How to root the Galaxy S5 on Verizon/AT&T, or just about any Android phone easily with the new Towelroot
More popular slideshows
LG G3 - 40 Tips & Tricks for LG's most powerful smartphone ever
25 Jul 2014, 01:36
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
5 Android L themes, launchers and icon packs to install while you wait
25 Jul 2014, 03:23
LG G3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: vote for the better phone
25 Jul 2014, 06:01
The best Android browsers, 2014 edition: design, features, and performance
23 Jul 2014, 09:49
Did you know: 5 interesting facts about Android L
20 Jul 2014, 10:02
2. peace247 (Posts: 75; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
Can i root moto g using this and if yes do i need to unlock the bootloader first....?
13. sprockkets (Posts: 1084; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
There is one by jcase for moto phones, but again no system write access.
4. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2056; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
What's the story with the latest kernel, though? Still screwed?
5. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3882; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
No root for the newest Motorola devices. Tried it on my Droid Mini, no luck.
From geohot in the source thread:
"Newest Moto and HTC don't currently work because /system is write protected."
It would've been nice to have a one step root for my Droid Mini. I know there are other methods, but I don't feel like putting in the effort.
7. avmitking (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Aug 2011)
not working for my Note II build version N7100XXUFND3 dated 8th Apr, 14
8. fzacek (Posts: 1249; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Couldn't he have come up with a better name than "towelroot"? Like, what do towels have to do with rooting an Android phone? Lol...
9. Planterz (Posts: 576; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I'm gonna guess it's a Douglas Adams reference. Never go anywhere without your towel.
15. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1553; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Same thing about Redsn0w and Acid ra1n. What do those have to do with jailbreak? At least towelroot has the word root in it.
19. DonShock (Posts: 7; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
It worked fine on my ATT Note3. But it was a no-go on my S3Mini.