Latest leaked render of Nokia Normandy reveals a Metro UI start screen
Leaked render of the Nokia Normandy reveals its Start Screen
A tweet from master leaker evleaks reveals a new render of the unannounced Nokia Normandy. This is the entry-level phone built by Nokia that purportedly will run a forked version of Android, which means no Google Play Store and no Google branded apps. The image shows off a Metro UI styled start screen that resembles the Start Screen for Windows Phone.
The render also reveals the device will offer dual-SIM capabilities, and follows up on a couple of leaked images that we showed you last week and also over the weekend. One tweet showed a series of images revealing the UI of the device. If you subscribe to the "where there's smoke there's fire" way of thinking, all of these leaks means that we are closing in on a release of the device.
In a way, this could be considered a Trojan Horse for Microsoft. By the time the Redmond based software giant closes on its purchase of Nokia's Devices and Services division, the Normandy might already be launched, turning responsibility for the phone over to Microsoft, too late to quash it if so desired.
source: @evleaks via WMPoweruser
1. aranauser (Posts: 47; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Loads of questions in my mind after seeing these leaks
13. akki20892 (Posts: 3248; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
there there there there there there..........that's it guys it's here. Can't wait for that...........................bring it on nokia quickly as possible.......................................Go Go Go Nokia........!!
That phone is Charming over there!!!
15. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
One of them surely is that "How the hell did MS allow for something like this?"
41. SandraB (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Why not just realese a real ANDROID phone ???
2. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It would be nice if it has the Symbian-like UI, but metro UI? Oh well, can't complain too much, the Nokia Android phone is almost here.
29. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
"Symbian-like UI", just like Asha phones having the Meego-like UI.
32. __0__ (Posts: 225; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
As the owner of 2 symbian phone n97 and 5800 also my dad used to own a satio . Symbian UI is very outdated and very dead
35. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I know, but it would be great if Nokia redesign the Symbian UI. But since Nokia abandoned Symbian, it won't happen.
53. tasior (Posts: 173; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Both N97, and 5800 are 2009 phones. Since then there were Symbian^3, Symbian Anna, and Symbian Belle with two feature packs. At the end Symbian looked a lot like Android, just smoother (yet still buggy, from time to time). So UI wasn't outdated when Symbian was dropped. That being said. I have no idea, how 'Symbian like UI' would look like on android, since at the end Symbian was looking almost like android...
54. __0__ (Posts: 225; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
After symbian S60 , symbian basically became android ripoff that are still laggy . So that's why I don't mention them
3. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
LMFAO.. This is just a old prototype.. The project has been scrapped, and this device, nor any other Nokia branded device running Android, will see the light of day in the next few years.. We don't know what the distant future holds, but you guys have a better chance of MS making a Android device, than Nokia making one... Sorry.
4. AstronautJones (Posts: 240; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Yeah. Surely you know more than the guy with the best track record at exposing leaks in the entire industry.
7. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
But he's Steve Ballmer's brother, Rodney Ballmer. :P
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7354; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You seem more confident than evleaks, who has proven to be correct time after time.
44. nokia12 (Posts: 273; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
This is comming from Nokia ... the true Nokia .. and not micro eflop Nokia... ms deserves a middle finger for ruining Nokia..
51. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Wrong. This device is from the same era that has been producing Lumia devices.. What makes you think it was developed before Nokia, and MS started working together, or after MS acquires the devices division❔.. Your comment makes no sense..
9. alterecho (Posts: 1054; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Though this has has Metro UI, I believe this is waaaay better than the annoying Windows Phone.
12. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
But it looks exactly the same.. You can make a WP start screen look exactly like this.... Crazy, pathetic bias.
20. alterecho (Posts: 1054; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Its whats under the looks of Windows Phone thats more annoying.
25. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Don't even try with this dude, it's not worth it.
He's Elop's pool boy.
37. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3208; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
You're smarter than he is, at least... Great advice you're giving him.
19. __0__ (Posts: 225; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Why fork android and then make it look like windows phone ? Why do this device even exist the Lumia 520 is the best selling budget smartphone ever
26. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
It's one big beta test...and a "swan song".
47. papss (unregistered)
How in the hell could you know that? Stop trolling dude
17. Bioload25 (Posts: 189; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Even if it isnt compatible with Google apps,I think putting Android in a device has a lot of pros,since you can put a notification center with ease,easy-acess shortcuts for wifi,bluetooth,etc.. and (maybe) more customization options than WP or iOS
46. sianto (Posts: 65; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
It was a prototype to show Microstfu that they're not going fast enough with their software, and then MS bought Nokia to change that!
21. hurrycanger (Posts: 774; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
If it really has a UI like that and no Play Store, I would rather go with a Lumia.
22. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 213; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
I think someone is trolling bigtime with these leaks. Cant see any point in such phones when you can buy Android smartphones for as low as $50.
28. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Not with Nokia build-quality and design, you can't.
Plus, the Nokia name alone is bigger in a lot of countries than many other manufacturers.
Ironically, Nokia is about to offer their own alternative for those not interested in WP.
23. mmmanuuu (Posts: 206; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
windows is trying to move away from the metro tile ui for their future os more like an android/ios ui and now asha android is adapting it ?
36. elitewolverine (Posts: 1154; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
That rumor was debunked by MS themselves at CES that live tiles are here to stay including in the 8.1 update.
No reason to move away from them, it is the one unifying feature of windows at this point.
Iphone has icons, droid has icons, Ubuntu has icons, no one has live tiles. Yes live tiles are much more useful to me than the icons on my note 3
27. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 686; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Does no one see the possibility that this could be an evolution of the Asha OS instead of an Android fork?
30. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
They already had some network test data that showed it was a Nokia device with an Android kernal.
31. corporateJP (Posts: 1520; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
33. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1044; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Nobody wonders why the only button on the front is a back button?
34. .KRATOS. (Posts: 99; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Android without playstore and no branded Google app, what does it mean than?
38. faizan-sharif (Posts: 52; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
with no play store and google supported apps?
the second question that comes to my mind is we can install some apps through .apk files, then who cares? i will go with Nokia android that will have resell value, in my country people are crazy for nokia for their build quality and few people will buy with out warranty handset and used ones if it is from nokia or apple, and you knw very less difference in price of new device and that used one
45. hemedans (Posts: 78; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
this is my dream android phones no google service. i like nokia maps, city lens and drive more than i like google maps.
if i can side load .apk files then its okay for me i dont need playstore. i think nokia will share store with amazon and create their ecosystem, and if nokia has future with android they will create their own store for future use.
48. GJanee (Posts: 211; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
it kind of saddens me and i find it kind of lame and somewhat pathetic how droidboys yearn for an android nokia. especially how they flame WP and it's users.
get over it, it'll likely never happen.
this render is either a fake (anyone can render stuff like this these days, i mean look: PA is flooded with tons of s5 wannabe renders).
at most, normandy will only use the kernel of some version of droid but modified to nokia needs, and most likely resemble an asha/meego os. nothing to do with google, nothing to do with android.
49. sonisoe (Posts: 320; Member since: 06 May 2009)
hopefully google play is still accessible, otherwise no point, altho i wonder how app icons are organised on the home screen... i mean these icons are not tiles
50. meeaaoon (Posts: 18; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
What is the point to use Android if you they are gonna make it look like a windows phone... :s however its a good start hopefully we'll get flagship android phone from nokia..