Report claims Apple's iPhone 6 will stick to an 8MP camera
1. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Not true. Every iPhone Apple introduces, "CPU, GPU, Camera is a must upgrade"
8. Finalflash (Posts: 1437; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
And sadly this is the most believable rumor about the iPhone.
15. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2649; Member since: 26 May 2011)
As Apple has shown with the past few iPhones, and as LG showed with the Nexus 4 and 5, adding megapixels is not the only way to upgrade a camera.
20. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
It doesn't mean the camera isn't substandard when compared to the rest of the industry and where it is headed...
28. stealthd (Posts: 913; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
It doesn't mean it IS substandard either. Bigger numbers don't guarantee better results.
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7354; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Note 3, S4, G2, Z1, and all Lumia phones prove your comment wrong.
43. Penny (Posts: 1096; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
While that statement is in itself true, pixels aren't the only thing being upgraded by competitors. Competitors are also working on sensor size, working on image stabilization, working on software features, enthusiast oriented features, etc. The iPhone still produces pretty good JPEGs, but there's no indication that Apple intends to make any strides in this department. Competitors are making strides in overall quality and features, not just pixels.
44. BattleBrat (Posts: 1038; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I have a Canon EOS 20D (I also have a 60D, saving for a 6D), it is an 8.2 megapixel digital SLR. I can do prints upto 11 X 14 before you can start seeing blur. When was the last time any of you printed, let's say an 8 X 10 from a picture you took? 8mp is honestly all most people need. I like the bigger sensors they're using now though. Although I feel a Zeiss lens would help out too on phones (not a problem for Nokia ;-) )
51. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
And your lenses are probably 10X the size of what is in the normal smartphone. Of course it's going to look better at 8.2 than the average 8MP shooter on a smartphone. Not to mention you have an optical zoom and most smartphones still have digital ones.
57. BattleBrat (Posts: 1038; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Actually I only use Zeiss primes. But if they used a sensor the size of the 1020's but 8mp with Zeiss optics you would get solid low light performance and should be able to squeeze out some decent 5 X 7 sized shots, maybe 8 X 10 with modern sensor tech.
16. akki20892 (Posts: 3248; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Apple Strategy: Don't waste money, keep it going same, it saves you a money.
19. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
Agree. My iP5s is still using 3 years old screen, not even does it have a 720P screen. And still uses a 1500Mah battery, atleast a 2000Mah would be great.
Apple is charging customers so much for a device that is classed not even a midrange.. dam sure do they know how to takes peoples hardearned money...
29. stealthd (Posts: 913; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
720P is just an arbitrary resolution. The screen is not 3 years old. If you've seen a 5 or 5s screen compared to an actual 3 year old phone, like the iPhone 4, sure the resolution is the same, but the brightness, contrast, and color saturation are all better. Sounds like you're stuck on meaningless numbers.
52. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
I am a bit disappointed that my iPhone 5S has a 8 MP shooter, but it also came with a 64-bit processor.
I'll take the 64-bit processor, thank you very much!
3. Credo (Posts: 683; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Nah, i don't think Apple will be that dumb to stick with the same cameraresolution the next time
5. cwiley5045 (Posts: 16; Member since: 07 May 2010)
Why play the game of upgrading pixels when thats not the problem with the quality of camera phone. Everyone else is doing it as a sells pitch while Apple wants to make that 8MP work better then there 16MP and larger. I think its a great idea.
10. wildfiregt (Posts: 87; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Pixels is one part of making a good camera. When you improve ,you go on every aspect. Don't try to argue that a 16Mp and 8Mp is same cuz it isn't at all
30. stealthd (Posts: 913; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
He didn't say they were the same. He said Apple could make an 8MP camera that could be overall better than a 16, which is potentially true. MP count is a great number for marketing, because a lot of people think it indicates the cameras quality, when it really doesn't.
11. JMartin22 (Posts: 712; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
There are a lot of 13 MP or higher cameras that are better than the iPhone's 8 MP shooter. Don't make it sound like Apple's the only one focusing on quality.
34. stealthd (Posts: 913; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
There are 13MP cameras that will get a little more detail in perfect lighting, but they are not better in lower light conditions than the 5s.
48. Penny (Posts: 1096; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
iPhone 5s has one of the smaller camera sensors for a smartphone and no optical image stabilization. It performs admirably for being so handicapped, but it can't perform as well in low light as phones like the Nokias, with optical image stabilization and larger sensors.
38. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I've been doing shoot outs with my note 3, and 5S, and to be totally honest, the iPhones are just a tad better most of the time. I'd say 6 outta 10 times.
6. iGeek (Posts: 105; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
8 MP for the 4th year in a row !! Well thanks Apple
P.S : I own an iPhone 5, A Galaxy Note 3 and an iPad 3. I prefer Apple's ecosystem over Android but seems like Apple is digging their own tomb !!
Don't tell me Apple has costumers and these stuff
If you saw my previous comments you know I was an Apple fanatic maybe my Profile Pic still says it !! But I decided to leave because of the lack of innovation and these useless speed bumps that are barely noticeable
Enough with that Apple, surprise us !! Make something ... The world reached 41 MP on a phone and soon a 4K display and Apple still has 8 MP and Retina !! Come on now, are you kidding with us ??
35. stealthd (Posts: 913; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Are you serious? You basically just said "Apple's not giving me bigger numbers!" Bigger numbers don't always make a better phone, bigger numbers are just easier to market. Yes, "the world" reached a 41 MP camera phone, that's more camera than phone. Yes, there are 4K displays, on TV's not phones, and what's the point of adding more pixels when they're already too small to see?
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
What they don't tell you is that the pics, and vids on that 41 meg camera are generally not shareable. That's mostly for printing them out.
49. Penny (Posts: 1096; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
But they do tell you that the phone takes both a 38 megapixel and 5 megapixel photo simultaneously, and the 5 megapixel photo is sharper and cleaner than anything you'll see out of any other smartphone because it benefits from pixel binning. And at 5MP, it's very shareable.
54. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Thanx for the info, I didn't know that +1. My favorite thing about the iPhones camera, is the fact that it auto resizes video, so it'll send no matter what.
58. Penny (Posts: 1096; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Yeah, that is definitely handy for sharing videos. Not sure how the Nokias behave in this regard as I don't take/share much video really.
61. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I like the 1520 a lot. I'm really big on sharing vids, most important part of a smartphone to me.
59. iGeek (Posts: 105; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Bigger numbers ? Well I was brain washed until I got the note 3, though im writing this through my jailbroken iPhone 5! These bigger numbers you are talking about are key points in the user experience which Apple nailed before iOS 7! I'm saying my iPhone is bad, but we need better hardware. If they increased the screen size that wouldn't only be a number but will change the whole user experience same applies to cam. And so on !!
7. Feanor (Posts: 293; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I think this report contradicts another previous one that claimed that the next iPhone will be ultra-thin. I believe that things like a sizable, bright sensor and optical image stabilization cannot fit in a 6mm body. I think e.g. that you can fit easier a sensor with higher resolution in a slim body, than an 8MP sensor accompanied by OIS. All smartphones with OIS are thicker than 9mm except the Nexus 5 (which is also only marginally thinner).
But ultra-slim and OIS? I don't think it will happen soon. Which says something about the credibility of all these roumors.
9. power_x (Posts: 204; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
I don't think that OIS can be built into a 6mm thin smartphone
13. sergiobr (Posts: 392; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Is allways the same thing, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 "S".
14. VLaRueC (Posts: 107; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
This have anything to do with the amount of cloud storage they give each user?
21. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
No surprise here, Apple has been recycling their phone with minor upgrades since launch.
The 5S was a larger leap then normal, but still not nearly enough for me to look back and wish I hadn't given up my iPhone
50. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I have a Droid Ultra, and I love, I also have a GS3 but i rarely use it anymore. Touchwiz drives me nuts, and the reception is pathetic compared to my Moto. I just got a G Pad and sold my Galaxy Tab for that. I'm going to preorder the Z1S on T-Mobile as soon as it goes on preorder on the 13th, and I'm drooling over that.
I'm definitley not a Spec whore, hence my choice for the DROID over the GS4 or G2, but 8MP AGAIN seems pathetic IMO.
53. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Gnote 3, ip5s, iPad mini with retina. Apologies for the late response. +1
56. BRYLYNT (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
might want to read that story about sony's terrible battery issues before you take that leap. Especially coming from a droid ultra. You would go from getting great battery life to crap battery life.
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It already has the overall best camera, why screw it up.
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7354; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That I would disagree. Note 3 has a better camera than the 5S, and the Z1 and the 808/1020/1520/929 triumph all.
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Now that I have both devices Smurf, I think the 5S generally takes the better pics.
47. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5530; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
How can the L929 triumph anything? Unless you are talking about life in the virtual world.
36. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1551; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Why even upgrade anything at all then since the iPhone is perfect exactly how it is...really?
24. JEverettnow (Posts: 162; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
I am not an apple fan at all, but megapixels doesn't mean anything. My old Sony Cybershot with 7.2 megapixels took better photos than any camera phone today. Its all about the optics, firmware, and then lastly megapixels.
25. twagn (Posts: 15; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
8mp is fine, a larger sensor (1 2/3") faster aperture (f2.0) would be a nice improvement
41. twagn (Posts: 15; Member since: 02 Jan 2014)
I had a 4mp Canon S2IS ....6-7 year old tech that would embarrass any of the so called king of smartphone camera's..
42. Cha7520 (Posts: 208; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)
LOOK!!! An 8MP shooter! = Innovation! LMAO!
45. The_Innovation (Posts: 538; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Newsfash. This just in!
iPhone camera stays at 8 megapixels, yet takes better images than most phones with 13 megapixels!
46. jamesedward318 (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Dec 2010)
Funny how this debate has started over rumors and nothing factual. Let's argue over who killed 2pac, Biggie, John Lennon and JFK. Seriously folks relax!
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 10102; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lennons killer is known (Mark David Chapman), JFK's fatal shot came from the front, and tupac and biggie's murderers were senseless low life's. I do wonder who they are/were though.