RIM fined $147.2 million over 2008 patent case
The verdict comes at a bad time for RIM, which recently reported its first operating loss in eight years. With a stock price that has been sliced by 70% in the last year, the company is counting on the launch of its new BlackBerry 10 OS powered handsets to turn the company around.
1. SlimSoulja86 posted on 14 Jul 2012, 11:29 15 0
Shame! Can't they just let BB take a breath! I feel sort for them.
2. sid07desai posted on 14 Jul 2012, 11:32 11 0
*sorry. But you're right. They're barely managing finances by selling 6 million jets and now 147 million slap. Maybe it is all over for them.
4. ilia1986 posted on 14 Jul 2012, 11:44 10 0
Well, RIM is canadian, so is Justin Bieber.
Maybe it's a payback from god :P
7. downphoenix posted on 14 Jul 2012, 12:07 5 0
Well God should have went after Bieber first. He's more annoying.
8. Quezdagreat posted on 14 Jul 2012, 12:25 1 5
I guess it's ok for RIM to get fined for patents. But it's not ok if Samsung get punished.
12. wassup posted on 14 Jul 2012, 13:15 4 2
is RIM getting banned?
apple is trying to stifle innovation.
15. jroc74 posted on 14 Jul 2012, 15:17 3 2
Yea....nice way to try to side step what Apple is doing.....
Fined, license deals does NOT equal banning.
20. tedkord posted on 14 Jul 2012, 16:21 5 2
Don't bother with logic - iFans are immune. It would also be a waste if time to point out that RIM are being sued for an actual innovation from a company that actually developed it, not for a slide to unlock idea that was stolen to begin with, or for a basic geometric shape or color.
21. Quezdagreat posted on 14 Jul 2012, 17:53 1 4
I'm not surprise that you commented teddork
9. shamataa posted on 14 Jul 2012, 12:32 2 0
There's no way they will last another 5 months with that much fined. They are already a dead company.
10. valapsp posted on 14 Jul 2012, 12:45 0 0
WTF? Has RIM ever earned that much? Just kidding. ;)
11. roscuthiii posted on 14 Jul 2012, 13:10 3 0
Stop wiggling it around and just put that final nail in the damn coffin already. Sorry RIM, BB built you an empire but you let it fall into disrepair. Just a reminder that no matter how great the empire, shortsightedness and inflexibility lead to collapse. Have to keep pushing forward, not just sit tight and defend what you've got.
16. Ohrules posted on 14 Jul 2012, 15:18 3 0
it's about time that they changed the name to RIP
17. jroc74 posted on 14 Jul 2012, 15:22 0 0
Didnt know this was even going on. Makes you wonder what other old lawsuits will come out for other companies...
And I wonder who else they sued. Google is getting sued for Chrome by some company that I think successfully sued Apple for Safari...
18. Birds posted on 14 Jul 2012, 15:46 0 0
Oh, they're dead...sorry nothing they can do....I had faith but not anymore....I'll go to their funeral...