofing, though we can't say we find it to be in particularly good taste.
15. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
now lets see what apple will do? probably will hide itself
18. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
They weren't hiding when they were legitimately participating in the challenge, instead of just using the hype for marketing like Samsung is here.
25. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
so do you mean they will hide their phones?? :p
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 12620; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Why do They need to do it? Tim Cook just did it last week.
29. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
its just a challenge.. if they have a courage to do it again...
well, its upto them
39. sgodsell (Posts: 1435; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
You can't be that much of an idiot. Phones not people. Lets see the iPhone, 930, and HTC One M8 take the ice bucket challenge.
31. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Don't challenge me....
5. tiara6918 (Posts: 1534; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
They're chickening out since the z2 can last longer on the challenge
13. CyberFalcon (Posts: 172; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
Next Nokia after releasing their 1020 Successor ll call Samsung for a Camera challenge...
I am waiting to see what u r gonna say to that Samsung....
40. sgodsell (Posts: 1435; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
16mp is not as good as the 41mp for stills, but the isocell is much faster and can take 4k video. Not to mention take super slow motion videos at up to 240 fps. That's right the 1020 can't do any of those things. The 1020 is slow at capturing pictures. So bring on the challenge.
45. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
mega pixel count is nothing in terms of quality... 41mp or 16mp, both can be equal in quality except when you zoom in... by way who zoom in in norrmal scenareos?
49. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3312; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
No matter when I take a picture but I always zoom in to it to see more detail about the thing I took the picture of. I want to see mooore.
23. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
As much as I'd like to agree they didn't pick the Z2 because it's waterproof, I'm sure it's more because the iPhone is their No.1 non-android competitor, m8 is their No.1 Android competitor and Lumia Whateverwhogivesacrap is their No.1 WP competitor.
36. vincelongman (Posts: 1699; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Me and some mates did the cancer ice bucket challenge a few months back
One of my mates did his with his Z1 C in his pocket
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 1534; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Better if htc challenges it with the butterfly 2 rather than an m8
37. vincelongman (Posts: 1699; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Samsung donated to the UK's MND Association
7. meeaaoon (Posts: 21; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
Undoubtedly Samsung has the best marketing team. :D Maybe one day they'll realize they should also have best design team.
19. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
"The best marketing team" would realize that taking advantage of a popular charity to market your products is really tacky.
22. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Not if Samsung donated, this is the whole point of this stupid challenge anyway.
24. mickeygosselin (Posts: 16; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
As long as they are helping spread awareness, in my eyes they are doing alright
30. Python212 (Posts: 363; Member since: 13 Aug 2014)
I'm sure stealthd never had any problems with apple's product RED lines.
38. vincelongman (Posts: 1699; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
IMO looks too much like an ad, they could of handled it better
E.g. have their CEO do the challenge with the S5 in his pocket, after the challenge he pulls out his wet S5 and use S-Voice/Google Now to donate to charity using text donate
8. pavsidhu (Posts: 111; Member since: 20 May 2014)
I don't think Samsung understands that nobody uses S-Voice, Google Now is 100 times better
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Too afraid to nominate the Xperia Z2? Hahaha...Sony laughs at you.
28. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
actually they challenged only the popular phone.... :p
hey, did I say popular? hmm... what nokia n htc are doing here then?
hmmm... may be samsung dont want to show that it is going after apple only ;)
11. Guti986 (Posts: 78; Member since: 26 Dec 2013)
I think they have pretty good taste. Not sure what the last comment was about.
12. djlucy (Posts: 8; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Now that was pretty funny.....jaja.....Let's see who excepts the challenge?
14. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 444; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
You can't beat a Z2 frozen for 12 hours and still works! #HardcoreIceBucketChallenge
16. twens (Posts: 699; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
This is do funny. Why nominate someone who can actually challenge you? You guys are just trolls. It's a neat marketing move and I like it. If any of those phones try it they are dead. Lol
Sammy is just dope when it comes to marketing.
20. jibraihimi (Posts: 695; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Tim cook had already accepted the challenge of s5,and taken the bucket over himself........ Now let us see if ceo of samsung does the same.....
26. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
no he didnt, he didnt pull the bucket on iphone.. so the challenge of S5 is still a challenge.... iphone will die and will not withstand this challenge... :p
it will take them another iteration of iphone just to meet this challenge :p
21. Sharky (Posts: 132; Member since: 24 Jun 2008)
As long as they actually donated money to their charity of choice ok... but it kind of sucks to see this becoming more and more of a marketing gimmick.
34. AfterShock (Posts: 2968; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Oh, PA, nice bit of malicious code in that add showing above.
41. Lyngdoh (Posts: 225; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I think the phone was about to explode/burnt before they pour ice water on it.
42. gigaraga (Posts: 1381; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Nice. Seen a lot of Korean people do this challenge and it's nice to see their phones are getting into it as well :)
43. Marienx (Posts: 20; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Sooo, they took and noble cause to market their stupid phone. Great Samsung.. Great!
44. Scorpion (Posts: 89; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
Ok so where is Sony? They can put the Z,Z1,Z2 together. But why do a good marketing move? Its not like they are Samsung....
46. AlikMalix (Posts: 1002; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Only samsung would use a terrible disease to market their phone. Sereiosly this is wrong. I'm glad they challenged Apple (one thing i like about Samsung is their push for waterproofing) - but not like this. Is ther no other way to sell their latest without bashing others or trashing an awearness compaign?
I will never consider a samsung product (not that I was interested before) but this pushes over the top.
Shame idea shamesung.
50. AlikMalix (Posts: 1002; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
But just incase you were wondering...:http://www.imore.com/iphone-alsicebucketchallenge-proves-samsung-marketing-clueless-again
47. flywurx (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Aug 2014)
anyone else notice that the time shown on the phone jumped from 2:16 to 2:50 after being doused with iced water? either the video was edited or it malfunctioned...i think it malfunctioned...hahaha
48. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
no its not malfunctioned... it got so cold that camera man took some rest to let it warm again to hold ;)
51. sniper1087 (Posts: 408; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
well noticed the battery icon on the notification and time changed when the water finished, seems fake to me.