Rumor: Google Nexus 5 might feature a revolutionary camera with Nikon branding
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Google would seem to be motivated to up their game in the camera department. Vic's tweet would confirm that. Timing seems about right as well. I only hope Google gets their act together with the release. Especially the function of the Play store.
17. PhoneLuver (Posts: 480; Member since: 05 Jul 2010)
Didn't we hear last year that the camera was the least favourite module that users want upgraded? This year all we hear is camera, camera, camera!?!
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they are finally doing the camera some justice, It's the confusing messages I don't like.
I bet next year it will all be about wireless charging.
19. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
but camera without replaceable battery is a complete nonsense!
36. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
could any one imagine a photo-camera (DSLR) with an in-built battery?? just an iD*ot :)
47. mariosraptor (Posts: 111; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
could you imagine an insanely big sensor with only 8gb onboard?
1.2.3 pics later. oops memory full.
56. tha.fox (Posts: 100; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
Every Nexus Ive ever had had expandable memory what are you talking about?
57. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Nexus 4? show me something decent, thank you :-)
2. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i want next Nexus with Sony brand on top. pleaaaaase Google.
10. XperiaUser (unregistered)
Sony Nexus with a revolutionary camera "JUST WOW"
15. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i think they can sell better with Sony.
it can be a great boost both for Google and Sony.
30. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
They said they're prepping one for japan, so who knows :)
32. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Don't worry, Sony and Google will make it, we just have to be patient.
Sony Xperia Nexus we are waiting for you!
34. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If this Nexus 5 specs is real, LG will definitely blow all the other Nexus devices away.
58. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Sony nexus 6! Thats what im waiting & hoping for. So im skipping every nexus device for a Sony. terminate my contract
60. DHILLON_ARSH (Posts: 66; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
i want next Nexus with "ANY"brand on top.EXCEPT L.G
66. JunitoNH (Posts: 1363; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Anyone, but $amsung please..............
4. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Still waiting for an affordable 64 gigs. NAND flash would be great....Ive had enough of these camera gimmicks....if Google can at least provide an affordable handset with a whopping 64 gigs, they might take a chunk off Samsung or HTC 's pie....
5. blackice214 (Posts: 164; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
screw the camera i want a better phone.
6. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
Megalodon did sound a little too good to be the truth, but not imposible...on the other hand...this, this sounds, well, just ordinary, even for todays specs, let alone for Q3 so I really think they will go either with T4 or S800...good work on the cam though...and abut that thing u said about RAM, will someone explain to me why is it whacky to put 2 modules that have 1,5GB to ake 3GB ram?
49. McLTE (Posts: 776; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Seriously.. I have a Note2 and I cannot imagine the performance being an issue this fall when the Nexus phone comes out.
Now.. the GS4 and One will whip my Note2 handily.. but I don't care!
We are at a time when processor performance is so good that phones coming out today will last for quite a long time.
As for the memory and putting 2 modules taht have 1.5 GB on them.. it's due to the way memory is created and how the math is done.. skipping the exact details, you will ALWAYS see memory in even numbers.. 2, 4, 8, 16.. etc
53. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
I know how it is made, they can easily put 2x1,5 GB and make it 3 GB no problem at all, I forgot if S800 or T4 support 3 channel memory, that would be awesome and it would make 3GB of RAM the most logical soluion
7. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Sounds like stacked sensors to me, probably similar to HTC One's; but if they are not going to sacrifice phone thickness and stuff in a small sensor, whatever branding they put, the camera will still be average. A big sensor is important. I believe the branding is only used as a selling point, people hearing Nikon's name on the phone will be attracted to it.
8. _Bone_ (Posts: 2150; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
You know what's great too? These. Can you guess the product?
27. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3288; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Wasn't so hard to figure it out man...just two images and it got me.
11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3288; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Daniel P, that conversation between Vick and Sizar was from last year...used for another article, probably before the launch of Nexus 4.
It's surprising you used it for this article again.
18. Daniel.P (Posts: 102; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
Hi, Nathan_ingx, not really, see the posts above in the February, 2013 conversation thread at G+ here:https://plus.google.com/+VicGu
The next posts also refer to Vic's "insanely great" comment, like this one:
"Mario Sferrazza Feb 18, 2013
Really? Insanely great?!?! I really wish this company had more originality. It shows everywhere. Although, if you guys gotta get your inspiration from somewhere, you cold do a lot worse. "
22. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3288; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Alright Sir! My bad... It's just that the conversation was strikingly similar! Or atleast, it ended that way :)
23. Daniel.P (Posts: 102; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
Haha, too bad the Nexus 4 camera didn't end up being "insanely great" ;)
26. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3288; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
That was a disappointment!!
I'd like Vic to define the term "insanely great" he uses.
12. Bozzor (Posts: 166; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Actually, Megalodon specs as stated are quite possible - not now, but in the October timeframe. Remember, that is still 6+ months away, a long time in mobile handset lifecycles. If the Galaxy SIV was mooted end of September, we'd have said "No way!" Specs were so far ahead of the pack that it would seem crazy. But for end of the year, it would be top end but plausible. And mid 2014, it will be solid upper but nowhere near the top.
38. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1101; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Err what? All the Galaxy S IV hardware is evolutionary and not revolutionary, by that time people already knew HTC was doing a 1080p phone, as it was posted a rumour on theverge on August 6, 13 MP cameras are also the standard for 2013 nothing to see there and the so called OCTA is nothing more than ARM's big.little renamed. And still the same, soap like design with cheap plastic, while they had better designs with better build quality as it was suggested by various tech sites. Samsung lost all the respect from me as they are getting too greedy and are cutting corners (on build quality) just to have more profit, other companies like Sony, HTC, Apple and even LG make great looking bodies with build quality to match, why can't the world's top manufacturer do the same?
16. rizevnarastek (Posts: 338; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I have a strong feeling the next Nexus phone is going to be made by HTC...
20. rdeleonp (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Jan 2012)
Snapdragon 600? Not much of an upgrade, then.
They *really* should aim for the 800.
21. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Or the (cough) blazingly fast TEGRA 4...at least according to Nvidia and their souped up test tablet
31. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Tegra 4 would be nice
28. pronav (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
if next nexus will have a Nikon camera then Google will blast away apple and windows phone out of phone battle
29. soshi (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
Insane camera and video with insane storage. where would we put the video and camera if only 16 gb max? My phone has 16 GB sd card with 8 mp camera and 720p video already full without any video left in it
35. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If the Nexus 5 specs are real, LG will definitely blow all other Nexus devices away.
37. Trex95 (Posts: 844; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Good news. Finally Google wake up and please google fix the lag issue with Android.
39. SuperNexus (Posts: 126; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I am waiting for next Nexus...............
40. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
It's funny how everyone's bashing Nokia for putting focus on the camera department. However, since 808 and a bit later 920 were unveiled, a race has started.
HTC tried to steal the show using its overrated one "ultrablahblah" tech, sony, as always, failed to deliver something more than just average exmor rs sensor in xperia z, and now even google is trying to grab a piece of pie trying to collaborate with nikon (just like motorola did with canon a few years ago).
41. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
This is going too be 1 awesome phone!
42. yazbuh (Posts: 29; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
A 5 incher nexus I will buy it not matter the brand cuase I know its with the Google standards, plus a great camera WOW, I've been over due for an upgrade thinking of the HTC one, Xperia Z, or the S4, but can wait for for a few more months if this deserves the wait, I'm still fine with my 4.2 Galaxy Nexus though...
43. superguy (Posts: 280; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Geez, would it kill Google to actually put a usable amount of storage on these phones if they're not going to include an SD card?
16 should be the minimum in that case. WTF is up with 8GB?
It seems really dumb to create a high end phone and then gimp it with limited storage. Not everyone has access to the cloud all of the time, nor does everyone have the bandwidth to continuously access it.
45. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 469; Member since: 07 May 2012)
8GB is useless without micro sd,minimum should be 16/32 without expandable storage,they need to rank it up to 32/64/128 if no micro sd slot.
48. MartyK (Posts: 732; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Maybe we need to start a petition to Google to offer two types of Nexus with and without SD SLOT phone!.
btw, thumb up to you SIR!!!!
50. imkyle (Posts: 1059; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I think we are al ready to see the new Nexus 5.
52. blazee (Posts: 394; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
My next phone is gonna be either the next nexus or Motorola x
54. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
so is google doing nexus lg model and moto X phone with 5.0 os ....im so lost