Facebook 1.5 now ready for Android Market
Android users have had an inferiority complex about their Facebook app for some time when compared to the version available for iOS. Even Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg said last month that the build of his site for Android was not up to the same level as the app made for the Apple iPhone. Now with two highly demanded features integrated into the Android version of Facebook, perhaps the gap has been filled and both Android and iOS device owners can have the same Facebook experience from their handsets.
Let us know what you think about the upgrade, and whether or not the Facebook app for Android 1.5 now evens the playing field with the iOS version of the software, by dropping off a message in the comment box below.
1. messiah (Posts: 433; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)
Why do you need to chat with people on Facebook from your mobiles through an apps? You have a mobile, statistically the other person does too..... So text.... Texting is FASTER. EASIER. And stops all the rhetoric whining.
14. SMB (Posts: 30; Member since: 02 Aug 2010)
Why do you have thumbs down? You make the most valid and realistic point I have seen in a while on this site.
2. Dave (unregistered)
I use the FB chat its easier and you can also chat with people you dont have no. of. D'uh!
3. messiah (Posts: 433; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)
If you don't know their phone numbers..... You call them friends? Raise the bar.
6. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
it's obviously a great feature because it's INSTANT messaging bird brain. how is text messaging faster? i'm in situations all the time when i want to Facebook chat from my phone, like when i have to cut a conversation short cause i have to leave and this may surprise phone geeks like us but some people actually don't HAVE texting or they have a cap.
7. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
They're Facebook friends for a reason. Limiting them to acquaintances.
I guess you keep all your friends on the same social level. Facebook isn't something you use that's used to have your own secretive little boy group, it's a social network. Learn what a social network is.
9. messiah (Posts: 433; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)
Lol. Learn to be social. A friend isn't a mere "add" click to for thousand people. You have to be there for tears. Buy beers. Drive to hospitals. Stand next to at weddings. How many people do you really act like a friend to in Facebook..... A chatting apps don't cut it. By the way.... get a plan with texting. More affordable than a data plan you need for those apps if you are truly penny pinching.... or, ask a friend..... ;)
10. messiah (Posts: 433; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)
I apologise. Wrong arena. Ethics is another domain altogether.
12. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
i don't add people to my facebook just for the sake of adding them out of following some "social network code" i add them because they are on some social level with me and the whole point of having Facebook chat integration is because people might not have smartphones either it's done with people on their computers, what kind of dumb person would have a smartphone without texting? really?
13. Bug (unregistered)
I'm french, and I have friends in the US that I can't text cause it cost money so Facebook chat will be a great new function the Android app.
Get out of your self centered world guys and think about other people. And by the way, it's ridiculous to fight over that subject.
8. allen (unregistered)
I recently bought iphone 4. it is awsome mobile phone for me. The feature you stated is really impressive the way it works smartly.
iPhone Spy Software
11. slimballa2002 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Dec 2010)
Yea i just downloaded it... I like it, but i just cant seem to get the chat to work. But the notification thing is cool. I think i should be notified on more things than just friend requests, events, and messages.... who cares about events??? Now i would love to be notified when someone comments on my picture or when i am tagged on something. or post to my wall. those are the things that are important on facebook.
15. Kevinx (unregistered)
"Push notifications" (other than with "chat").... Where?? :-(
Android DesireHD runnin v2.2 (FroYo)
16. Kevinx (unregistered)
Oops, runnin = running 8-/
17. Phil4 (unregistered)
Check ReChat (facebook chat for android):http://refineandroid.doodlekit
- multiple accounts;
- plain/bubble views. Customize avatar/font sizes.
- font packs (download separate apk to keep memory).
- full Unicode support;
- favorites (always in contact list);
- customize income message notification: default sound/your sound file, LED, vibration, status bar notification.
- chat history. Export (email) selected messages, open chat messages, whole history for a contact, whole history for all contacts. Archive attachment with 7zip.
- all non-chat permissions are revoked, customize period, "revoke now".
- upload image/short video (several share options)
- send image/short video to a contact (private wall post).
- send message to a contact (as a private event or private wall post).
- set status message.
18. na (unregistered)