Nexus 5 camera compared against Nexus 4, spot the differences
This set of images comes courtesy of Google Plus user Adrian Salcu, an early Nexus 5 owner, and focuses on the low-light performance of the two Nexus phones. And the difference is huge.
Even though both the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 4 feature an 8-megapixel camera, you can see just how little this tells about the actual image quality. The difference comes because the two phones use totally different sensors and camera setups. The new Nexus has a larger 1/3.2" sensor and a wider f/2.5 aperture.
The images below are a great illustration of how this results in more light making way into images. The new Nexus also features optical image stabilization and this could be one of the reasons why many of the images below look sharper even in these dim-lit conditions.
Take a look at the camera samples from both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 below. Looking in comparison, it seems that the Nexus 5 camera really is a huge leap from the shooter in the Nexus 4, doesn’t it?
Nexus 5 camera compared against Nexus 4 Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
This Samsung Galaxy F (S5 Premium) concept looks almost real
07 Mar 2014, 23:59
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Nexus 5 camera compared against Nexus 4
source: Adrian Salcu
1. noler (Posts: 150; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
They seem to have learned something from Nokia!
4. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4579; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
But does Nokia and Microsoft has lerned something from them?
Try to troll harder. ;)
6. noler (Posts: 150; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
I hope there is something to learn from them.
P.S. Do not worry, if I start Trolling you'll will know.
28. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4579; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I have explained it in troll way since they don't understand it in normal way. :D
3. Shatter (Posts: 1751; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Finally no more red tint, I don't even use my nexus 4 for pictures its camera is so crappy.
5. HnT8906 (Posts: 10; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
woww..looks great to me..nexus 5 if far batter.
7. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3521; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Nice to see a Nexus device with LTE and a capable camera. Now all we need to see is how battery life is.
10. E.S.1 (Posts: 284; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
You are right... just the battery life.
That's the only thing preventing me from getting it and that's why I'm leaning towards LG G2 for now.
14. NexusPhan (Posts: 318; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I bet the N5 will have almost the same battery performance as the stock G2. LG's absolutely horrible, almost unusable software completely ruins any chance that phone has. Only get the G2 if you plan on rooting and flashing a custom ROM.
16. papss (Posts: 2903; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
You could call it a lot of things but it's far from unusable. It may be the most customizable skin out there
17. PBXtech (Posts: 470; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Doubt that. Picked up a G2 last week, only charged it once this past weekend.
19. szaboagoston (Posts: 30; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
Why would it be the same, when the G2 has 3000 mAh and the N5 has 2300? I believe we all would sign for the G2s battery performance. The G2s software is more interesting and customizable than touchwiz, at least in my opinion.
22. Shatter (Posts: 1751; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Better quality hardware and better optimization can make a huge difference in energy use. It was leaked in the manual that it does have some high energy efficiency parts.
26. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4579; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Why would it be the same, when the G2 has 3000 mAh and the N5 has 2300?"
Read his comment again, he has explained why.
8. sergiobr (Posts: 271; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Ok , now against S4 and other Androids top (Z1, LG G2 etc.). I don´t care about Nokia. I know that it´s the best camera-phone. But I prefer Android, no offense.
25. Klamba92 (Posts: 162; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
There is a video on the comparison between the n5 and s4 camera, here check it out!
9. silver (Posts: 9; Member since: 02 Aug 2012)
its look really great big improvement from nexus 4
11. sergiobr (Posts: 271; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Against note 3 ...http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-initial-photo-and-video-samples
13. TylerGrunter (Posts: 757; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I'm quite impressed. I would like to see a camera comparison (if possible a blind one) with the iPhone 5S, the LG G2, sony Xperia Z1 and Galaxy S4.
It may be the first time that a Nexus can compete against the real flagships.
And no, I didn't forget about the Lumia 1020, but I think it's stupid to add it to this kind of blind comparison as it's clear is going to win, and because (and this is just my opinion) it should compete just agains other camera phones.
Let's call it the "under 9 mm thick" comparison and call it a day.
And no, I didn't include the HTC One casue in the last blind test it was quite clear it had the works camera except for "low light", so it's useless to add it to the comparison.
20. VJo003 (Posts: 314; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
I hope it not the 2nd one!!!
Well done Nexus 5
21. marbovo (Posts: 414; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Campare nexus 5 against past year model is easy...
23. Shatter (Posts: 1751; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The point is nexus devices cameras have always sucked and now its good.
24. marbovo (Posts: 414; Member since: 16 May 2013)
How do you know it is good? do you have any comparison against others 2013 flagship?
27. siluro (Posts: 46; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yeah the Nexus 4 was awful, even in daylight pictures seemed colorless and dull... So it's good to know the Nexus 5 is a huge improvement, but still waiting on the PA comparison for more in-depth comparing to this year's flagships. I will be pleased with it so long as it out performs the S3, but hope it hangs with the S4!
30. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 258; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
There is on youtube n5 vs galaxy s4 camera comparison, front camera wins the s4. Rear camera n5...let's wait further details / vids tough
33. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 692; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Bye bye nexus 4, hello nexus 5. Well done Google.