Motorola a "longtime love story" for Lenovo, courting reportedly started in 2011
1. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Hopely Motorola keeps that innovative spirit they got from Google. Moto X and G are awesome.
5. Tsoliades (Posts: 228; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
The only tech companies I like are T-Mobile and Motorola. If stupid Lenovo screws them up or slows down updates, I'm seriously going to be angry.
2. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11302; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
So what was the point of Google buying them in the first place?
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ummm. How about the patent portfolio? Also, Team Google probably had an attack of hubris and thought they could re-invent the hardware business.
7. Antimio (Posts: 313; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
The real question, my friend is, what was the point of Apple bidding for Nortel and creating the Rockstar Consortium? There's your answer :)
8. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Ha ha ha...hit him with an analogy he can understand!
Stay thirsty, my friends...
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Lenovo better be concerned with the Committee on Foreign Investment. Moto has a non-trivial supplier relationship with the U.S. government. Either that business will be spun-off or fire-walled, or the deal won't get done.
10. lsutigers (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
Most of the government business was with Motorola Solutions which was spun-off separately from Motorola Mobility. Motorola Mobility was the division Google owned and main whose business was mobile phones.
9. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
And in other news, China buys another healthy slice of Americana...
12. domfonusr (Posts: 384; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
Yep. I have previously heard that Lenovo was looking to become active in the US mobile tech market. Buying Moto is a big boost in those plans, and gets them in the door quicker and more easily.
13. jiezel91 (Posts: 67; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
I like this news really. Lenovo produces phones with great build quality and I can attest to that since I currently own a Lenovo P780. Very solid device with very good battery life! Probably, they would merge Lenovo's P Series and Motorola's Maxx series since both series focus on longer battery life.
Anyway, good to see that Lenovo are very determined to be successful.
15. WindowsiDroid (Posts: 133; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
I also have that phone and it does have better quality than any international phone brand in the same price except Nokia of course.
16. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
The OS in Lenovo sucks. The update is just a dream like typical random Chinese phones, they will forget the owner of old phones. There are only few available custom ROMs and most of them are crap & flaw. Most of Lenovo phones use mediatek which has poor performance & crappy GPS. I'm done with Chinese phones. (This is a true story from Lenovo user because I'm the owner of a Lenovo phone too)
14. TechBlue (Posts: 80; Member since: 06 May 2010)
oh man thats like a Chinese Restaurant serving apple pie