Microsoft signs patent deal with LG, now milking 70% of all US Android smartphones
8. snowgator posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:40 1 0
And I would be all over praising Apple if they, Samsung, HTC and all the others must hammered out these types of deals.
2. Azure01 posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:14 4 3
Wow so microsoft realizes how powerful Android is and would rather own it than compete against it...not surprising.
5. Mozarrt posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:36 2 0
And Google blocking Windows Phone 3rd party apps to use Youtube...not surprising.
6. jellytime posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:37 4 0
They probably do this so they can use the money to improve wp7.
9. snowgator posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:43 2 0
While no one really knows or those that know are not saying, yes most rumors say that the money they get from Android does go to support WP. Would make sense.
3. eddieoliveira posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:22 0 0
What is the IP from Microsoft that Android is infringing?
4. bossmt_2 posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:26 9 0
This is what happens when you own a real patent, not hyper vague patents,
10. snowgator posted on 12 Jan 2012, 09:45 1 0
By the way, it says a lot for the huge cash cow that is Android that manufacturers can sign these types of deals and still make millions off of Android. I cannot wrap my head around these huge numbers.
12. Tux4g63 posted on 12 Jan 2012, 10:15 2 3
They are not making as much money as we all think they are. Android is hugely popular with consumers, but that is because a lot of the content is free. It is not a hugely profitable "cash cow" like iOS, and even WP7 apps make more money on average. The manufacturers are taking a hit when they produce Android phones, because margin wise, believe it or not, Android phones still lag behind blackberry devices.
13. cdgoin posted on 12 Jan 2012, 10:32 3 0
IF ANYONE saw Windows 6.51 you would know what they are infringing on.. for that matter any of the previous WindowsMobile creations. MS Invented the smart phone when they merged the PDA with the phone in 2000. Everyone forgets that there is a lot of tech patents that different companies have to pay for.. I think Kodak is getting like $1 on any digital camera/smart phone out there because of their patents.
22. dallas90733 posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:52 0 0
CD, I am looking at a a window 6.1-6.5 HTC Mogul and I have my SGSII in my hand, where is the infringe you are referring too?
The ONLY two thing these phones have in common is Custom Roms and removable battery..and we all know you ALWAYS have to pull the battery from Microsoft wm-6xx
Microsoft should buy back ( FULL PRICE) anyone who brought this junk
14. InspectorGadget80 posted on 12 Jan 2012, 10:38 0 2
M$-PATENT TROLL. How can u be so proud of youself M$ when youre just bad as Apple. They might not as well make Android products. This is really pissing me off
15. gallitoking posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:09 0 10
fandroids get mad because Apple wants their money( by suing).. now.. but is ok for MS to get it in monthly installments...
17. iamcc posted on 12 Jan 2012, 12:26 7 0
Fandroids get mad because Apple sues to ban, not for money.
C'mon gallito. Really?
18. The_Miz posted on 12 Jan 2012, 13:07 1 7
Maybe if Android would be more "original" instead of copying, well...
21. ILikeBubbles posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:35 3 0
original like having a pulldown notification bar and live widgets? oh wait.... Apple invented those back in 2000 they just didn't implement them till 2011....
19. gallitoking posted on 12 Jan 2012, 14:15 0 3
look CC Apple will gets its money.. they can get it in a lump sum by suing or in monthy payments by settlement.... they want the money now..... sorry forgat you were an Android user and have to repeat it... keep forgetting
16. jibraihimi posted on 12 Jan 2012, 11:34 1 4
This is the reson Steve Balmer looks more happy when a new android phone is launched....... Because he's earning more revenue from the droids, than from his own WP7.......... :)
20. ILikeBubbles posted on 12 Jan 2012, 15:34 0 0
so.... im confused on the "mutual beneficial" part of this..
25. Penny posted on 14 Jan 2012, 02:28 0 0
Microsoft benefits by getting cash. The infringing companies benefit by getting licenses for the patents in questions and are therefore protected from being sued for those infringements. I'm guessing it goes even beyond that and allows the OEMs to use some other patents in Microsoft's portfolio at reduced/no cost.
23. Forsaken77 posted on 13 Jan 2012, 11:18 0 0
Microsoft has ALL the biggest Android manufacturers under its' patent portfolio. That's pretty impressive. They said they have 70% of all Android manufacturers.... so 30% are doing something different that doesn't infringe on MS's patents. I'm curious as to why HTC, Samsung ect... don't circumvent the patents that MS holds like the other 30% are doing.
PA: Please find out what patents these are
24. systamatics posted on 13 Jan 2012, 14:25 0 0
what ip thing!! and why cant google work around it?!