Munster: Apple iPhone 5C could launch sans Siri
Munster says that some "software features" like Siri may be excluded from the low cost model. The Wall Street number cruncher forecasts that the iPhone 5C will end up retailing for $300. Apple is then expected to put the Apple iPhone 4S in mothballs and make the iPhone 5C its low end model. The analyst says that eliminating Siri on the low-cost model should be enough to differentiate the iPhone 5C from the iPhone 5S and prevent cannibalization of higher-end sales by the budget version of the phone.
As far as the new full-priced model is concerned, Munster sees a fingerprint scanner coming on the Apple iPhone 5S, but does not believe features like mobile payments will be ready for iOS 7 this year. Instead, he believes that the scanner will offer basic functions such as unlocking the phone. Securing payments using fingerprints won't occur until next year's iOS update, according to Munster. The long-time Wall Streeter expects a large-screened Apple iPhone and the Apple iWatch to come to market in the middle of next year.
source: MacRumors via FierceMobile
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1736; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
No biggie. First thing I did when I got my S4 is remove all the bloatware including S-voice.
12. PK1983 (Posts: 206; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
S Voice is worse than Siri, and Siri sucks.
16. jaychildz (Posts: 108; Member since: 31 May 2013)
i appreciate GoogleNow, simple & helpful and she doesn't talk too darn much
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 13574; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Google now is awesome. I have that, and Siri on my ip5, and of course my note 2 has it.
19. tedkord (Posts: 5606; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
S-voice is terrible. Google now is pretty awesome.
I wouldn't doubt they'd remove Siri from the 5c. Keep all the features, and whose going to buy the flagship 5s?
24. eric.kirkey26 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
For Me Well Boo You Because If No Siri On 5C All Diffently Go More Money For 5S
I Like The Siri Feature
2. ViBRATOt49 (Posts: 17; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
please just make the 5C $249 off contract! easy!
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
And you'd still choose that over the $300 LG G2 spec'd Nexus 5?
7. ViBRATOt49 (Posts: 17; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
no lol I hate my iPhone 5. I'm just saying . I want a g2
17. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Stop with this non-sense. The company still sales the iPod touch for $229 and that was pretty recent. This phone is going to cost over $400.
3. Tazer2365 (Posts: 46; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
I doubt siri would be excluded from the cheap iPhone. Just look at the iPod touch 5th generation, it has siri at a $300 price point.
4. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Yeah but the iPod touch isn't a phone, so it wont change the iPhone's sales. On the other hand, if they put Siri on the low cost iPhone, people might consider the low cost iPhone, and the higher cost iPhone will lose sales because of that.
15. zennacko (Posts: 236; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
If you can install WhatsApp, it won't make any difference from a phone lol
5. TwentyWendy (banned) (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
No biggie, I can download Google Now on app store, which will make ICS users envy anyway :)
8. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
So, this is basically an iTouch that's being remarketed. Gotta' give it to Apple, they really know how to stick it to their users so they can squeeze every little penny out of them.
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 13574; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If it retails for $300 then no biggie.
11. PK1983 (Posts: 206; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Fragmentation, FRAGMENTATION, FRAGMENTATION!!!!!!
13. trickster_qc (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
Even if Siri is left out of the iphone 5C jailbreakers will find a work around.
Especially if that phone is sold in Asia and emerging market. They will jailbreak it so fast Tim Cook's head will spin.
23. wky1998 (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
Jailbreak Siri never better than the original Siri anyway
20. aditya.k (Posts: 489; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Google must be happy. Google Now all the way! :D \m/
Stupid Cook. Doesn't know how to bake some good smartphones! :P